Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 6 November 2001
A series of natural disasters bring the remnants of a lost civilisation into the light of day and reveal a mystery that must be solved quickly if the world and all of mankind is to be saved.
Many stories require the reader to take a step back from reality but this novel requires a tremendous leap. That said, the fast paced, action packed adventure makes for an enjoyable read. Despite a slight tendency to lecture in places rather than tell the story, the author carries his improbable plot so well that the pages seem to turn themselves.
The characters have personality and enough depth that you genuinely care what happens to them.
I shall definitely buy the next book.
VINE VOICEon 30 August 2006
Wow one of the first books I have rushed into work to write an online review about even before I have finished it. This book is like a cross between Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt,Jack Bauer from 24 and a good helping of Matthew Reilly's Scarecrow plus a bit of Jaws. Great underwater imagination, fantastic characters, great story about the possible end of the world and brilliant excitement, cant wait to get back to it. I read a number of reviews before and bought all his books I can find so looking forward to reading all his others. Can recommend it enough.
on 2 March 2006
Escapist nonsense doesn't come much brasher and bolder than this. Suspend all belief and enjoy the rollercoaster ride that is delivered by this tale of natural disasters shaking up the world. This potboiler has the lot: a traumatised hero, his arch enemy, a love interest, nuclear war, lost continents, magical crystals, you name it.
I would deduct one star for the ending, which smacks a touch of the author having painted himself into a corner and using a cheap trick to get out of it. But, who's complaining? It's all tripe, anyway. Hugely readable and enjoyable nonsense, but nonsense nevertheless.
It would make a mighty fine blockbuster movie, for sure.
on 20 December 2007
James Rollins has done it yet again with his new novel. While in the past, many of his works are riddled with themes of lost civilizations and their eventual discoveries, i think that Rollins has outdone himself with this novel (in a good way). The first 50 pages are quite hard to get through but once you've passed those, the book doesnt disappoint. It's essentially like reading a movie, the action never stopped! Also, if you missed reading Tino Georgiou's masterpiece--The Fates, go and read it.
on 12 February 2015
James, James, James! I've thought for years I should read one of your books, being such a fan of Matthew Reilly, I thought this would be the same. Unfortunately, it's not. Not the pace and breath-taking page-turner I expect. Instead it was slow, ponderous, packed full of boring history lessons we didn't need to know. The end I could see coming from a third in. Speaking of the end, it's so lame, classic get out of jail conclusion you'd expect from an inexperienced writer. Matthew Reilly blows James Rollins out of the water for action, adventure, cliff-hangers, twists, turns.

This book is just like the hundreds of other generic history adventure books that other writers like Andy McDermott, Boyd Morrison and Chris Kuzneski do better.

Tell me I'm wrong, tell me I just picked one of the author's weaker books. I expected so much more.

If you're a fan of James Rollins and/or generic adventure books with history lessons and no twists at all, then you'll like this.
James Rollins was born in Chicago, Illinois, in 1961. With his three brothers and three sisters, he was raised in the Midwest and rural Canada. He graduated with a doctorate in veterinary medicine from the University of Missouri and went on to establish his own veterinary practice in Sacramento, California. His sense of adventure often takes him either underground or underwater.

This is the another action packed adventure from the author, whose books for me anyway are consistently good and always an enjoyable read. Long may he continue to write them for his growing number of fans. Some writers have an immediate impact and then die away. James Rollins has slowly built his reputation over a period of years, what you might call a slow burner, but all the better for it.

The new millennium's first eclipse of the sun, looked forward to by many people as a natural phenomenon rarely seen in the span of a human lifetime casts a shroud over the Earth. And then catastrophe struck . . .

Solar flares have triggered a series of gargantuan natural disasters. Earthquakes and hellfire rock the globe. The death toll begins to rise at an unprecedented rate. And in the midst of chaos, Air Force One and America's president have vanished from the skies . . .
on 11 March 2014
I actually enjoyed most of the story, but the ending was just utter rubbish. Totally unbelievable, and just a lot of nonsense. I really hated the fact that everybody was still alive - after having gone through the fast-paced first part of the story - and how convenient that the people on board the Deep Fathom were not affected. Good for Jack and Karen, good for Gabriel as well. *sigh*

Also, Karen mentioned that she was one mile below the surface. Since when are 600 metres a mile? And why go forth and back, saying 600 metre one time and then (so the Americans have a clue?) saying 2000 feet. Stick with one or the other.

One thing is for certain, I won't be buying any more books by this author. If I want to read a fairy tale, I will buy a book with fairy tales.
on 6 July 2013
This book supplies everything that a good thriller should - fast pace, detailed interlinked plots and characters that drive the plot lines. It was a great book to relax with after coming home from work as I was drawn in and able to immerse myself in the story and spend some time with the characters at the bottom of the ocean or looking out across a remote island.

One thing I would have liked to see expanded on was the "how" of the ending - I will not expand of this for the sake of those who have not read the book yet. The nature of the ending has its roots in the earlier part of the book but I would have liked to known how this distortion occurred. This however did not take away from my enjoyment of the book.
on 17 December 2009
The book in general is great. Rollins' true-to-form fast action all the way through was brilliant, that is until the last few pages. I won't spoil it for future readers.
The ending was, in my opinion a bit corny and an anticlimax to say the least. It has been well-used in quite a few books, films, and tv dramas.
Don't let this review put you off reading the novel and see if you agree with my comments.
I highly recommend the rest of the Sigma Force books.
on 21 January 2014
What a good read! I am wedded to my Kindle Fire now - what a great tool ... but to the book: I like the way James Rollins brought the reader into the tale gradually rather than with the bang that many authors do, and then the subject matter is just at the edge of what's known, what's suspected, and plausible + that raconteur's field, the action tale. Yes, very enjoyable read and highly recommended.