on 28 November 2006
WOW! Now this one got my pulse going a bit faster! If you are already a fan of Moning's previous books then you will already know that the MacKeltar men are sinfully gorgeous characters and will not need to read this review to know this book will be no different! However, if you're new to the books and want to know how good they are, let me enlighten you. They're filled with romance, action, sex, laughter and tears and you will not regret buying any of the novels Moning has so far written. This book in particular not only brings us more of previous characters Daegus (The Dark Highlander) and Drustan (Kiss of the Highlander), along with their lovely wives, but brings us two more wonderful characters in the form of Jessica St James and Cian MacKeltar. He's from the 9th century, she's from the modern world... a match made in heaven! You're going to love this book, I could not put it down just as I could not the others! Buy it, read it, love it... And prepare to be hooked!
on 26 March 2006
I don't normally buy hardback books, but after reading the Immortal Highlander, I had to buy this one. This is Moning's latest highlander and girls, get the fans out. Cian Kelter is truly a man of his time. Briefly, he is from the ninth century so plaid and not much else, he has been trapped into a dark mirror by his enemy and needs to escape. Enter our heroine Jessica, overworked, overextended and alone. Scotland is the beautiful backdrop to this darker work by Moning, she is dealing with a man who actually didn't shun the dark arts, merely believed in his own hype so to speak. The story unfolds, lots of hot scenes which are bound to get you reading faster. Also the scene is set for more books. I loved this book, but then again I loved all the other Highland books and eagerly await for more. Moning shows that with good characters and excellent research, a book is written that one cannot put down until the very end and thus leaves you wanting more. I had to go and root out all my other books of this series to just get reacquainted. Even the uninitiated could start by reading this one, try it you'll love it, honestly.
on 27 October 2006
I've just finished re-reading this again. I just love it. It will make more sense if you start with 'The Kiss of the Highlander' and then continue with 'The Dark Highlander' and 'The Immortal Highlander'. Buy them all now because if you are anything like me you won't be able to put them down.

Jesse St. James is the overworked grad student that helps unpack a mysterious package for her archaology professor. It is a huge and very old mirror. And, hold on, is that a figure of a gorgeous hunk of a man she can make out in it's shadows? Cian MacKeltar has been trapped in it for more that a thousand years and, once released by Jessie to save her from the assissin sent to get the mirror back, he sets about getting revenge on the druid that trapped him there. Given that he is the most powerful of the MacKeltar Druid lairds, he doesn't think that getting Jessie to help him will be difficult. It's a shame then that his spells don't work on her...

Their journey back to Scotland and the land of the MacKeltars brings them in contact with the wonderful Drustan (Kiss of the Highlander) and Dageus (The Dark Highlander). But the main story is just how Jessie and Cian can possibly overcome the spell and still have a future together. Believe me, there are moments when you wonder how they can possibly pull it off.

Oh, I do love this story! Cian is a tormented hero and Jessie is very much the modern woman. There is some great dialogue, some very steamy scenes, and the hero/heroine are well matched. What's not to like? I for one can't wait for the next installment.
on 15 September 2005
after having meet daegus and drustan mackelter in their books meet their ancester who was the reason why the study was sealed up for all those years with the loss of all that druid lore. they think he is a legend but he is real and trapped in a dark fey mirror this is te story of how he finds his soul mate and gets justice on the man who trapped him there with help from the other mackelter druids as for does he find love and ever lasting happinss read the book i am not going to tell you
on 16 June 2016
Unfortunately I have been unable to read the book in full as I downloaded to my apple mac laptop and it keeps jumping from page 187 to 210. I even paid for a second download hoping all would be rectified but the same thing keeps happening, so unable to give honest report. I do love this author though and have read all her other Highlander books. Am disappointed I have not been able to complete this one.
on 25 February 2012
When i first got into reading fantasy books this series was the first i came across.The seventh in the'Highlander'series 'Spell of the Highlander' introduces us to Cian MacKelter,heir to the arcane magic of his Druid ancestors.Eleven centuries ago he was trapped inside the Dark Glass,one of four coverted Unseelie Hallows,objects of unspeakable power.
Jessi St James,hardworking archaeology student thinks she's dreaming when she spies a gorgeous half naked man staring out at her from inside the silvery glass of an ancient mirror.When a split second decision saves her from a terryifying attempt on her life,Jessi finds herself confronting six and a half feet of smoldering male.
I love time travel books and i absolutly adore Scottish men which makes this and the rest of the series very enjoyable indeed.Therefore 5*.
on 3 August 2006
This is the first book of the authour that Ive read, I wasnt too sure what I would make of it but I love a bit of romance so thought I'd give it a go, WOW, it was brilliant, I read it in 1 day, couldnt put it down. The characters were brilliant and sexy, if a little unbelievable, but a little escapism never hurt anyone. I loved it so much Ive just order all the others in the series, cant wait for them to arrive.
on 18 December 2008
cant believe ive read this book in under aweek!, this is a different type of book for me, combining magical powers and dark magic.Im hooked, line and sinker!! what a great book, a great powerful scott warrior, with immence magical powers. The heroine is a modern thinking women, funny and really likable from the start.Our main character "CIAN" is a huge male sex on legs, and he gets his own way, or he did untill he meets jessi. This is a love story that has you gripped from the beginning,sexual tention between these two well, you could cut it with a knife!She is the only one who can save him, if she chooses to, she has to free him from inside a anchanted mirror where hes been traped in for thousands of years. Combining mordern day, years gone by and every day living lots of magic this is a great book, i recommend this to any die hard romantic,with a little bit of imagination, go with the flow as its got everything you will want from a romance, hero, herione juicy bits! a-plenty, its just pure "MAGIC" i loved CIAN from the start, all that power and male-ness, bring it on!!. After reading this book i have now gone mad and bought all of her other highland series books. You wont be disappointed! This book really did put me under a spell. A spell to read all the rest!! I hope this helps you,happy reading ,i have now for many weeks.
on 19 September 2005
As with all of the 'Highlander Novels' this one is sensual,provacative and full of fantasia. If you have the chance, read all of them. Recommending: My favorite-The Immortal Highlander by Karen Marie Moning of her series and Fire In The Ice by Katlyn Stewart
on 18 February 2009
Probably if I would read all the books one after another I would not like them, just the same? But with enought time between them I always like to read about the highlanders, probably because I would like to have one. They are the heros I love most in all the romantic stories I have read.