on 13 December 2017
Anne Lamott has a passion for writing, for family and for loving her fellow human beings. Despite her own difficulties in life she shares without holding back and this book is a joy to read. For anyone struggling to get words on a page - read this and be consoled. It's not as easy as you think, but it can be done.
on 20 November 2017
I like it - in parts. Sometimes I feel the author is trying too hard to be funny and I am not sure what point she is trying to make.... over the space of 3 pages! Has some valuable tips for writers though. Not much that we do not know.
on 27 November 2017
Brilliant book, arrived promptly, decent condition. Recommended.
on 21 November 2017
If you're a writer and you're ever stuck, read Anne Lamott. She has a great sense of humour and she an equally great turn of phrase.
on 17 September 2017
A candid book on motivations to write, dealing with oneself and finding the courage to speak up. Filled with compassion and little jokes. I found myself having to share passages with those around me. Annes got a very pointed wit that makes the book a great read. I will be recommending this one in future!
on 9 February 2017
It’s funny, it’s helpful, and it is honest; probably the most important quality of all. “I think perfectionism is based on the obsessive belief that if you run carefully enough, hitting each stepping-stone just right, you won’t have to die. The truth is that you will die anyway and that a lot of people who aren’t even looking at their feet are going to do a whole lot better than you, and have a lot more fun while they’re doing it.” Whether you are just starting out, or like me, have been scribbling away for years, you are bound to get something meaningful from this book. So do yourself a favour – don’t pass it by, and of course, it will be all the easier to spot if you quit looking at your feet!
on 8 October 2017
A Fantastic book especially for people wishing to write fiction
on 20 February 2016
I absolutely adore this book. Sure, if you're after a book of writing advice about plotting, dialogue, characterisation, etc, this probably isn't going to help a huge amount. I would recommend 'Novel Writing - a Handbook' or 'On Writing' by Stephen King, for more practical instructions and advice. What this book is really good for - and I would say unparalleled in anything else I have read - is providing inspiration, comfort, reassurance, and motivation. The front cover says tips 'for writing and life' and it is exactly that - I often dip in and out of it when I want a little lift of positivity. It is corny in parts, but I actually love that; reading a few pages injects me with a feeling of being in love with life and with writing. It doesn't tell me how to write a story outline or realistic dialogue; but it does have me chomping at the bit to reach for the pen and get my thoughts down.
on 24 February 1999
I haven't read a book I have enjoyed this much in years. I can not find a single line in the book that I didn't love. You should read this whether or not you have any interest in writing. This book cracked me up, made me think, gave me pause. I have gone out and purchased all of her other books.
on 7 February 1999
When writing my first book, I hit an all too familiar wall which was a lifetime of writer's block that had paralyzed me many times before. A friend recommended I read Bird By Bird. I did, and through reading Ann's words, with all her wisdom and practical advice, a door to my inner voice opened up and the book flowed. Not only did I complete the book (on deadline!) and get it published, but people tell me the book reads like a novel, with the sound of my voice warm, clear and engaging throughout. This is the greatest reward ---a non-fiction book that came from my soul and that people can connect with. (ORGANIZING FROM THE INSIDE OUT, 1998) Thank you, Ann LaMott, and thank you Bird by Bird. I highly recommend this book to anyone who struggles with writing.
0Comment| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse