1,639

on 15 February 2005
I loved this book. I'm not an anti-religious person but growing up I have become more aware of the obvious fact that the second half of the bible is just tales/stories/fiction based on Jesus' life to control the masses.
I'm glad that this book has been as successful as it is as i'm sick of church goers pushing false stories on people that 'don't believe'. Its not that I don't have faith and block out any idea of a higher power but there are always two sides to every storey.
I'm guessing that the bad reviews left on this book are either religious people that are angry at 'another point of view' or just didn't enjoy the read.
It personally opened my eyes to the world that science determined earth and the stories of parting seas and walking on water were ways of captivating the audience... All subterfuges i'm afraid!
Religion is a bad obsession
on 11 April 2005
I was encouraged to read this book by my auntie, who bought me a copy, I started reading it on the plane to Spain on Xmas day, and I annoyed my father considerably by for the following few days, constantly reading, regardless of the weather!
I was totally engulfed by the storyline, it was explosive as well as interesting. I was fascinated by the notions that Dan Brown put foward about Mary Magdalene etc. I really felt like I was part of the plot, and began to resent having to go to sleep at night as it stole valuable reading time! I soon found myself looking up the pictures, places and images on the internet desperately trying to solve the clues myself! Needless to say that I was particularly impressed when the illustrated version was released!
If you enjoy mystery novels, then you will appreciate Dan Brown's genius creation that has become the cult of the da vinci code!
on 28 September 2013
you never know, it could be true!!! There is a lot of things hidden in the name of religion. The film is not bad either
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 December 2010
The book was brilliant. It was fast paced, thrilling, and once you get reading, you would not want to put it down.
on 6 June 2006
the book was too long and drawn out but once i got into reading it, i enjoyed it. it was ok but i've read better.
on 31 May 2006
Brown or Baigent have not discovered anything, really! It was Pierre Plantard a Frenchmen with a passion for drugs, mainly LSD, who under their influence wrote and planted many 'true' documents ... which were at the basis for the above authors' books!

Oh ... by the way, not only Plantard was a 'real' discendant of Christ ... obviously he also was the True King of France ... all 'documented' by the man himself!!! Mind you ... that too could find followers!!!

But after all, nodoby knows the true identity of Shakespeare and many theories have been found, followed and believed ... still it detracts nothing from his great work! I think the same could be said for Jesus Christ ... by the way I'm not a religious fanatic ... just observing what is going on ...
on 30 October 2004
What an amazing book! At first, when I started reading "The Da Vinci Code", I found it hard to get hooked. But as soon as the action in the Louvre exploded, I could not put the book aside.
Dan Brown explains and reveals to a "normal" person a whole new universe of gripping theories and truly changes the way of viewing some of the happenings in this world.
We always knew that something was going on, something was wrong and yes, that there's more than meets the eye when we look at the church, world religions and war and peace.
What a great opportunity, a great way of thinking Dan Brown proposes here.
I am sure he hasn't only pushed me into what seems to be an ocean of treasures, secrets and fascinating revelations of this magical world.
on 16 June 2005
The 'prophecy' happens to bring us a semi-fictional story around the search of the Holy Grail. Simbology, history and a surprising unknown version of the birth of Christianity and The Church -in which Da Vinci's mastery has something to proclaim- are intertwined in harmony and intelligent manner.
The thread of intrigue and suspense is well illustrated with scenes of action, police investigation and academic reflections by Robert Langdom, professor of Religious Simbology at Harvard University.
This is one of those books in which the content and writer's initial purpose are magically transformed by his own characters: the prophecy to happen by the end of the Era of Piscis comes to reality in this extraordinary and worldwide acclaimed book.
on 4 January 2014
I believed it was an immensely clever book and will look forward to reading the next. Well done Dan Brown!
on 31 December 2004
I bought the Da Vinci Code on Sunday 26 December, in the afternoon. I couldn't put it down and finished it on Tuesday 28 December. A lot of the facts I had heard before - I'm an avid watcher of Sky Discovery/History/Civilisation - but the way Dan Brown tied this book together was spellbinding. As a teacher I don't usually have much time for recreational reading, but since finishing Da Vinci Code, I have also read Angels and Demons - equally enthralling!!! I am now on Deception Point and although the scenario is new world, rather than old, I am enjoying very much. I hope Dan Brown is already working on his next novel, and I hope he sticks to the 'old world' scenario. More More More please.