on 8 May 2017
I am only halfway through this book but it's got me hooked. It's the first book I've read by this author but I will be looking for others by him now. It's a lovely story and very thought provoking. I have so far cried from the second chapter in, it's really touched me. Would highly recommend reading but be prepared for the emotional rollercoaster!
on 20 October 2017
I found this book when on holiday in America and what a find. I simply couldn't put it down. There are so many sentences that you just must read over and over again. The book can really change your life. I came home and immediately purchased the book for my daughter
on 18 July 2017
Excellent book about our attitudes to life and death, with positive ideas and thoughts. A book I will read and re-read.
on 22 February 2015
I read this book after reading Mitch Albom's other literary great, The five people you meet in heaven. Having been a little disappointed with that particular book, I was unsure just how Tuesdays with Morrie woulc pan out for me. But I was not disappointed at all this time round. There are many, many reviews on this book so I am not going to go into the storyline in any detail, or the messages it relates on the meaning of our lives in a modern world. I would just like to say, give the book a try. It is not a long book and is a pretty easy read, but you will feel you get to know Morrie pretty well and the lessons he has learned in his life that he wishes to pass on will hopefully strike a cord with you. It is uplifting and thought provoking, especially around the subject of reaching the end of life, which is a subject we mostly try to avoid.
on 27 April 2012
Publisher: Sphere

Genre: non-fiction, true-life,

ISBN: 978-0-7515-2981-4

This is a truly inspirational book.

It is the true life narration of two periods of time in the lives of Mitch Albom and Morrie Schwartz.

Morrie was Mitch's college professor for his sociology studies. He inspired Mitch as a young man and they parted with affection when Mitch graduated. Mitch promised to stay in touch but as so often happens he didn't manage to keep his promise.

Many years later when Morrie was dying of an incurable wasting disease Mitch re-made contact and the book chronicles the weekly visits he paid to Morrie at the end of his life and the life lessons that Morrie taught him at these times.Morrie Schwartz was obviously a remarkable man and anybody who actually knew him must have been extremely blessed.

The writing style was clear and easy to read and I found this book extreme.y enjoyable and inspirational. I will be reading more by Mitch Alobm

personal read 5/5

Group 5.5

The philosophicak ideas would provide reams of discusson options.
on 31 December 2016
As a psychologist helping individuals in organizational settings to be clear about where they want to go, I stress the importance of becoming very clear about what really matters to them personally. One way of doing this is to think what you would like to look back on at the end of your life. Another, rather macabre, approach is to imagine the eulogy you might receive at your funeral. This book provides a real life example of the career advice given by a wise old man dying of motor neurone disease in response to questions from an apparently successful former student in his thirties about what is important in life. This is summarized at one point as “love, responsibility, spirituality, awareness”. Though the situation portrayed is more extreme and the contextual references a little dated (the events took place in 1995) there is enough similarity to the questions I get asked for the advice given to be highly relevant today. With corporate and political ethics coming under increasing scrutiny the need for a personal compass has seldom been greater. For those who don’t ‘do’ books, a film was made (a DVD is available) which I have not seen but which seems from the reviews to lack the impact of this really quite short and readable book.
on 18 August 2014
I used to really like it when I was younger, but as I grew up I realized it isn't as deep as I thought it was the first time I read it. The author describes its relationship with the professor and all he learned from Morrie, but I think he might have tried too hard in showing how this lesson is the greatest life lesson. It is a good book, but it is not the life's greatest lesson, there have been loads of ancient philosophers and nobody has ever had all the answers to life and the truth about all the questions we ask ourselves. Neither does Morrie. I do think he must have been a very nice and wise wee man. Worth a reading but don't expect life's greatest lesson, it is not something someone can teach you, it comes from life experiences I suppose.
on 19 June 2014
I read this as part of a book club choice and if I'm honest I probably wouldn't have bought it normally. I thought it was going to be a bit dull. How wrong I was, a little gem of a book, that had me blubbing most of the way through. It tells the story of Morrie, a beloved professor of Mitch Albom but one he hadn't seen for many years. Morrie has ALS, a debilitating disease that gradually takes over the body rendering it useless. Mitch finds out his 'coach' is dying and ends up visiting him every Tuesday. Here Morrie gives him lessons in life, wise words and is very honest and frank about dying. It's not a long book and I read it in two sittings, but it was very emotional and very thought provoking.
on 1 October 2013
Having just heard my best friend had been diagnosed terminally ill and has been given 3-6 months to live, I felt this book might help me come to terms with how this devastating news made me feel! From the moment I started reading this title, I realised there are different ways in which to handle all types of emotion. I also felt this would also be helpful for my best friend in dealing with her terrible diagnosis, and how she might deal with the raw emotions of her immediate family including her two sons. Very well written, powerful messages throughout the whole book, and more than anything allowed me to come to terms with some of my own demons which this book really helped in bringing to the surface within myself. Very highly rated, more people to read it that have issues!! I have yet to receive feedback from my friend, but with any luck it will help her through the next few months.
on 9 March 2015
I love this book, despite having me in tears at the end! There is a amazing lesson to be learned from reading this - make the most of this life, because once you're gone, you're gone. There are some unappreciative people in this world that could really benefit from reading this book.

Not only did I buy myself this book but I've bought it for about five people I know as present and they all agree how lovely this book it.

I just can't RECOMMEND it enough! BUY THIS BOOK!