Customer reviews

on 19 May 2017
This Cinderella story has some plot holes, but as this is fantasy I suppose we can suspend our disbelief when someone gets into a private ball with no invitation, passes no receiving line, and is unannounced. The main problem, as with so many of Quinn's novels, is that the dialogue and narrative are heavily sprinkled with words and phrases that are not only anachronistic but American. That and the scanning typos are distracting.
on 8 January 2014
So Benedict is a Bridgerton. You can't really fault him, but this is one of my not-so-favourite ones. Bridgertons are above reproach so when they do things that lesser mortals do, it leaves me a bit...disappointed. His offer to Sophie and his love for her war within him, as much as his choices or lack thereof do within the reader, the loyal Bridgerton reader--till the very end. Benedict's story is one of yearning and denial. We feel his heartache throughout. It's very well-told, I mean it's Julia Quinn for heaven's sake, but there's something missing and I think it's the Bridgerton-ness. By it's very nature, the story had to be as separated from the rest of the clan as possible. There are Cinderella elements there and I'm not sure whether they help or detract from the story.

I'd read it because it's Julia Quinn and the Bridgertons.
on 28 June 2017
All the classic ingredients, the wicked stepmother, the ugly sisters (though one turns out not to be so bad in the end) and even the ball. Benedict may not be a prince, but he's a Bridgerton, and that's the next best thing.
on 18 July 2017
Enjoyable but not the best in the series by a long chalk.
on 19 May 2017
Brilliant reading of an incredible book. You can never get enough of the Bridgerton family! So glad their stories are becoming available in audiobook.
on 15 May 2017
Love this book
on 31 July 2001
I started this book in the bath Sunday morning and stayed in there until the water had gone cold Sunday afternoon reading it. This is a non-putter down, without a doubt, we meet the Bridgertons again and this time the story is focused on Benedict Bridgerton and Sophie Beckett, Sophie is of course our Cinderella, with Benidict being prince Charming and Araminta the wicked stepmother. Also adding to the plot are the ugly sisters, Sophies stepsisters, and the regal Lady Bridgerton. This is a boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy finds girl, boy loves girl kind of story. You really begin to feel like you are in the middle of the story. If you read the previous Bridgerton books you'll be glad to know that they all pop up again here. And of course there is Lady Whistledown, I think I have figured out who she is and this books helps you take her one step further. Please read this book, fall in love with the characters, once you read one Juila Quinn there is no going back!
on 18 August 2001
What can I say Julia Quinn has done it again. I confess I love reading about the Bridgerton brothers, and in her previous book "The Viscount Who Loved Me" Benedict was VERY appealing! He is the sort of man we all dream about, a bit of a rogue, a charmer and not to mention very attractive! If only men like this existed in real life! I hate reviews that tell you nothing about the story so here is the basics. Sophie Beckett is the daughter of an earl but as she was born out of marriage her stepmother hated her and made her into a servant in her house after Sophies father died. One night Sophie breaks free and goes to a ball, where you've guessed it, she meets Benedict and they both fall in love. She runs away at midnight and her stepmother throws her out of the house when she discovers what she has done. Then she takes on a position of house maid where eventually she meets Benedict again after a few years. The rest I will not reveal as it will spoil the story. Enjoyable.
on 22 May 2008
Having just spent half the night reading this book, I felt I absolutely had to leave a review. I've nejoyed all the books in the Bridgerton series but this is the one that really spoke to me.

Though the story is insipred by a cinderella theme, there is much more to it than that. Sophie is a tough cookie who's really had a rough life (a refreshing change for this genre). Though she behaves like a lady, she is not part of high society and has to work as a servant. She does not feel inferior, like one would expect for a cinderella story line, instead she fights her way through everything and never looses her spirit. And though we all know this story, there are still unexpected twists and I love the way Sophie's story is so relatable, and yet we are taken through a labyrinth of the time's taboos and her own demons (which for once are utterly founded in reality, not just a phobia).

Benedict has got to be my favourite Bridgerton simply because he has a very sensitive caring nature and he is not opposed to marriage. The way the author describes his thoughts and the way both he and Sophie are soul mates(though this is never said quite so plainly) makes it seem so real and not ridiculous at all. I really did enjoy seeing Benedict in love with Sophie from the very beginning, and there are a lot of steamy scenes in which he tries to seduce her.

Though it is somewhat different from standard regency romance it is done so well, that you will not be disapointed, simply pleasantly surprised by this beautiful romantic novel full of ups and downs.
on 12 June 2002
I was a little disappointed in this story, because "The Duke and I" and "The Viscount Who Loved Me" are (in my opinion) among the best romance ever written, so I had high expectations for this one. It was OK. As usual in Julia Quinn's books the caracters were sympathetic and the tone humorous, but I found the story a little too ignorant of the social context of that time, even for a romance novel. (Though it wasn't as silly as "Eveything and the Moon" where the heroine goes from respectable vicar's daughter to workingclass seamstress to countess.)
I hope the next one, "Romancing Mister Bridgerton" is better. There is an excerpt at Julia Quinn's home page, and it seems promising!