on 29 October 2014
easy to read, id give this to a boy who is mysteriously fascinated in myths. I did buy the book thinking joseph would break down the mythology and symbology as a whole but he gives us the key to break down our OWN INDIVIDUAL mythology. Must have for anyone who wants to embark in a magical life
on 12 April 2014
Standout complimentary material to the series of interviews by Moyers to the late Joe Campbell. You'll find magnificent insights cut out from the televised interviews due to time constraints. A great starter book to anyone who is interested in mythology and the works by the author.
on 25 January 1999
The book and the tapes on the power of myth are very interesting and interpret mythology and religion within the same paradigm and concepts - that myth flows from the contrary and contradictory stresses and strains of the body and society. The thesis is tightly explored by Campbell in numerous of his works and explains why he sometimes cannot explain (sorry) variations in conceptual problems among myths. Campbell had a tremendous impact on my study of comparative religion at university over 10 years ago, in a positive way, howver since then I've realized that his ideas are worn and flawed in many respects. Thinking outside of his parardigm of mythic evolution will raise many more questions than he attempts to answer. All in all I think Campbell is one of the greatest philosophers of comparative religion and mythology and someone who stood at a crossroads of academic insight over many decades.
on 14 April 2012
Incredible insights from one of the last century's greatest thinkers. Told with incredible grace and finesse with beautiful visuals. Ideologies makes so much more sense with this health food for the mind. RIP Joseph Campbell.
on 19 July 2007
"The Power of Myth" was a series on PBS where Bill Moyers and Joseph Campbell explored myth through various archetypes. The importance of myth is explored in terms of comparative mythology and the place of myth in current times. Bill Moyers, a prominent American journalist, is an engaging interviewer and Joseph Campbell is lucid in his explanations. Both of them are a brilliant combination, offering intelligence and wit. A great book for anyone interested in Joseph Campbell, myths, archetypes and symbols from a comparative framework.
on 24 December 2016
Made me realise the true value of living and what we have lost to greed and power and our connection with nature reading this book has changed and will better me to follow my bliss
on 15 December 2014
Content is delivered in dialogues between the interviewer and interviewee.
Content is intriguing. Never really looked at religions from the presented perspectives.
on 16 July 2013
JC has done a lot of research to write this book; it is amazing how he has the knowledge of several seemingly unconnected civilizations. has an original approach.
on 18 October 2014
Great service and product!
I'm quite satisfied - the product got to me on time and it met my expectations. I will shop with the seller again.
on 30 July 1999
Let me quote Campbell. Towards the end of the second chapter: "People ask me, 'Do you have optimism about the world?' And I say, 'Yes, it's great just the way it is. And you are not going to fix it up. Nobody has ever made it any better. It is never going to be any better. This is it, so take it or leave it. You are not going to correct or improve it." I continued reading, waiting for a valid explanation for this, but to no avail. Campbell makes you think, I'll give him that much. I suggest that you make your own verdict.