on 14 February 1999
I am an avid reader of romance novels, I have read many but never have I come across one so original. If you read romance novels as much as I do, you would know that great, imaginative storylines are rare and hard to find. This, indeed, is one of the best books I've come across. I always find it irritating when I read a one-sided review that tells me nothing about what the book is about, so here it is [breifly]: Rowena Belleme, a young, beautiful, virginal, aristocratic woman is forced to do the unthinkable due to some terrible circumstances. She's made to 'rape' Warrick, a great Lord, who also happens to be a gorgeous, big giant of a man. After the deed is done - the reason the deed was done was because Rowena's elderly husband croaked in the nick of time and a suitable replacement was needed fast! so became the abduction of Warrick - they let the handsome knight go, never expecting to hear from him again. What a shock they were in for because in not too long Warrick was back, and with his army too. Rowena was captured, as Warrick had vowed revenge and Rowena was going to pay. She was taken to his castle, where she was repaid in kind by Warrick, over and over, again and again. After a while Rowena is made his personal servant to serve him only. I bet you can guess that his passion is very ardent and she recoils at first, fearing his lust ... I'll let you wonder the rest.
Anyway, the book was a delightful read. I'm not an obssessive fan of Ms. Lidsey's but I must say that she has done a very, very good job. I recommend this book to anyone who likes tummy-wrenching erotica along with sweet romance. I thought this book was a two-hanky read.
on 8 March 2017
💖💝
on 16 March 2005
Lindsey, the author of nearly 40 romance novels, is back with a vintage cloth edition of this book (originally published in 1991), which proves that a well-written romance novel never goes out of style. The year is 1152 and, as a woman, Lady Rowena Belleme has no rights. Her evil stepbrother, Gilbert d'Ambray, desires control over as much English land as possible and has pledged Rowena's hand to Lyons of Kirkburough-a man so near death he is a walking corpse. Rowena at first refuses, but Gilbert threatens to kill Rowena's mother if she does not comply. Before the marriage can be consummated, Lyons dies and Rowena celebrates her good fortune, until Gilbert arrives with a new plot-Rowena must become pregnant before Lyons's death is announced. For three nights, Rowena lies with a handsome stranger kidnapped by Gilbert's men. Ashamed at the mistreatment of the man and knowing that Gilbert plans to kill him, Rowena helps him escape. Soon after, Kirkburough is attacked by Gilbert's nemesis Lord Fulkhurst. Rowena is captured and taken to the Fulkhurst dungeon, where Lord Warrick de Chaville cruelly strips Rowena of her title and forces her to become his serf. Despite their passionate hatred of one another, a fervor smolders between them, igniting passion of another kind. Warrick, always feared by the fairer sex, is intrigued by Rowena, who is not afraid of him. Rowena, accustomed to men using her for their own gain, is astonished that Warrick truly cares about her. But will their newfound love be enough to overcome Gilbert's vengeful wrath? Rowena and Gilbert are splendid protagonists, humorously stubborn and pleasingly forthright
on 27 March 2005
This was the first Johanna Lindsey romance I had ever read and I literally couldn't put it down. If you like your romances raunchy and erotic then you won't be disappointed with this. The character's make you care what's happening to them and the villians are not just your usual one dimensional "boo-hiss" stereotypes. Read this book....you won't be disappointed !!!
on 10 April 1999
Just finished this book this morning and it only took me one day to read it. Lindsey never disappoints and usually a rape makes the happily ever after rather idiotic and unnatural, but since he is the one who is raped and can't help but enjoy himself, it made for a very interesting story. Revenge is sweet and the ending is even sweeter. Try this new twist on the historical romance.
on 10 August 1999
What a great story! I'm not surprised though.. Johanna Lindsey is my all time favorite author. That's why I read romance novels, because they are passionate and you get lost in them and forget about the real world. I will keep this one in my collection. Warrick was a mans man and Rowena a perfect partner for him.
on 30 January 1999
This was an excellent book. I loved how Rowena had an atitude twards Warric and changed him from a mean man to a sweet gentel man. I also liked the sex in the book. Thats what made it interesting. it is great book!!!
on 13 February 2000
I loved this book! The characters were wonderful and Warrick could tie me up anytime. I am a fan of romance novels and JL in particular but this one is right up there with the Malory novels. She has a real knack for creating unbelieveably gorgeous men and the sex scenes in this book were really sizzling! The chemistry was there from start to finish. If you are still dithering about buying this book.....dont!
on 1 January 2002
I have been a fan of JL for years and have read all her books. I like everyone else love the Malory men but I have to say that this book ranks right up there with the Malorys. The chemistry between Warrick and Rowena is electric, and doesnt diminish no matter how many times you re read the book.
I would recommend this to anyone who likes historical romance and to all new and old JL fans
on 26 February 1999
Oh my God, this book was hot. I could not put it down. I recommend this one (if you like a lot of sex).