on 1 June 2003
This is an excellant book, I wish all GP's would read it so they could help more! Dr Gillespie in her book give's you hope that it is possible to live without cystitis. Quite a few chapters of the book talk about interstital cystitis, but this advice is also helpful to people with other/bacteria cystitis and bladder problems. The book tells you (in a way that is easy to understand) about how your how your body works, this helps you to understand why you might have cystitis.
I found the chapter on "Why you have cystitis" is the most helpful information I've ever read on the subject.( It also includes a bit on yeast infections which is helpful)
The book has explanations and reasons for why you may have cystitis,and how to avoid it.
I would recommend it to anyone with cystitis.
on 30 May 2014
I found a couple of years ago that I have interstitial cystitis and this book changed my life from the foods-to-avoid section alone. She mentions foods which are not on any other lists I've seen even on good self-help websites and which I would never have guessed were irritant to IC sufferers. Provided I avoid them I no longer really know I have IC. She even gives information on how you can still in moderation and with extra care get to have tea, tomatoes and certain wines.

The rest of the book provides an amazing font of knowledge - ALL of it useful in my opinion.

I think it was last revised in 1996 (?) and I would love to see what a more recent edition would contain; I notice a recent reviewer has pointed out a low-thyroid connection which I believe is not mentioned by Dr Gillespie. Otherwise I would have given five stars.
on 28 May 2004
I bought this book thinking that it would provide me with several hundreds pages of tips on how to prevent 'common' cystitis, but found myself confronted with many more chapters on interstitial cystitis. As a frequent sufferer of 'common' cystitis, I found that reading the chapters on interstitial cystitis started to make me paranoid and get thoroughly confused about symptoms, treatments and prevention techniques. While I can recommend this book wholeheartedly for those sufferers of interstitial cystitis and am sure that it will provide a wealth of information and comfort, I found the information for 'common' cystitis scarce amongst the chapters on interstitial cystitis, incontinence, pregnancy and bladder cancer.
on 18 July 2017
Interesting with lots of helpful chapters
on 8 August 2017
Useful information. Really good read
on 6 September 1998
If you have ever suffered from any type of bladder problems or pain, you won't want to miss this opportuntity to learn more about how to overcome some of the symptoms of the dreaded disease of Interstitial Cystitis. I was diagnosed with this condition in 1988 after four very long years of suffering and going from doctor to doctor. Then I met Larrian Gillespie and found that my symptoms weren't in my head as many of the other doctors had told me, but that indeed IC was my problem. After reading this wonderful book, I was able to put into practice many of the recommendations and lifestyle changes that she suggested. The diet hints were especially helpful, as many of my symptoms worsened when eating the wrong foods. Living with this condition is not easy, but with understanding from a kind and caring physician, making the required changes in your diet and lifestyle, it is a condition that you can live with. As a registered nurse, I appreciated the medical reasoning presented in this book, but even someone with no medical background will enjoy the wit and humor that Larrian has brought to this subject. I've learned to live with my condition and you can too. Don't miss this opportunity to help yourself to better health and less pain as a result of this sometimes debilitating disease. Thank you, Larrian so much for caring for the needs of so many, many suffers from this condition.
on 24 April 1999
As an Interstitial Cystitis sufferer since 1987 I have read numerous books and articles. In my opinion, this is the best guide to better understand and help with a personal plan to battle this disease. I continually use this book as a guide and source of information. Anyone suffering from Interstitial Cystitis should put this on their "must have" list.
on 9 December 2013
This book has really highlighted to me that the journey to heal from this is very individual and that you need to be proactive in finding your own cure. As a regular sufferer, I had read Angela kilmartin's books on the subject, and her approach is very much about cleanliness and her bottle washing system which I follow religiously - however, this has not helped. Gillespie debunks the idea that cystitis is caused by lack of cleanliness or sex - a well bladder and immune system is equipped to cope with these things - if you suffer with repeated infections there are a myriad of other reasons for it. Additionally, current practises do not test well for the bugs that cause cystitis and the usual tests may not cover all the bugs you're infected with - thus the antibiotics you're given do not treat you properly resulting in a resurgence of cystitis again and again. These harder to diagnose and treat bugs can also lead to interstitial cystitis. Abnormalities of the urinary system are normally picked up in childhood, however, I was not aware that back injuries and pelvic floor disfunction can effect how the bladder empties. Doing pelvic floor exercises may be making your problems worse - tight muscles here can prevent a good flow and even stop you emptying you bladder properly leading to infections. As a result of this book I have found a physio who specialises in gynae and pelvic floor rehab to explore this possibility. A light came on when I read this book - it's really given me hope and new channels to explore in the pursuit of my own cure.
on 19 October 2005
I went online and purchased this book in a fit of frustration a year ago. For the last 14 years I have been battling cystitis almost constantly, going to see my GP every 4-6 weeks for yet another course of antibiotics. If I didn't have an attack for a whole 2 months, I considered myself blessed. For the last 2-3 years, the pain had never really gone away.
Since reading this book 12 months ago, I have been to see my doctor for cystitis ONLY ONCE. For the last 3 months, the near-constant discomfort has mostly gone away. I am not "cured" but I understand now how my body works now that it has been damaged by recurrent cystitis. I can work WITH my body when I notice problems instead of panicking and making it worse.
I whole-heartedly recommend this book to anyone who suffers recurrent cystitis. This woman is an expert on female bladder function - she knows what she is talking about and her advice WORKS.
on 24 April 1999
I found this book recommended on a site and bought it. I was going to have a hysterectomy but wisely decided against it after reading the information contained in the chapter on incontinence. This book told me what I needed to know to make the right decision for me. I was able to ask my doctor questions that made the surgery unecessary. This book saved me! Every woman with any bladder problems, regardless of age, should read this book. I'm glad I did. Dr Gillespie gives you the information to empower yourself.