Customer reviews

on 8 September 2011
White Male Heart strays into some of the darker quarters of human experience but it draws us in there through the inviting Scottish countryside, through comic and romantic characters and settings. When we arrive in the darkness we are uncomfortably comfortable.
A great read.
on 15 July 2001
From the first chapter I was instantly lost in the book. The more it continued the more difficult it became to put the book down. The beauty of the Scottish Highlands and its people really do come alive. Absolutly brilliant!! Highly recommended to everybody.
on 12 July 2001
Purchased for my flight to Hong Kong - I liked the cover - this was an unexpected gem. Wonderfully evocative descriptions of the splendour and changing moods of the highlands interwoven with moments of great comedy and high violence make this a thoroughly entertaining story that maintains a lurking sense of dread until its well constructed end. A very good read and highly recommended.
on 6 August 2002
As a lover of the Scottish Highlands, Nicoll's vivid descriptions of the landscape struck a particular chord with me, and his ability to put across the barren beauty of the area made this a particularly atmospheric read. At times, though, his writing style jarred - many of his anologies seemed rather forced. Although I enjoyed the read, it ultimately left me feeling unsatisfied. If Nicoll had been as adept at bringing characters to life as he was the with the landscape, and if he had concentrated more on the psychology and motivations behind the increasinly barbaric behaviour of some of the characters, then the book would have got 4 or 5 stars from me.
on 7 July 2001
With no preconceptions and no idea of what I should expect from this last minute "Heathrow pre-flight" buy. I settled into what could have been the usual mediocre, overly egocentric and semi literate unfinished work with the longevity of a National Enquirer article. Settling in to read intermitinently between 30 minutes snoozes I found myself moving deeper into the loves, lives and excentricities of each of the pure and complete central characters. In the three seasons during which you are guided through the Highland landscape and rural cycle by the knowledgeable writings of a voice that can truely represent on the page a Scottish Highland's that I have known my whole life, beauty, beasts, biggots, bastards and all that lie between. The violence, the love, the lust and the church are all reality and a reality that needed to be set in print. I could ramble for days on this novel that is now hastily making the rounds rapidly amongst friends on the US West Coast but, to do so may only deny you the time you could better dedicate to enriching your own world by entering honest world created by Mr. Nicoll
on 13 February 2002
This is a masterfully crafted portrait of love, dependence, and tragedy set in the Scottish Highlands. Nicoll's descriptions of the world his characters inhabit crackle with fiery beauty and menace, and his unerring knack for dialogue gives them humanity.
Ruaridh Nicoll is a voice that we'll hear from again, and hopefully soon.
on 29 February 2016
Great
VINE VOICEon 18 December 2002
I was recommended this book by a friend though she was in two minds about what it was actually about. Comparing it to books like Under The Skin also set in the Highlands it doesnt ring true at all. Ok the description of sleety overcast days is quite accurate an the ruggedness of the landsacpe is convincing but the actual relationship,betwwen the two boys is unconvincing and comprimised to such an extent that by the time you get to the end you thik - why did I bother?
Egnore the hype go on holiday to the Highlands and dont read the book!!!