on 17 November 2015
After a fairly heavy book (in more ways than one), yet again it was a relief to escape "literature"and get an easy to read Grisham on Kindle. Inevitably it's gritty and includes quite a bit of child psychology/psychiatry, not to mention quite a dose of lawyers, and in this respect Grisham is of course an insider. The book holds your attention, the plot is good and we are introduced to quite a variety of well drawn characters. These include an eleven year old boy "wise beyond his years" (precocious), thanks in part, it seems, because he is the son of a single mom and has had to endure a violent upbringing in a trailer park. Since I don't know anyone like that, it's not for me to judge how he obtained his survival skills, but he doesn't entirely ring true. Also the book gets a bit schmaltzy on occasion though I imagine that that might appeal to many (American) readers. Having said that, I found the book a good read and can recommend it.
on 12 August 2014
Loved the film and the book was just as good. An 11 year old (street-wise) boy and his brother witness the suicide of a very dodgy lawyer. The lawyer has been given some incriminating information by his client, who is the violent and vicious nephew of a powerful criminal. The lawyer tells the boy, during his suicide attempt (which later succeeds) what his client told him, making the child and his family the targets not only of the nasty client and his uncle, but the police and F.B.I. who are desperate to 'nail' the hoodlum. The boy, Mark then becomes The Client of the book's title by befriending a female lawyer who has herself, in the past, struggled with demons of her own.
on 29 December 2016
Quite simple throughout but gripping all the same.get ready to meet love and admire Mark,What a kid😊read from start to finish across all my devices, Only lost my place once but got there in the end of the end fun fun fun, on to the next one now, Jo
on 12 July 2009
An interesting idea, but the characters in Grisham's novels still strike me as somewhat too two-dimensional. There's the boy, who one minute is a super-human and the next a blubbering child; the lawyer, ditto; the judge, kind and friendly; the evil lawyer, evil, evil and evil.

I've noticed that the characters in this one tend to have back stories, and we find out everything about them when we first meet them. To an extent that takes the surprise and suspense out of the tale. What's the point in going through a courtroom scene to see what the judge decides when we've just established his entire past record of similar cases? I'd much prefer to be aligned with the one central character and find out about people as he does. Admittedly, Grisham does do this with his (much) later novel Playing for Pizza.

Having been mean about it however, it was an interesting book. There's less of an insight into the American judicial system now though, and the novels are leaning more towards Thriller-with-a-lawyer-or-three rather than what I would term Legal-Thriller.

Overall, it's not unmissable. There's definitely a Grisham flavour to the writing style which is uniquely his. I'm going to pay more attention to the next one to try and put it into words.
on 17 April 2017
This is a book about a child and a lawyer and another child and a mum and some FBI people. It is an interesting book and I enjoyed it. I think I will read more of Mr Grisham's work. He seems like a nice fellow who knows how to write words in order the correct
on 1 March 2015
Great book, I wanted to get back to my book as soon as possible. The story was well played out, enjoyable. I would recommend this book to those who find it hard to get away from period drama books. I gave The Cilent 5 stars as I think it deserves the 5 as the whole story keep you wandering what will happen next, yes! The suspense is what we all like when your reading.
on 21 January 2016
A very good read. I could not put this book down. A novel way of presenting the story from the child's point of view. Grisham is always an interesting read but most of his books are similar that sometimes its hard to know if I have read it or not. This one with the child I knew I had not read. Like all his books starts well but tails off at the end and becomes unbelievable.
on 22 January 2016
A john grisham book should guarantee a good read and this is what the client does,very hard to put down, you realy want to know how it ends however I had seen the film several years ago which did not spoil this excellently written book .The main character a young child you will just love him.You will not regret buying this book.
on 6 January 2017
As expected another brilliant story fast moving cannot put it down only worry I can read faster than Grisham can write!
on 20 January 2016
John Grisham is an amazing author, if you haven't read any of his books I would highly recommend them. This is a great story, and definitely worth the effort and time spent to read!