on 16 August 2017
This needs to be directed toward a much younger audience - just starting out imo.
The intent is good. But the general way she 'talks' in her book - you feel more like an idiot than learning something!
I can appreciate the effort, that the book exists. I think this would be HIGHLY beneficial to young adults starting out in the career field - if they're uncertain as to where to go, what to do or how to proceed and make choices.. have direction.THIS is the book for them. Not for me.I Do apologise. The author is VERY well intended and I think DOES make good points, but needs to be directed to a very specific audience.
on 28 March 2017
It arrived when they said it would and in the condition described. It is not a ground-breaking book for me, but there are a few useful bits in it and i don't mind that for the low price that I paid for the book.
on 23 March 2017
Loved this book. Needed it and found it refreshing and doable and helpful and a relief to know it's a resource I have now
on 24 September 2003
I bought this book based on the strength of the reviews, and one of Sher's other books, "Live the Life You Love". I only wish I'd stopped there, as this one is undoubtedly the weaker of the two. There is little in "I Could Do Anything..." that she hasn't said elsewhere, and better. There are more concrete ideas for getting what you want from life, and better exercises for helping you figure out just what that elusive something might be, in "Live the Life You Love."
My main criticism of this book is that it is simply not universal enough for a self-help book. In attempting to illustrate the different types of "voices" that some people hear when they are thinking of changing their lives, Sher divides her readers into sub-catagories. If your inner voice says, "abc", then you are a type who can't focus. Read chapter 6. If your inner voice says "xyz", then you have fear of success. Read chapter 5.
My problem with this type of format is that I wound up feeling alienated from a great many of the chapters, since there was little percieved value in reading those that didn't specifically pertain to me. Since I have no problem focusing, and am not afraid of success, I had to look pretty hard to find anything of use in the chapters dealing with those issues. Yes, you can certainly skim that parts that don't apply, and I did. But I was annoyed that I'd parted with my hard-won coppers for essentially half a book's worth of ideas.
That having been said, Sher's writing is engaging and open, and I applaud her life's mission. She is clearly living her dream, and hopes to inspire others to do the same. Those looking for that type of inspiration, however, will be much better served by one of her other books.
on 15 August 2009
This book is a must for "drifters" who have not found their real vocation yet...and it focuses on apparently unimportant facts that are , actually, shaping our lifes deeply. Excellent pieces of advice to discover your real vocation,....whether you are brave enough to follow the action..that is a different matter.

I could call it a life changing book...excellent
on 16 February 2014
I like Barbara Sher, I understand her concept of a scanner. She does an excellent job of fleshing out the problem and understanding our aches and pains. However, the exercises just open a Pandora's box of more questions. I've read the book many times over 10 years, and I still don't know what I want to do. Sorry to be so harsh, but because I keep re-reading the book over and over for a decade, and working the exercises and still feel lost, I feel my review is more relevant and more important than the other reviewers who immediately rush to write a review before working the exercises and giving it time.
on 20 June 2001
This book is an excellent tool for anyone that hasn't figured out what they would like to do with their life. Using simple exercises, the first 3 chapters focus on how you actually go about discovering your passion so that you can have meaning, direction and ultimately happiness and fulfilment in your life and career. The book then looks in depth at the reasons why, so far, your dream life may have been evading you. Be warned, it knocks all of those convenient little excuses that we all use well and truly on the head! I found the book very inspirational. It is wonderfully written and I would recommend it to anyone who, like me, never had a clue what they wanted to be when they grew up and just kept hoping, naively, that eventually the penny would drop! Good luck.
0Comment| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 October 2016
If you're the type who has always wanted to make a career move but has allowed doubt, fear, family pressure, or some other excuse to get in the way of progress, then this book might be the cure you're looking for. It describes the different obstacles that individuals often face when they try to find fulfilling employment and explains different motivational techniques to overcome these barriers.
This book is written as a self- help guide and it is complete with exercises that you can complete at home with a pen and piece of paper. These exercises ask you to list out things about yourself, like your ideal career lifestyle, or typical excuses you make that interfere with career changes. Then, following your writing exercise, the book will help you analyse what you have said and help you make your wishes reality.
Besides the exercises, this book also contains plenty of quotations from people who have attended the author's self- help seminars. This is added so that you, the reader, can hear what other people have to say who are probably in the same predicament as you. They share their personal feelings on the problems they have encountered when trying to switch lifestyles and they hold nothing back. It provides a good dose of reality to the book.
This book isn't a self- test type of book that tries to determine what type of career would suit your skills best. It is intended for those who already have a general idea what they want to do but are unsure how to overcome the mental obstacles, family pressures, financial concerns, and other problems that interfere with pursuing a major life change.
on 30 July 2008
I Could do Anything if I Only Knew what it Was provides practical common sense guide for determining what career you should decide on. In other words it helps you discover what makes you want to jump out of bed in the morning.

The book is informative, refreshing and extremely useful. There are many rich topics for anyone who isn't sure what he/she wants to be when he/she grows up! Some of the topics are: What are you suppose to be doing?, Fear of Success: Leaving the Ones You Love Behind, I Want too Many Things, I'm all over the Map, Help! I'm not Ready to be Born Yet, How to Live an Extraordinary Life and much more.

Besides excellent topics there are fun exercises and explanations to learn what makes you tick.

For example, I wasn't sure if the book could categorize me very well, but it did. I have many varied types of interests and the book validated who I am and what I enjoy doing.

Barbara Sher called us Scanners. These are individual who want to taste everything. She goes on to say "To scanners, the universe is a treasure house full of a million works of art, and life is hardly long enough to see them all." Sher notes that career aptitude tests tend to miss scanners. This book provides some great recommendations to be successful by not changing.

The thread throughout the book is to be true to whom you are and mold a career around yourself! This is an excellent book for anyone who is ready to make a decision on finding their dream career!

The Re-Discovery of Common Sense: A Guide To: The Lost Art of Critical Thinking
on 27 August 2016
I would have given this 4.5 stars, it is a great book and I would highly recommend it for those looking for an alternative approach to finding your life's purpose or pursuing a noble path in life. I am not going to articulate and explain the method that Barbara Sher explains in her book, however it is sufficient to say that it is novel and interesting, and it will at least get you to re-think your concepts and practices on finding your purpose or vocation in life.

The one weakness I wanted to highlight is that I did not find the real life examples of people using the method very inspiring, they were all fairly mundane, whilst not everyone wants to radically change the world, become a leader in their field or an award winning entrepreneur, it would be nice to see how the methods can be implemented to motivate and inspire "stretch" goals for these types of people.

So this is the one area I felt it was lacking, otherwise I would have proposed a five star rating. So only 4.5 stars awarded.