Customer reviews

on 28 June 2017
This is a great story. I enjoyed the TV series years ago, and decided to read the novel just to remind myself of the story. As the title of the review says it's a great story, but I did find the writing style a bit laborious. But with Kindle you can flip through pages of descriptive wording if you find it's boring, so I was happy to do that. Others may find this writing to be just fine, it's a matter of personal likes. However despite my preference for less 'heavy' dialogue I still enjoyed reading the book. I wish they'd show the TV series again (NOT remake it, just show the original)

The story itself is about a young Irish emigrant who makes a great fortune in America, destroys numerous people along the way, including his own family. It has overtones of another legendary Irish-American family, and all too familiar plot lines about a hidden 'Elite' running the world. Set in the 1850 -1900 period it's a fascinating story that opens up the opportunity to 'search' some of the characters names who were real life people and get to know the real story of what went on in the days of the 'Robber Barons'
on 28 June 2017
The late Taylor Caldwell was one of those rare writers who could stop you in your tracks so you might absorb the essence of her writing.
on 20 June 2017
I read this book years ago when the series was showing on TV. I loved the series and the book but was a bit too young to appreciate it fully.

I haven't read the book again yet but I know I will love it and have a deeper understandiine ng of the events and the era.

Christine Ruston
on 18 July 2017
Read and saw the TV series many years ago. Well worth the read, great story line
on 18 July 2017
Brilliant read. Loved this book. Couldn't put it down until it was finished.
on 10 March 2017
I first read this book in 1975. I did so enjoy reading it again as I had forgotten some of the details. Would recommend it.
on 2 September 1999
This is simply the best book I've every read. It has an appealing sense of uproar that grabs you from page 1, and it will not let go until you hit the last page. The violence and the change of vast fortunes will give you a feeling of power of a capitalistic society untold in any other book before. I believe in a small round about way, it is telling a story about the Kennedy dynasty. With the untimely passing of JFK-JR, recently it is bringing up many discussions; is there a curse on this family. Read this book, and you decide if is there a curse, or if this book brings back memories of this well know "POWERFULL" family.
on 8 May 1999
An excellent story! I read this book years ago and have been searching for the video tape version of the mini-series for years. I'm comforted to see that I am not the only one who has been searching video stores and mail order catalogs for years in search of the VHS tapes! A must read!
on 12 August 1999
I have re-read this book so many times I wore out the original. I have since purchased another copy (in paperback). When will the mini series be released on video? I have searched for a copy for many years now.
on 13 March 1999
My wife was pregnant with our first child (turned out to be twins). She Saw the mini series first, and then read the book. Named the boys after two characters; Sean and Rory! Jane Seymour was lovely and was not the villain she has been in other roles. We are looking for this video. Does anyone know how we can get it? Please let us know. We would love to show it to our children.