Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 28 June 2013
I found some words and terms confusing but that is not a big deal, just go and look them up. If I knew more about the terrain I would have been better off as it was I skimmed some parts, and there is quite a lot of scene setting at the beginning of the book.
The story was interesting once it got under way and I preferred it when Joe Leaphorn was centre stage. The story is mainly set around Bergen McKee, archaeologist friend of Joe's, who has to navigate his way (and that of his female colleague) out of some very serious trouble with some very violent men.
The insight into some Navajo customs is really good but I do not know if I would rush back for second helpings (if I saw it somewhere though, I might well give it another go).
on 14 July 2017
This book arrived promptly
However the cover was torn. It was yellow with age and pages fell apart.
It was described as excellent quality.
Not accurate.
It was only 1p but over £2 postage. If accurate deception of quality would havr been fine.
on 17 October 1998
This was my first Hillerman book. It was impossible to put down. The mixture of mystery and Navajo history was perfect. I can't wait to read more of his books
on 31 March 2013
I enjoyed this book, which I picked up in Bryce Canyon City (more like a hamlet) on a tour of Utah during a holiday from the UK. I love US crime fiction and this book gave an insight into the landscape above and beyond anything you'd get from a guidebook.

The Navajo tribal ways, and how bad eggs are dealt with; the inaccessibility of the canyons (pre mobile phones); the harshness of the terrain; the insularity of the tribes; the poetry of the old word-of-mouth sayings... all of this comes across. I was recommended this book by the guy behind the counter at the shop at Ruby's Inn, and I'd recommend it too.
on 6 January 2016
Why does the UK not have this series in Kindle format? I have all the books (and 4 DVD's), along with three photographic books on the three corners area - but now I am disabled, I have great difficulty holding any book - but my kindle and ipad are my new library. Come on Amazon - surely you can work out a deal - I have waited over 10 years for this ...
on 20 March 1999
I must say Mr. Hillerman knows his Navajo culture. Some very fascinating stuff. The plot was OK, though at times I felt it strayed a bit. It did come back in the second half of the book, which contained the most drama in the story as archeologist Bergen McKee is thrust into a life or death confrontation with the main villian.
VINE VOICEon 6 August 2004
"Among the lands of dawning, he stirs, he stirs.
The pollen of dawning, he stirs, he stirs.
Now in old age wandering, he stirs, he stirs.
Now on the trail of beauty, he stirs,
Talking God, he stirs..."

It is in the 1970's pre-cell phone where parallel lives take place. We have an Indian wanted for a stabbing who turns up dead. Not just dead but in the wrong place. Not the wrong place but in a mysterious way. There is also a team of archeologists looking into which craft (they just may find it). One archeologist seems to be missing. A strange Navaho has his hat stolen but the silver hatband left. A woman is coming to visit her fiancé is in for an adventure she did not count on. From all of this Joe Leaphorn must make some sort of sense.
It is the descriptiveness of Tony Hillerman that goes beyond the mystery to pant a picture of a different world that we get to glimpse in the process of reading.

It is the descriptiveness of Tony Hillerman that goes beyond the mystery to paints a picture of a different world that we get to glimpse in the process of reading.

Read the book but the addition of the voice of George Guidall ads a dimension to the story by helping visualize the people and correcting pronunciation of certain words. I suggest you read the book and listen to the recorded version.

Skinwalkers (Joe Leaphorn/Jim Chee Novels)
on 25 August 2012
Loved it! Even if it was an abridged version - 3 hours instead of the six that most of the other Hillerman audio books are. It was also interesting to listen to the voice of the author spinning his tale . . . .
on 24 March 2011
This is the first book by Tony Hillerman I've read & look forward to reading more in the series. I didn't understand all the terminology but it was OK.