Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 31 January 1998
I was forced to read this short book in college. As I turned each page, I became more connected to the protagonist, Celia and her struggle to escape the control and degradation emposed on her by her master. This story sheds light on the antebellum South's lifestyle and mentality toward "Negroes" as property versus percentages of persons. A MUST READ, especially for African American youth seeking a personal understanding!
on 17 April 1998
I, at first, bought this book because I was curious about it, having read the recent news about Florida's "Black Widow", in which references were made to "Celia". I liked the book because it was purely historical in nature, but provided powerful insights into motivation for this murder, and slavery in Missouri in the 1850's. Because I generally do not read very much (not much patience), I found the compact nature of this documentary to be quite helpful. I am sincerely baffled as to why this book has not been made into a movie.
on 30 August 1999
I read this book after a history professor mentioned her casein class. It was not required reading material, but it sounded interesting.
This book was purely based on historical facts, which often leave out a great deal of detail, but the author addresses some possible implications of certain documentable facts within the trial.
This book is great, and everyone should read it in order to better understand the "Peculiar Institution" of our nation's past.
on 25 August 2013
This account of a slave, written by herself is excellent. If you are genuinely interested in getting a feel of what slavery was, written by someone who was directly affected by it, then this is for you. Celia will give you insight into how slavery was a cancer of the soul to many of the slave owners, you will feel her emotions as she progresses through her life. All in all an excellent read and something that richly deserves my 100% recommendation.
on 17 September 2011
I bought this book to read on the plane on the way to Tenerife. I thought it would be a good read, but there are so many references to different things I found it very hard. Buried underneath all the information that is not needed there is a glimmer of a story that grabs you. I found myself skipping pages and pages of bumf looking for Celia's name in the hope of finding her actual story. I was very disappointed, glad I took another book with me.
on 19 June 2008
I Bought this book after seeking to know more about African history,
enslavement and the effects it had on society,
and it is a very sad but also inspiring story about a women who didn't have rights, was expected to please her master at any time he comanded,
and inspiring because her resistance to stand up to her right caused so much controversy and played a part in how the people around newsom farm viewed themselves and slavery.
A must read for all those interested in slavery history, the psychological effect of slavery and societys attitude to cilia's actions.
on 15 December 2012
Very sad story I would loved having more information about celia but there wasn't enough information about her and her past before she lived with the old man or about her parents :/
But It's a must read
on 8 January 2014
I like very much this item. I recommend to everyone.
This a story of llive that we never forget and we must always remember.
on 16 December 2011
A good little read on past slave history and Celia what a lady of her time ! A small compact book , so can fit into your pocket or handbag :-)
on 10 February 2014
Didn,t find book good reading, just couldnt get into it. Maybe good for students doing research or writing a paper