Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 12 April 2000
Lauren Haney magnificently recreates everyday life in ancient Egypt during the interesting reign of the only female Pharaoh. Where this series differs from novels by other authors set in Ancient Egypt, is that Haney's stories concern the work of a provincial police force commander, rather than the pharaoh and the intruiges of the royal court. Here the head of the local Medjay Police force, Bak, has a complicated case of murder to contend with. The detail of life in Ancient Eygpt is recreated with wonderful ease, without the novel starting to read like a tect book. One started you won't want to put it down. Well worth a read !
Lieutenant Bak is crossing the Nile when he discovers the body of a man in the river. The knife down his throat proved he was murdered. But who was he and why was he killed? Meanwhile, the god Amon is traveling up the river to meet with a tribal king bringing his son to be healed. Bak would like to lead his mean in guarding the god on his journey, but first he must solve this crime.
I must admit to really being conflicted on this book. There were so many mentions of previous crimes that Bak had solved, I was sure I was jumping in in the middle of the series. Yet everywhere I've looked has led me to believe this is the first book. It started out very slowly, and I was tempted to stop a time or two. But I pressed on, and it got better as it went along. I think part of my problem getting into the book was the strange character and place names. Fortunately, there was a cast of characters and area map at the beginning I used for the first half of the novel to keep all those strange names straight. By the end, I had come to like Bak and was drawn into his quest of find the killer.
I’m being generous and giving this four starts because I did enjoy the second half of the book, and I'll give the author another try. Hopefully, later books in the series start stronger and are more enjoyable over all.
on 21 March 1999
I could barely get through this book. Everything was padded to novel length when the content deserved little more than short story treatment. Even with the provided character glossary the political hierarchy and relationship was still confusing. There was little tension and drive. Steven Saylor and Lindsey Davis have no competition here.
on 29 November 1998
Amazon repeatedly recommended this book to me and I am really glad I took it up on the challenge. The Right Hand of Amon reads quickly and easily. I started it this morning and finished early this afternoon. I found another book by the same author that is to be released shortly, but parts of the Right Hand read like there have been books previously published. If this is so I'd be interested in learning of their existence. If this is indeed the first in a series as other reviewers have stated, I look forward to many more.
I recommend this to any who enjoy historical whodunnits.
on 9 May 1998
Lauren Haney has done an excellent job of catching the reader's attention in this first book. The characters are believable and complex; the details are scholarly but not overwhelming; the plot is well told and plausible. You can smell the Nile, taste the dust in the hot air, and see the colors of the lentil fields. She is the best writer of Egyptian mysteries since Anton Gill (City of Dreams, etc.) and I can hardly wait for her next book!
on 13 November 1997
This book is like "Hill Street Blues" set in ancient Egypt. The head of an Egyptian policy force has 5 days to track down the killer of a nobleman's son. Along the way, he discovers a plot to kill a powerful Kushite king. The setting is exotic, but the motives of each of the characters -- greed, power, lust -- are completely universal.
on 6 November 1998
A murder mystery which, pleasantly, takes a non-traditional approach. The writing left me hearing, seeing and smelling ancient Eygpt. The characters had depth, even the victim, whose life was ended within the first couple of chapters. The main character was likeable, honest and yet had human foibles. I couldn't put this book down.
on 9 March 1998
Lauren Haney has done an excellent job weaving multiple storylines of human interest with a compelling mystery set in 18th dynasty Egypt. The setting is so wonderfully integrated into the story that you feel yourself transported back through the ages. Highly recommended.
on 16 March 1998
Ms Haney has done much research to make the settings as accurate as possible. The novel helps one to feel as if they were in this setting. This book is hard to put down. I look forward to her next book in this series.