on 21 May 2012
Came across this as a friend found it in a charity shop for 50p, I thought 'hmm, interesting', gave it a go.
I managed a few pages and a bit of skim reading here and there.
Conclusion? It's like it's been written by an intelligent, deep-thinking ten year old. One who is telling adults the best and wisest ways to live their lives.
Utter load of rubbish!
88 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 June 2015
This is a warning to people who are looking to potentially purchase this book, my husband was researching this side of theology and bought a copy, since it arrived we have had many problems from electrical issues, to arguments and things inexplicably being moved or going missing. We didn't connect the two until my husband had a dream telling him to burn the book, so we burned the book and all of the problems were immediately gone.
Please be careful when buying things like this because spirits can attach themselves to objects and this book in particular is a favorite for them.

Many thanks, Jake and Kim
66 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 February 2015
I hate it because i disagree with it . I bought it for study . I am a Christian who decided to read this tripe and it is tripe you can tell it was written by a Clown however he had his opinion for what its worth . And i believe on his deathbed Anton realized how wrong he had been . Is it worth the read ? that's up to you . But its not worth £1 coin in my opinion , no doubt some people read it and believe it but i would rather believe nothing than accept this rubbish .
33 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 March 2011
When one first hears the word 'Satanist' or 'Satanism', the instant thought of this 'man wearing a spiked-choker', and 'sacrificing several men in order to satisfy Satan' appears. I too had this thought, before I purchased this book.

LaVey is wise in his quick effort to point out that Satanism is hugely against pretty much everything that it is generally said to believe. At times it seemed like it was reading my life, and exactly the way that I do things, with emotional-attachment to the situation as well. There was one unnerving bit when he refers to the destructive side of Satanism, but I won't spoil.

When you -first- venture into the mind of LaVey, you begin to see such elegant levels of logic unfold. When I received it, I was delighted to learn that it was actually a fairly lengthy book (see pictures attached to the image-thumbnail at top), and not some rip-off that would give only a few paragraphs of useful information.

This book is the opposite. Worth the money, and it -is- a value-changer. It is pointed out that this book has changed lives before from the pure truth and philosophy in it. Naturally, I was a bit sceptical of this; however after reading the full book, I can say for a fact that I do look at things differently.

It does not teach what you would think 'Satanism' would be about from how Christianity has defined it over the years. To be completely honest- For the most part of the book, you could just hide the cover of the book, and it'd just be a pure book of brilliant observations based on the human way of living.

My only criticisms for this book would be regarding the content about 60% of the way through. Once you reach about 60% of the way through the book, it does seem to stray a bit from logic and lean a bit more towards the way of rituals with altars, et cetera. Being honest- I'd say that this is really the only thing I can think of that was disheartening.

Also- A warning- This book, especially towards the start has a very, very diverse vocabulary. I found myself reaching for the dictionary on several occasions. Though saying that- It only expanded my own vocabulary.
review imagereview image
on 2 December 2012
So, I read this when I was about sixteen and liked to see the looks on people's faces when they saw me reading it. Look at that big inverted pentacle. OoooOOOooooh. It wasn't completely without merit as I then went out and read its even more tired sister book The Satanic Witch, but the fact that I was reading a book called The Satanic Bible - and pissing off people around me as I read it on public transport - was worth far more to me than anything I was actually reading in it.

The one bit I found interesting was about `psychic vampires' also known as people who use you up. This phrase does seem to have been adopted more widely. One point to Mr. LaVey.

However, for the majority, this book is part gibberish, part self-aggrandisement and part nihilism. Takeaway morals were pretty much `do what you want, but don't be an idiot: the police will still come after you if you do a murder.' It's also disappointingly thin on magic. It claims pheromones are magic, acting sexy is magic, `psychodrama' is magic, and that any kind of big satanic ritual thing has power if the people involved are getting off on it - but that's where it begins and ends. So... no magic then?

While this is probably true, if you're sceptical about the existence of any occult powers then why bother with all the occult imagery? If you don't believe Satan even exists then why call yourselves `Satanists'? It's some unpleasant philosophy paired up with some shock value images and a smugness that anyone who is shocked just doesn't understand you 'cause they were too stoooopid to read the disclaimer.

Mazel tov, you little scamps. And what will you be doing for your A-levels?

Meh. If you're a teenager in the suburbs then by all means consider having this on your bookshelf to shock & annoy, but for the intellectually curious there are better books you could read on just about any topic this touches on: philosophy, sociology, psychology, the history of the occult, magic, Christ - even read Marilyn Manson's autobiography if you have to.

This book is the textual equivalent of those 1950s B-movie posters that promised so much and delivered so little.
on 18 November 2004
When I was 16, I read this book and actually enjoyed it - at least the first bit of it - once it wandered into the territory of the occult, my cynicism circuits re-engaged and I put it down.
All I can say is skip this and read Nietzsche instead. This is Nietzsche for Dummies: a huge ego-fulfilling prank played by Anton La Vey. Now that he's dead, the Church of Satan is the most pointless organisation in existence.
I'm not bad mouthing the man, according to his own philosophy he did exactly the right thing - conned thousands of people into sending him money by looking scary on the front of a book - well done Mr La Vey - but if you're looking for anything deeper than that, get the philosophy first hand and skip the junk.
Besides which, you can name check Nietzsche at parties until your dying day: professing to be a Satanist will only be cool until you leave school.
44 Comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 December 2017
Good quality book, brand new. As for what’s inside, well that’s up to judgment. Not what I expected but definitely worth a read even if just to shift any preconceptions on Satanism that you may have. I’m not sure if I find some part of the rituals to be sexist but that’s just me, others may view it differently. So I wouldn’t call myself a satanist but there’s definitely some good ideas in there on how to treat others even if he is a bit harsh and contradictory about religion in general. (Eg: do as you wish as long as it causes no harm to others.... but you can’t be religious! because that’s for idiots... but you can follow this ‘religion’)
review image
on 14 January 2014
I recently decided to finally read this book for myself after encountering some of the philosophy of its author, Anton LaVay, online and being somewhat intrigued. From what I could tell, LaVey seemed to be quite knowledgeable about human psychology, with a good understanding of man's innate desire to "belong", and I was hoping to find in `The Satanic Bible' a secular tome that cuts the babble and gets straight to the point on human nature. While this book does do that, to a certain degree, it would seem that LaVey's purported "genius" is something of an understatement. Rather than secular pearls of wisdom, `The Satanic Bible' presents a lot of what most of us now know to be common sense, presented in a veil of occultism and hyperbolic language.

Perhaps, in 1960s America, the contents of this book were somewhat controversial, but here and now, if you take away the "Satanic" language, I'd be surprised if anybody under the age of 60 would find any of it especially shocking. The philosophy LaVey espouses is one of pure hedonism, with Satan being a fitting archetype for our animal natures, and the Abrahamic God representing repression and rigid conformity. In this book he "prophesises" an "age of Satan", where people will reject mainstream religion and embrace hedonism. If you substitute the flowery language, you'll find that this is pretty much exactly what's going on in the world today, and the reasons for his sensationalistic hatred of mainstream religion (particularly Christianity) are pretty much the norm among secularists, with the views of Dawkins, Hitchens et al being far more inflammatory about religion than LaVey is here. The most controversial aspect of the book is its embrace of a Randian social Darwinian ethos (Ayn Rand, according to the introduction, being one of LaVey's major philosophical influences), whereby the strong should take what they want and despise the weak. Again, this kind of attitude isn't anything particularly new or shocking in this day and age.

The second half changes direction, somewhat confusingly shedding its atheistic character in favour of some kind of watered down magical grimoire. I find this confusing because, as other reviewers have pointed out, this kind of language is in stark opposition to the rational atheism of the first half of the book. I get the impression that all of this is psychodrama designed to induce catharsis, with Satan and the various demons mentioned seen as archetypes, but I'm not so sure, especially as many LaVeyan Church of Satan members today take this magical/occult aspect of The Satanic Bible seriously. If this is, indeed, symbolic psychodrama, then I can't comment on how useful it might be, as I haven't actually practiced any of these techniques myself. I find it interesting that so much of it involves an embrace of female sexuality, either to create arousal amongst the participating men and thereby enhancing the levels of excitement during the rituals, or as a "magical" force for solitary witches to get what they want. However, like a Muslim man on a Dubai beach wearing nothing but Speedos, and showing off his perfectly formed six-pack while expecting his wife to cover up in a burqini, LaVey seems to think that only women are capable of arousing sexual feelings. This leads me to believe that, despite LaVey's posturing about being "different" to other reigions, Satanism is still just a man-made religion projecting a patriarchal worldview.
0Comment| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 June 2011
The Satanic Bible is the book that turned the quasi-religious, up-its-own-backside, mainstream, Popular Occult world completely on its head - unveiling the entire edifice as simply another form of Christianity.

Before Anton Szandor LaVey unleashed this volume (and his Church of Satan) upon the world, Occultism meant "White" Witchcraft cum New Age otherworldniness cum Hippie spiritual (drug-induced) idealism. Occult text books followed such an identical, "safe" template that each one could very well have been written by the same person, with every self-ordained "White" Witchcraft writer repeatedly warning readers about practising "Black" Magic, and to stay clear of the "Left Hand Path" of Devil Worship. The Satanists who were said to belong in this phantom zone were described as totally Evil, monstrous persons, who led heinous, depraved lifestyles, desecrated Christian cemeteries and sacrificed children and animals to the Devil. The only problem for the self-righteous "White" esoteric orthodoxy was that these ghastly Satanists did not, in fact, exist in the real world: The invention of a thoroughly evil path of Occultism was (and remains) a rather pathetic attempt by self-proclaimed "White" Witches to gain social acceptance & respectability.

LaVey wrote his Satanic Bible to serve two vital functions: 1)His book was not intended to seduce or "convert" people to Satanism - but to "click" with those who had already been thinking and acting in accordance with the prescription. 2)LaVey decided it was high time that people were informed that 99.99% of what was termed "Occultism" was quasi-Christian, metaphysical balderdash, being the first Magician to write down what every genuine Magus and Occultist already knew: that there was NO "Black" or "White" Magic; no Tolkienesque "Eternal Battle" between Light & Darkness; no absolute "Good" & "Evil" opposites. All of these things were purely religious,Christian concepts which Popular Occultism had unceremoniously plundered from the sphere of Theology, adding them to what was loosely termed "Occult Lore".

The Satanic Bible remains the first, genuine Occult tome to outline a system of Ritual Magic that undeniably works. LaVey's system of Satanic Rituals, designed not only for the Conjuration of Compassion & Lust, but also for Destruction, causes as much consternation now as it did when it first was published. But this remains one of the book's main points: The LaVey system is real Occultism - stripped of its age-old Christian philosophical veneer; devoid of "divine rewards & punishments". Read the Satanic Bible and learn that Anton LaVey's Satan is beyond "Good" & "Evil" - even beyond the Christian concepts of God and Devil. Let Objectivity and Intelligence be your guides.

30 years after its publication, the Satanic Bible still stands as a formidable, dynamic challenge that will NOT be ignored: both to all forms of life-denying organized religion and to the persisting, escapist, metaphysical mess that is mainstream, Popular Occultism. The book still, therefore, has the ability to offend all those who wish to stay imprisoned within the constraints of a Mainstream Occult labyrinth, which remains completely unable to disentangle itself from from the arbitrary morals, ethics and values of the Christian faith.

Afraid of completely and utterly (to say nothing of Atheistically) empowering yourself to the utmost degree and recognizing yourself as the God/Goddess you truly are? Wary of utilizing proven, powerful, real Magic for the guilt-free fulfilment of all of your desires in this, the Land of The Living? Unwilling to embrace Satan and His Demons as your friends, comrades, Brothers & Sisters? Frightened by Shadows? Frightened by your SELF? Then this book is NOT for you.

Hail Satan!
on 5 August 2004
If I could get away from rating this book, then I would. I feel very sorry for those who find comfort, security, intelligence, or even a faith structure in this toilet tissue of self-indulgence, selfishness, egotism, and disregard for community/world responsibility.
If LeVay delusional rantings are to be taken seriously the logical conclusion to this book is chaos, the destruction of morality, dignity, respect, self, and creation.
The book is an insult to both academia (he ought be stripped of his Phd), and humanity.
44 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse