on 25 March 2017
Great intro from Mr Mindfulness himself.
on 7 July 1998
I read this book eight years ago and I found it to be so valuable that I read it again two years later. To this day, I continue to reference certain chapters from time to time and eight years after first reading it, I continue to practice the techniques I learned from the book.
Grounded in scientific research, Jon Kabat-Zinn explores the connections between mind and body to the point where there is no longer any obvious division between the two. This book offers the reader access to a new way of living that is rooted in mindfulness. The instructions offered are easy to understand. This book is primarily intended for those facing chronic or terminal illness or emotional pain, but it can really benefit a far more general audience - those who want to live their lives more fully.
11 Comment| 141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 October 2014
Good book
on 26 May 2015
THIS BOOK IS NOT THAT BAD BUT IT CLD BE SUMMARISED IN FAR LESS PAGES. COULD BEHALF OF IT.
on 14 July 1997
A remarkable, accessible, entertaining and enlightening work on mindfulness meditation (Zen). Chapter 2 describing 7 attitudinal factors (non-judging, patience, beginner's mind, trust, non-striving, acceptance and letting go) is key and indispensible to development of mindfulness meditation technique. I frequently recommend it to patients in my neurology and headache clinic. It can open up a whole new outlook on life for anyone.
on 15 February 1999
It's a large book but it is free from space-filling patronising stories that seem to be a feature of this kind of book from the States. It is sensible and credible and worth the time to sit down with it and follow the various exercises.
on 2 September 2014
Originally published in 1990 and re-issued in 2013, Jon Kabat-Zinn’s classic ‘Full Catastrophe Living’ is widely accepted as the bible, or at least one of the gospels, of the Modern Mindfulness Movement. There isn’t really a version of mindfulness based practices, and there are a dizzying array of them, that doesn’t in some way reflect the work encapsulated in this book. It is a testament to its value of t hat despite the passing of thirty years and an explosion of interest in the field, it is still so revered and so often quoted.

Which is all the more remarkable when you consider that the book is basically a training manual for the 8 week MBSR (Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction) course. As such It wouldn’t be surprising if you found this book gathering dust on the book shelves of a few health professionals or psychotherapists. But its reach, to date ;(it has sold over 500,000 copies), tells a completely different story.

Reading the endorsements at the start of the book from countless leaders in fields as diverse as psychology, politics, education, business consultancy, religions and neuroscience, you get the impression that this is a book that has made a significant impact on Western culture and is well worth the read.

This is just as well; because the book is over 600 pages long and is packed full of thought provoking material. Thankfully JKZ’s writing style is warm, accessible and free from complex language. He succeeds in keeping things really simple and practical.
As well as taking us through the 8 week MBSR program step by step, JKZ shares with us the personal and often inspiring stories from the twenty or so years he himself led the courses at the UMASS MBSR clinic. This is why, even though the book is a manual, it isn’t dry. It speaks to the heart. I wouldn’t call this book – easy reading. It is at times demanding to read about the different stresses we face and the debilitating effects of living in pain etc. But there is so much compassion for our plight and belief in our potential for turning things around that it is exciting and compelling to read.

And if having your heartstrings played doesn’t do it for you - then the mountains of evidence summarized and discussed in the new edition as to the effectiveness of the program should make you a true believer. You can feel JKZ’s excitement and joy when he describes the compelling new evidence, now pouring out of esteemed academic and scientific establishments worldwide, which validate what he alone dared to dream back in 1979. That we all have the wisdom and strength to live fuller, more meaningful lives if we pay attention to what actually is.
on 1 July 2010
THis item was recommended to me by a physcologist as a paper bacjk version so imagine my delight to find it available as an audio book.

So much more is taken in as you lay drowsing at night listening to the advice read clearly by the author. They say that information retention is enhanced just before sleeping and I can vouch for this so the chance to hear the worthwhile book instead of reading it was invaluable.
on 16 March 2002
This book is a way of stopping the world for a short time to allow you to get your breath back. If you work hard at looking at the moments the book will indeed live up to it's promise. This book is for everyone in pain whether the pain is physical or emotional. It is for the people who feel there is nothing else left to try. Give it a go.
on 10 March 2011
I adore audio books. OK its athe abridged version but all of the main points are there and you can rewind. Mindfulless is a fantastic way to veiw and live life and this book along with the 8 week audio programme i also brought gives you a great grounding in what Mindfulness is about without being prescriptive as to what you should get out of it. I listen to this anytime during the day but find when I get into bed is the best time for me . Its surpising how much you do remember and I think it helps me to undertsand because I can hear the words. I do hope Amazon provide a wider range of audio books, as for me it makes reading so much more enjoyable.