Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 7 February 2004
The deeply disturbing thing about this book is not the brutal murder at its core but my reaction to those who started out as victims and finished up as anything but, and the "bully" who was in effect reduced to less than dirt.
In particular, what I found so disturbing was the way that Shultz was able to get me as a reader to see that there is a grey area in murders - it isn't a question of did they kill, for that goes without saying. But if they did, are they guilty of murder? Are they responsible for they're actions? Isn't the murder a predictable response to the years of abuse that they had suffered? There is a constant and uncomfortable presence of this idea of a thin line between good and evil and the duality that exists within the individual.
I found myself literally at his mercy as I was exposed to some of the most brutal forms of assault and found myself sympathising more with the killers than I did with the eventual victim. But as the book unfolded, I was forced to question my own vision of morality – is it only self-defence if you are protecting yourself at the time? Can it be self-defence if you are trying to protect yourself from the future? When does it cease to be self-defence and turn out to be brutal murder?
I cannot say, but in reading the book it is certainly a question that will need to be answered.
The story - Absolutely tragic. A terrible waste of young minds - young lives. But what is really awful is that this can happen again, because after all, the people involved at the centre are just that - people. You’ll be surprised how much like them you really are.
A ‘must’ on the bookshelf for any parent. A ‘must’ on the bookshelf for any teenager. "Bully: A True story of High School Revenge" is a fantastic story about love, hate, loyalty, betrayal and innocence lost.
on 20 February 2003
Wow! This book was seriously addictive, from the very first paragraph all the way to the last. I have never read a book which has left me, firstly speechless and secondly full of different feelings and emotions. Unless you know this story, you can't begin to realise the depth it involves and Jim Schutze does the most amazing job of re-telling it.
At times I almost forgot this was a true story because it's written in such a way that it reads like a fiction book.
Schutze also passes the difficult test of not showing any bias opinions towards anyone involved in this true crime and because of this, neither did I.
I am now so interested in the story, I intend on carrying out some more research.
Read this and be amazed!
on 4 May 1999
I just purchased this book on a whim and read it from cover to cover on a three hour flight! I have never read a book this quickly. This book is remarkable both in it's detail as well as it's writing style. It is a very sad testment to today's youth and should be must reading for everyone in high school. One of the best true crime books I have ever read.
on 25 September 1998
This book has got to be the best book Ive ever read! I found some interesting facts about the charectors. "Heather Swallers" got out of prison on May 4 1998. "Lisa connellys' sentanced was reduced from life to the year 2006!!! "Ali Willis gets out in 2003, Derek Kaufmans got bumped up to LIFE!! "Derek Dzvirko" gets out in 2003!!! AWeSOME BOOK, I definetly recomend it!!!
on 10 June 1999
A real life horror story. A harrowing account of seven teenagers who takes matters in their own hands to get rid of a bully. To make matters worse, they still don't understand that they did anything wrong, along with their parents. A must read for any teenager or a true crime buff. Mr. Schutze is truly a gifted writer
on 9 September 1998
This book was excellent from beginning to end! From the author's excellent character descriptions to shocking descriptions of the crime, this book is one you will definitely recommend to others. Surely a great read, don't pass it up!
on 14 April 1999
This is the most real book I've read in a long time. Once I got it I couldnt put it down. It's a disturbing book about growing up without any guidence. I remcomend it strongly
on 9 July 1997
I am 14 years old, so naturally I want to read books about High School. So, without ever hearing about this book, I picked it up at the library last week. "Bully" really tells in horrifying fashion the way some kids choose to handle their problems. I was on the edge of my seat every time I picked up "Bully." Usually, it takes me atleast a week to read a good size book, but I read bully in 4 hours! A must have for any High Scool student, or anyone who likes a good non-fiction book! This gets two thumbs up from me!
on 17 December 1998
Me beeing a teen and reading this book, really kept me on the edge of my seat. I really enjoyed the book, and couldn't put it down once I picked it up. The book contains everything a teenage kid would want to read about, due to the fact the book revolves around us. I recommend this book to any teen willing to take the time to read a good book that you are sure to enjoy.
on 14 July 1997
The story is riveting, but truly unsettling. It's hard to believe there is a generation of young people that could be like this and do what they did. However, the author does a fine job of filling in the family histories, giving a glimpse of why these young people could veer off course. The author's style is quite good, in that the action is quite disjointed, but he amazingly presents it in a fast-paced manner without leaving the reader wondering what's going on or who's who. One minor complaint is that the author often adopts the language and vernacular of the young people he documents. This is a shame, as it indicates the environment that our culture has become (and in which the characters in this story were raised), even in such an otherwise astonishly well-written and documented book.