on 17 September 2017
A candid book on motivations to write, dealing with oneself and finding the courage to speak up. Filled with compassion and little jokes. I found myself having to share passages with those around me. Annes got a very pointed wit that makes the book a great read. I will be recommending this one in future!
on 8 October 2017
A Fantastic book especially for people wishing to write fiction
on 2 October 2017
Bok in excellent condition
on 20 February 2016
I absolutely adore this book. Sure, if you're after a book of writing advice about plotting, dialogue, characterisation, etc, this probably isn't going to help a huge amount. I would recommend 'Novel Writing - a Handbook' or 'On Writing' by Stephen King, for more practical instructions and advice. What this book is really good for - and I would say unparalleled in anything else I have read - is providing inspiration, comfort, reassurance, and motivation. The front cover says tips 'for writing and life' and it is exactly that - I often dip in and out of it when I want a little lift of positivity. It is corny in parts, but I actually love that; reading a few pages injects me with a feeling of being in love with life and with writing. It doesn't tell me how to write a story outline or realistic dialogue; but it does have me chomping at the bit to reach for the pen and get my thoughts down.
on 27 April 2017
on 9 February 2017
It’s funny, it’s helpful, and it is honest; probably the most important quality of all. “I think perfectionism is based on the obsessive belief that if you run carefully enough, hitting each stepping-stone just right, you won’t have to die. The truth is that you will die anyway and that a lot of people who aren’t even looking at their feet are going to do a whole lot better than you, and have a lot more fun while they’re doing it.” Whether you are just starting out, or like me, have been scribbling away for years, you are bound to get something meaningful from this book. So do yourself a favour – don’t pass it by, and of course, it will be all the easier to spot if you quit looking at your feet!
on 24 February 1999
I haven't read a book I have enjoyed this much in years. I can not find a single line in the book that I didn't love. You should read this whether or not you have any interest in writing. This book cracked me up, made me think, gave me pause. I have gone out and purchased all of her other books.
on 7 February 1999
When writing my first book, I hit an all too familiar wall which was a lifetime of writer's block that had paralyzed me many times before. A friend recommended I read Bird By Bird. I did, and through reading Ann's words, with all her wisdom and practical advice, a door to my inner voice opened up and the book flowed. Not only did I complete the book (on deadline!) and get it published, but people tell me the book reads like a novel, with the sound of my voice warm, clear and engaging throughout. This is the greatest reward ---a non-fiction book that came from my soul and that people can connect with. (ORGANIZING FROM THE INSIDE OUT, 1998) Thank you, Ann LaMott, and thank you Bird by Bird. I highly recommend this book to anyone who struggles with writing.
on 4 August 1998
I picked this book up after hearing an audiotape of Anne Lamott talking about creativity and writing. I am not a writer or writter wannabe; I just liked her story telling. In reading "Bird by Bird," I discovered the same entertaining, laugh-out-loud story telling, used to teach her own particular brand of "how to write." It also became clear to me that the principles and techniques she was presenting are universal - they apply not only to writing, but to any pursuit or activity in life. The book is, in fact, a guide to living (intended? unintended? who knows, and who cares...). So whether you're looking for specific techniques for writing (in particular, fiction), looking for an entertaining read, or want to have your thinking provoked, I highly recommend "Bird by Bird." (Incidentally, as a result of reading the book, I was inspired to do some recreational writing...)
on 4 December 2007
Lamott is absolutely damn right that if all you care about is getting yourself published you will never get published! (She speaks about her classes with humour- making fun of herself rather than her students). What you should be focussing on is becoming a better writer. I found the advice in this book given with irony and a kind of self-deprecation- I didn't find it at all prescriptive. It was very funny and reassuring and I found myself identifying on many many points. She is talking to us about some of the real personal issues that arise from writing, a kind of neurosis that I myself certainly empathise with. If you are the kind of person who thinks they can sit down at a desk and within an hour have bashed out something that'll 'do' you wont get anything out of this book. As for her telling people her way is the way to do things- she is simply telling us all how she does things and doesn't pretend otherwise. It's very easy to write a 'how to' manual but this is a very different kind of book.

If you are thinking of buying this book and what an extremely insightful, funny and personal account of writing that will truly make you feel you aren't alone in the world- then buy this. If, on the other hand, you want something that'll tell you how to write a bestseller in four weeks and make you rich- don't bother. Just go back to writing your plot-driven melodramas.