Customer reviews

on 18 March 2007
The previous reviewer is obviously mistaking this book for something else. I had the Rainy Day book 30 years ago when I was 5 and it was the same black and white colouring-in format as it is today. My cousin and I both had a copy and whenever we were together we would spend hours colouring in all the pages, creating villages of paper houses, dressing the characters in their paper clothes, making bookmarks etc. We both reminiscing about it the other day and I typed it into Amazon just in the faint hope of finding it - and was so happy to see it was still available. I ordered two copies - one for my daughter and one for my cousin's children!!

All you need is this book and a large packet of felt-tip pens to have a happy child for hours if not days.

Simple, good clean fun.
on 27 February 2009
My parents gave me this book one Christmas about 30 years ago and I loved it so much that I never coloured or cut any thing out of it, I traced everything onto plain paper so my book would never be spoiled.

Over the years I occasionally reminisced about the book and tried desperately to get another copy (mine had long since been banished to the charity shop by my mother (grrr!!!!) when I moved to Canada.

When it was published again I was so thrilled I pre-ordered two copies... and I don't even have any children!

A fantastic book bursting with charming little characters to colour and cut out and all kinds of paper buildings to colour in and model your own adorable little village from. Mr. Scarry has a wonderful imagination and it's lovely to see something so purely and magically childish brought back to the bookshelves.
on 26 January 2006
Extremely disappointing. I bought that same book for my daughter about 29 years ago and we had so much fun together doing the past-times. It was her favourite. I was hoping to have the same experiences with my little grandson. However, when the book arrived it was completely in black and white (for the child to colour in). I was expecting the lovely, brightly coloured version of the Richard Scarry cartoon characters. Is this not available any more?
22 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 October 2012
My friend bought this for me, partly as a joke, after I discovered my original 1990 publication book which had been 'coloured in' in true 4 year old style. I have since coloured in the updated version as a procrastination! Even at 21, I still love colouring this book in - beats staring at a laptop! However, since I've finished colouring and there is no more to do, I was hoping to be able to buy another one, but I REFUSE to pay over £1,200 for one!!!! Why the ridiculas price increase? It must have been below £10 when it was bought. How frustrating.

Overall though, a fantastic activity and colouring book for ages 2 to, well... 22 as it would appear!
on 9 February 2009
This is a brilliant activity book for children aged between 3 and 10. Lots of things to do and make featuring all the quirky and humourous characters from the Richard Scarry books. I recently gave four of my grandchildren this book plus a pencil case with felt tips, scissors, cellotape. glue etc. India,aged 6, said to her parents it was her best christmas present. My own 'children' loved them and it gives a lovely feeling of continuity to see your young enjoying things you loved too. Its also a good book to give children in hospital, or travelling. But I think it would be a frustrating exercise if you did not give the pens etc too.
on 31 July 2008
I can remember being bought this book when I was young and I had so much fun with it!!

I was delighted to see that I could buy it over 20 years later for my son.

The book has not changed at all - there is loads to cut out, stick, colour and make!! There are valentines cards, a small town to make, decorations - the list goes on!!

If you had this book, buy it for your children!! They will love it as much as you did!!
on 11 January 2011
I had this book when I was a child in the 70s and it kept me entertained for a full year, every wet day, sick day and dull Sunday I would make little cars and houses for Huckle and Lowly, christmas chains, easter cards, calendars. And now my children love it as well, I would recommend this book to anyone who loves cutting and sticking, it is as amazing now as it was 30 years ago.
on 8 April 2007
I was given this book as a child many years ago for christmas and flicking through it brought back memories.

All the images are exactly the same as I remembered. There are so many activities to keep a creative little one amused with some colours, some scissors and some sellotape.

...some very happy rainy days!
on 23 April 2015
Super fast delivery. Pleased with book. Brought back lots of childhood memories going through it again.
on 7 August 1999
A wonderful book I have been entertained with by my mother on a snowy day. I was when I was 4 years old and though I am now 18 I still remember each page of it with good memories. Do yourself and your children a favor and have good fun together