Customer reviews

on 18 March 1998
This is a fascinating novel about a part of American history that I don't know very well. Shaker society was never really covered in class, and so I read this with fascination. Besides the well done parts about Shaker society, the mystery itself is also fun to read about. Sister Callahan seems to be the only sane person sometimes there as the other Shakers are portrayed as religious fanatics to the point of being violently fanatical. I'm hoping that the people we meet in the next book will be a tad calmer. Besides that one problem I was still enchanted by this book and look forward to the next one.
on 10 January 2015
I loved this book. Sister Rose is a charming protagonist with an interesting back story and the young Eugenia is a superb foil for the older woman. I must disahree with the previous reviewer howver. There is only one fanatical character on the small Shaker community, all others are peaceful, apart of course from the perpatrator, but is it a member of the Shaker community or someone from the b8goted local community.
As well as being an excellent mystery,, elegantly written, this is a fascinating portrayal of the conflict between communities during the Depression years.
I wish that more of these books were on kindle, however I now have to wait a few weeks to Amazon them from the USA.
Highly recommended.