Customer reviews

on 6 August 1999
If you thought you would miss V I Warshawski in this departure from Sara Paretsky's crime stories, Don't worry! The Chicago streets are familiar from her previous work and the stories interwoven together into a powerful picture are of an opera Diva, a Doctor, a young,angry,rich girl and the homeless women living rough, all influenced by themysterious Starr an aphasic woman with strange powers. Read and enjoy this gripping story as I did.
on 1 December 1999
If this is a new departure for Paretsky, I find it a disappointing one. The story is as flat and non-gripping as can be. I find it hard to imagine that this is by the same author as all those gripping crime novels! I read it through hoping the story would take off at some stage but it never did. I found the story totally unconvincing and the character were very much made of cardboard. Stereotyping everywhere. None of them ever came to life, and then that idiotic wall and the person with the enormous breasts, totally weird! Sorry, all I can say is: read her other books!
on 27 November 2015