Format: Hardcover|Change

on 12 January 2002
I'm serious. I gave it 5 stars because the book is great but I hate the way it made me feel.
(don't worry no spoilers ahead)
Boyd is a great writer- the other reviewers pointed that out already so I'll stick to the point.
the first 4/5 are great- sure, I hated the werewolves for being so condescending, I resented the human, Tessa, for being a doormat (I kept hoping she'd buy a dog whistle and kick some werewolf ass).
and then the book took a very surprising turn that at first made me pleased- finally the human shows some character! finally, werewolves learn some humility! oh silly me.
I knew the ending is tragic- it says so on the back of the book but I had no idea it was *that* kind of tragic. the kind that haunts you for days after...
it embarrasses me to say this but the ending left me VERY distraught.
I guess I wrote this review as a warning- if you're going to read this book make sure you are alone and make sure you have enough time to recover...
Compelling, absorbing, and lyrical... Ms. Boyd can sure tell a story. She spins a tale of a subculture of urbane werewolves which exist and live amidst humans, unbeknownst to most of them. They are wealthy, elegant, intelligent, well-educated, and powerful: the consummate "beautiful people" known as the Devoncroix clan.
It is a story which is sinuous in its imagery and sensual in its use of language. She weaves the tale of the head of the Devoncroix clan, Alexander, and his connection to the all too human Tessa. It is her fascination with Alexander and his fascination with her which is at the heart of this novel.
Her description of werewolves and their subculture is intriguing and spellbinding. She draws you in and before you know it, you are caught: hook, line, and sinker. You dread coming to the end of the book, and when you do, you cannot wait to go out and get the sequel. Anne Rice, beware, here comes the heir apparent! Anyway, the book is a great read.
Compelling, absorbing, and lyrical... Ms. Boyd can sure tell a story. She spins a tale of a subculture of urbane werewolves that exist and live amidst humans, unbeknownst to most of them. They are wealthy, elegant, intelligent, well-educated, and powerful: the consummate "beautiful people" known as the Devoncroix clan.
It is a story that is sinuous in its imagery and sensual in its use of language. The author expertly weaves the tale of Alexander, head of the Devoncroix clan, and his connection to the all too human Tessa. It is Tessa's fascination with Alexander and his fascination with her that is at the heart of this novel.
The author's description of werewolves and their subculture is intriguing and spellbinding. She draws you in and before you know it, you are caught: hook, line, and sinker. You dread coming to the end of the book, and when you do, you cannot wait to go out and get the sequel. Anne Rice, beware! Here comes the heir apparent. Anyway, the book is a great read.
on 4 February 1999
Werewolf culture has never been explored better than in Donna Boyd's fabulous novel, which illuminates the gulf between the human and the lycanthropic. Young, human Tessa wants to live with the werewolves, and who could blame her. Portrayed here they are charismatic, sensual creatures. But their world can never be hers and what happens to her when she refuses to accept this makes for the most gripping read I've had in a long time. Buy this book -- I guarantee the final chapters will haunt you long after you've finished reading. My only complaint: why couldn't the publisher have given this book a beautiful cover to go with the beautiful story inside??
on 18 July 1999
The book was very good. I felt that the werewolves were kinda like the rich-folk looking down on the peasants. but some redemption does come around. Like Denis and Tessa. The ending is kinda a downer but if its only a beginning book of a series then I would like to read the rest.
on 6 April 1999
The characters were interesting, but I wished the main human character was a little stronger. I was not convinced by the author to have any sympathy for her situation. The werewolves themselves are decent enough, but their criticism of humankind generated a little ill feeling in me towards them also. Overall it is a complete story in itself, but leaves the storyline wide open for a sequel, which I will say I would be inclined to read. It is a good all around interesting horror/fantasy/romance novel.
on 6 March 1998
Loved this book. I've heard it's the first in a major series. It does for werewolves what Anne Rice did for vampires. Donna Boyd's werewolves are brilliant, seductive, romantic, capable of both immense good and evil. Forget everything you know about werewolf mythology!The Passion has the rich feel of a historical novel combined with the edginess of a modern plot. I predict Donna Boyd is going to develop a large and loyal following, starting with this book.
on 24 February 2000
Werewolves live amongst us since the very dawn of days. Their brilliance and ingenius is what progressed mankind's civilization. Yet their very existence is always treathened by man. There could never be balance and acceptance between the two kinds although one could not really live without the other.
Tessa LeGuerre is a young woman who has been raised with tales of the magnificence of the mystical werewolves by her father who sadly died when she was at a tender age. Raised by her mother into her womanhood, she was taught that it was a werewolf that killed her father. Alexander Devoncroix is a high ranking werewolf whose life was attempted on by Tessa and failed. Something almost magical sparked between Alexander and Tessa that she was welcomed into his other world and introduced to others of his kind. She eventually falls hopelessly in-love with Alexander.
Then a reigning pack leader suddenly dies leaving behind an unmated queen, Elise, who is vulnerable to being challenged by others who questions her ability to rule. Elise's visions for a unity between man and werewolve becomes a hand's reach reality when she is introduced to Tessa. This is when all the actions started flowing......I won't say anymore 'cos it will ruin the suspense, but somehow Tessa ends up being in exile and she is mated with a werewolf, a creature from the race she is so fascinated by.
This was my very first werewolfie book, I've never been interested in this sort of story.....so it was a little odd that I chose it. I'm not disappointed at all. What a story, what an insight into these mystical creatures even if it's very fairy-tale like and a little bent towards a soppy romance story. Half-way through the book I realise that I can already guess the rest but I found myself cheering for Tessa and Alexander hoping there would be a twist at the end. But Tessa and Denis coupling isn't so terrible....my heart wrenched for them out there in Alaska with all their sufferings and struggles that my eyes started to water. I'll definitely have to be on the look-out for Donna Boyd's "The Promise" now.......
Compelling, absorbing, and lyrical...Ms. Boyd can sure tell a story. She spins a tale of a subculture of urbane werewolves, which exist and live amidst humans, unbeknownst to most of them. They are wealthy, elegant, intelligent, well-educated, and powerful: the consummate "beautiful people" known as the Devoncroix clan.
It is a story that is sinuous in its imagery and sensual in its use of language. She weaves the tale of the head of the Devoncroix clan, Alexander, and his connection to the all too human Tessa. It is Tessa's fascination with Alexander and his fascination with her that is at the heart of this novel.
The author's vivid description of werewolves and their subculture is intriguing and spellbinding. She draws you in and before you know it, you are caught: hook, line, and sinker. You dread coming to the end of the book, and when you do, you cannot wait to go out and get the sequel, "The Promise". Anne Rice, beware! Here comes the heir apparent.
on 6 April 1999