Customer reviews

on 15 January 2014
I had a slipped disc in 1997, and despite visiting various medical professionals, it was never 100% sorted out. I bought this book in 2003, when I moved to London, and it saved me. Not kidding. I've never had a back problem since. Forget that crap about sit-ups, crunches, etc. All good to build muscle, but NOT the supporting deep muscles that hold your core together. I use 3 of these exercises several times a week, and have NEVER had ANY back problem since starting the exercises. Either ignore the advice, or try it : it seriously could change your life! The choice is yours....
on 29 May 2008
Don't be fooled by the title; alleviation of your back ache is guaranteed, but something truly unbelievable gets thrown in: better posture, and... a FLAT TUMMY!

Nancy Swayzee is an ordinary woman like all of us. Her tone is conversational and sympathetic, as if she is your own best girl friend. No preaching, no hectic formulas and regimes; just plain old good advice.

The exercises are easy as pie. All you need to do is make the time, only a little bit of time.

And, what's more, these exercises will benefit your man too! So, in stead of struggling to find the time to be alone, get him to join you. He will be amazed at the 'six pack' he develops without crunches!

EVERYONE, buy this book; it is life-changing stuff!
on 17 June 2005
I bought this book on line and used the methods the first night I picked up the book. I felt more relaxed and felt the stress melt away from my shoulders and upper back.Recommend to anyone trying to reduce their stress, it helped me , I also recommend The Backsmart Fitness Plan, this book also help me a lot with building a stronger more limber body. Hope this review helps you.
on 27 March 1998
This book was an easy read. The author makes a successful effort to communicate on the average reader's level as opposed to trying to impress you with alot of technical jargon. There is however, enough hard-fact, expert language that even the most advanced excercise enthusiast doesn't tire of reading this book. Swayzee is an excellent author and knows her topics well. I look forward to learning more from her in future books.
on 7 March 1999
Ms. Swayzee wrote her book for the lay person, yet you will find that it is not at all simplistic. IF YOU WANT RELIEF FROM LOW BACK PAIN OR IF YOU HAVE A HEALTHY BACK AND YOU WANT TO KEEP IT THAT WAY you must learn how to function, day to day, utilizing a stable trunk. This means, that YOUR UPPER BODY AND LOWER BODY NEED TO LEARN TO STAY TOGETHER AS A SINGLE, STABILIZED, UNIT as you lift, work, carry, etc. This book tells you how to use your inner abdominal muscles to achieve a stable trunk. In my opinion, the critical discovery set forth in this book is the use of forced-expiration breathing to achieve a body stabilizing abdominal contraction. This technique allows instant access to a stable trunk and can therefore be used moment to moment, throughout the day. I use her method constantly all day long. This is the only effective way I know to protect the back during the damaging rigors of everyday life. It allows a person to quickly target the proper abdominal muscles and then to maintain a more powerful, more sustained abdominal contraction when needed. During quieter activities when I am not lifting, pulling, pushing, carrying etc. I maintain a constant 10% to 15% contraction as a matter of routine posture. I look better and I feel better. IN FACT AFTER TWO YEARS OF SERIOUS DAILY LOW BACK PAIN, I FEEL GREAT!! If practiced for a few weeks, this health-preserving technique soon develops into a reflex that becomes automatic. THIS BOOK CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE!
on 10 June 1999
I love the book. Very well explained. Simple exercises but very effective. I have bought many books about the back, and this is really the best. I just would love to get the audio tapes. I live in UK. Please, if you know how I could get them, write me to javismiles@excite.com thanks a lot
on 1 October 1998
I thought the book was wonderful and has been a tremendous help with the ongoing, nagging back problems I have had for years. I do the excerises religiously and have seen and felt nothing but improvement since purchasing the book in May. When will the author be releasing another book?
on 21 February 1999
This is the best book ever for understanding and attaining strength and health. The exercises REALLY work. I saw results in a couple of weeks. My back feels better and my stomach looks better. And I keep doing the exercises everyday because the author talks me through them! No pages to turn and nothing to remember. Breathworks exercises are on cassette too. I love the sound of her voice! The best combination ever, information AND motivation. Get the book and the tapes now!!