on 27 April 1999
In DEVIL'S BRIDE, we meet Honoria Wetherby, a woman determined to enjoy life to it's fullest without the shackles of marriage. One stormy night she encounters a young man who is dying of a gunshot wound. While trying to help him, she meets the young man's powerful cousin, who she later finds out is Sylvester "Devil" Cynster, Duke of St. Ives. Due to the storm and the circumstances, they end up spending the night in a cottage. Young Tolly Cynster dies during the night never being able to reveal what happened to him. Unfortunately, when Honoria and Devil are found, she is compromised. Devil immediately decided to have her as his duchess. But first he has to convince her into marrying him. This starts off a delightful cat and mouse game. We also meet the other wickedly handsome and rakish Cynster cousins, Vane, Scandal, Gabriel, Demon and Lucifer. The six are called the Bar Cynster . I nearly passed out because this book got soooo HOT! Devil is an absolute dream! Add an unknown murderer on the loose, coincidental "accidents", steamy erotic sex, and a mushy romance and you've got yourself a winner!
You just have to read A RAKE'S VOW, Vane's story, and SCANDAL'S BRIDE, Richard's story. Talk about HOOOT!!! I can't wait for the other Cynster novels to come. We still have three Cynster rakes to go.
DEVIL'S BRIDE is a wonderful romantic read filled with humor, mystery, suspense, and a passionate love. I recommend it and the other Cynster novels. You'll love them! Trust me!
on 17 August 2017
This is the first book in a fifteen book series. I have read three of these already and they don't really spoil the earlier ones. Stephanie Laurens writes well - which is a huge plus. There are also very few, if any, Americanisms and I did not notice any mistakes with the the titles. These are another two pluses. Are there any minuses? Well, I felt, particularly at a point about halfway through, that I was ploughing through far too many 'bedroom' scenes. Yes, readers expect them, and, if well written, one or two add a spice to the story. But sometimes, in a third, fourth or even fifth such scene, allusion would be enough. Well, they do say that less can be more.

What of the story itself? I liked Honoria and I grew to like the autocratic Devil, and his five fellow Bar Cynster members. The main characters are all well drawn and there is a good murder mystery to go alongside the romance, and I really did enjoy the read. All that has brought it down a star in my mind is the 'ennui' of wading through one too many love scene.

This is a good meaty series, and I would definitely recommend it - particularly if the remaining eleven books are as good as the four I have read.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 April 2017
A romantic tale, well told. The narrative rattles along nicely and there are plenty of romantic moments (although the prose is rather overblown); the characters are well drawn, the scene-setting is evocative and the hero is suitably masculine and confident and the heroine suitably independent and determined. I enjoyed it and will buy the next in the series because I love a good saga.
on 22 October 2017
OMG! I sooo loved Devil's bride! Everything about it! Devil is such a wonderful hero as well as Honoria. She is perfect for a commanding man like Devil that is used to get his way. The plot is so entertaining. Stephanie Laurens did it again with is amazing first book of the Cynster series. Highly recommended!
on 16 December 2014
This is a poor example of the genre.
on 8 February 2013
I can't finish this. I keep rolling my eyes with the ridiculous dialogue and attitudes of the inanely named characters within the pages of this book. After I read that the hero and heroine got to "the porch" of his grand estate house, I almost threw the book in the trash. Did Pemberly have a PORCH? Does Balmoral have a PORCH? Good Gracious. And sorry, I know I'm not supposed to, but I keep pronouncing the heroine's name so it rhymes with "gonorrhea". Absolute tripe. I feel robbed and I don't understand all these glowing reviews. The writing is deplorable and silly. My first and last from this author, unfortunate that I invested in some others as they had a reduced price, but I think my time would be better spent filing my nails.
on 4 October 2000
This was the first of the Cynster stories that I have read, and what a treat it was - I really had difficulty putting this one down! The hero and heroine were both compelling characters - exactly the way I like them. With faults like everybody else, but thoroughly engaging. Miss Laurens certainly knows how to write love scenes also. Absolutely sizzling comes to mind!. The only reason I haven't rated this novel at the five stars it should receive is that it fails completely as a thriller. The villian is entirely too obvious and it is almost insulting to the reader in it's simplicity. All in all, I would recommend this book to anybody who enjoys romance with a sensual twist - but don't buy it if you're looking for a 'who dunnit' or you'll be very disappointed.
on 23 August 2004
This is the first Stephanie Laurens book I have read, and it has got me hooked on her work.
This is the first of the Cynster series, and is about the head of the family, Devil.
Honoria Anstruther-Weatherby, a strong minded young lady, determined never to marry. Devil Cysnter, rake, is just as determined that they will marry. The sparks fly whilst they work to revole their difference and to solve a murder.
Honoria comes across as a very realistic personality, she is intelligent, strong willed and stubborn. Devil is honorable, just as stubborn but is very protective and possessive. The writer manages to paint the scenes/backgrounds so well that it is very easy to imagine being there.
I really fell in love with all of the characters, and have gone onto the further enjoy the other Cynster books. All the books in the series can be read and enjoyed as stand alones.
Highly recommend this series.
on 30 December 2001
I am awfully pleased with this novel as I took it at face value. It is a wonderfully written story that has so much more to say than the norm. I was escalated to another plane through it as it encompasses all that I love about the Regency period without being 'trite' and trivial, precisely about the period it describes.
The passion within the story manages to be sublime without being vulgar and at the same time the characters are true to their nature throughout.
It is truly powerful and I say this as I begin to read to it for the second time.
Smashing stuff!
on 2 November 2002
"Devil's Bride is the first novel in Ms Laurens' Cynster Dynasty series. The story is set in Regency England and it takes us into the exciting lives of the ton especially the Cynster ducal family.This is my first book by the author and I have decided to read the series in order.Devil's story is a very entertaining read and I hope the others will live up to their reputation too.
Devil Cynster originally called the Duke of St. Ives is the head of his extensive family. Everyone thinks his nickname is very accurate because he is like the "devil" in appearence and behavior too.He meets Honoria Anstruther-Wetherby under very strange circumstances but he immediately knows that he has just met his fate.They find the body of a young man who was shot in the woods. The boy is Tolly, Devil's cousin and his mysterious death starts their story together. They spend a night under the same roof of a cottage together with the corpse and Devil knows Honoria is copromised in the eyes of society. He decides that the best solution for them is to marry and this is his wish as well. He wants Honoria for his Duchess because he is attracted to her and she fulfills all his requirements in a wife. And when a Cynster wants something in life they go and get it without leaving any obstacles in the way.Honoria is a well bred young lady who loves adventure. That is the reason she works as a finishing governess for aristocratic families. She plans to travel to Africa and enjoy her independent life among the pyramids of Egypt. The last thing on her mind is to marry, especially a tyrant controlling Cynster like Devil.Both leading characters are wonderfully alive, strong, intelligent and a matching pair in every possible way.
Honoria is attracted to Devil's charm, his confidence in himself and his honour to his family. She fights the attraction because she doesn't want to give up her plans for independence. Devil is intrigued by Honoria. He knows he wants her in his bed and in his life as a mother of his children. He takes up the challenge of winning her hand in marriage. Their battle of the sexes is powerful, sometimes funny, exciting and very sensual. At the same time the Cynsters want to solve the mystery around Tolly's death. All the Cynster males are arrogant, handsome and very controlling. They protect what is theirs, their women and children but they have clear definitions what a woman can and cannot do. They certainly don't agree with Honoria's intention to be involved in the murder mystery. Devil has his hands full of Honoria, her stubborness drives him crazy and at the same time he is lusting after her.The author has a wonderful writing style and gives us a detailed description of her heroes' behavior, their feelings and passion for each other. Devil and Honoria fight love at every possible turn until they must surrender to it. The way it comes to them is very realistic and warms the reader's heart.
DEVIL'S BRIDE is a well-written Regency romance from the pen of a talented author. The historical era is well researched and the characters are well developed. The novel is full of action and the story needs to be savoured step by step.
Stephanie Laurens introduces a bunch of promising secondary characters.The Cynsters are a charming lot and I look forward to continue reading about them.