Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 13 July 1999
After seeing all the bad reviews I was curious to read this one. It turned out to be very good, despite the rape scenes. It has some unexpected turns and Bettina's character is refreshingly fiesty. But this book also shows the truth of that time period. I enjoyed it.
on 24 October 2011
The reason why I love Johanna Lindsey's books is the strength of the female characters that she creates. Bettina, though? Never before have I been more tempted to toss a book out of the window in such utter despair. Unrealistic, one-dimensional and irritating are the kindest words I can use to describe her.

Why Tristan wants her is a mystery to me - were I him, no amount of 'beauty' could convince me to tolerate her. And as for Bettina wanting him after all that he puts her through? Incomprehensible.

Do yourself a favour and mentally chalk this one off the list of Lindsey's books. There are many others she has written that far outstrip this offering - I recommend that you check those out instead and give this one a wide berth (ahem).
on 16 March 2004
Coercion and an amount of force used in making love has been an element in at least one other Lindsey book, I have read (Fires of Winter), and when used with strong character description and plot it can be a spicy dimension in a romantic fantasy. This early Lindsey novel, however, only manages to paint a revolting picture of rape as something women have to accept to be loved.

We are presented with a man who repeatedly rapes the woman he has captured and then blames her for resisting and therefore not enjoying it. Rather than offering support and comfort, the woman's own mother and her nanny recommend she get used to being raped and also suggest she should accept it as a fact of life and let the man get on with it. The theory put forward by both women and men is that it is only "rape" if the woman resists and is beaten while trying to avoid sexual intercourse. If she is threatened into submission it is "making love".
You do not have to be a rape victim to see the distinction!
on 28 May 1999
After reading all the bad reviews i had to read this book myself. I can't belive they didnt like the book. I really enjoyed this book. Ok so the heroine wasnt verra strong. She gave in a lot. But that is life. Everyone is NOT strong. She did have quite the temper though<g> Basically, its about a noble girl from France setting sail to marry a count she has never met. She is abducted by a pirate who wants her verra badly. He falls in love with her but doesnt know it. She does the same but tries to escape him numerous times. It has a few sub plots that are suprising. It was a refreshing story to read.
on 17 August 2004
I didn't think this book was as bad as some readers have made out. Okay, so there was bits of the book where Tristan (raped) Bettina but this is fiction. There are some funny moments, I especially liked the part when Bettina meets her real father you can just picture the look on Tristans face.
on 10 June 1999
AFTER READING THE REVIEWS THAT THIS BOOK RECEIVED, I HAD TO READ IT MYSELF. THOUGH IT IS TRUE THAT THE HEROINE WAS RAPED IT IS ALSO TRUE THAT SHE DID NOT MIND IT BECAUSE THE HERO WAS GENTLE WITH HER AND TRIED NOT TO CAUSE HER UNDO PAIN.THE BOOK IS VERY GOOD AND IN MANY WAYS ABLE TO BE BELIEVED.
on 24 July 2016
I'm half way through this book and it is becoming a chore to turn the next page. It's not so much the rape in this book that gets me, it's the casual references to it that make this book rather boring actually. Rape again? Yawn! The same goes for the main characters. There is nothing endearing about either of them and I find myself not really caring what happens to them. This is far from the entertainment value of many of Johanna Lindsey's books. It seems like sometimes someone else is writing them. I sincerely hope that is the case with this book.
on 12 September 2012
its not so much the raping and hating of each other that goes on throughout the book right up to the end but what bothered me more is that even if we were expected to think thats a pirate in the 1600s where was there once a description by either one of them going crazy in each others arms that would slightly make this bearable when the got together it was the same spark as brushing ones teeth sad this one even if youre looking for an escape sth different you dont get that even read karen robards island flame exact same story but so sensually written!!!!!!!!!!
on 31 July 2001
The first book of JL i ever read, and is still one of the best she combines passion intrigue and drama all rolled into one. She gets the facts as real as possible and still makes it fun to read. If your new to her books then try this one and you'll be hooked for life once you start reading you can't put them down.
on 9 March 1999
I am proberbly biased as Joanna Lindsey is my passion. I can't see what the fuss is about, every book that came after was brilliant. So her one lapse from 5 star to what ever, is forgiveable.