on 29 October 2016
This book is absolutely wonderful. I went into this not really knowing what to expect but knowing that I wanted to try out another graphic novel after a successful first experience a few months ago. What I did not expect was the be completely blown away! What a treat this book is.

Persepolis provides a very rare insight into the world of life in the Middle East over a number of years. Most importantly, Marjane Satrapi shows us the reality of being a woman growing up in the Middle East under such a strict regime. Her passionate outlook on life really inspired me throughout all the tales she told in this book. From her battles with depression, the sexual experiences she had which were frowned upon by her friends as well as society, her outspoken approach to religion and the beautiful relationship with her family, particularly her father. This was a real page turner and came with beautiful images which really worked well with the story Satrapi was telling.

Satrapi's narration was powerful to the point where I completely channelled her emotions with her. I felt saddened, alone, excited, frustrated, happy and angry. Those are just an overview of the emotions you will feel whilst reading this wonderful story. This is a book that everyone should have to read at some point in their lives. So important and I feel thankful that Satrapi has shared her story with us. Incredible.
on 14 May 2017
Got mixed feelings about this. I think having all the books in one makes it almost too long. The stories are amazing first hand accounts but I read the first 2 on their own and actually enjoyed them more. But as I say the insight into what it was like for girls and the just the war in general makes an incredibly powerful and moving story. How she manages to also be funny is part of the magic.
on 12 August 2016
I stumbled upon this book completely by accident, and I'm certainly glad that I did! The style of narration is quirky and intriguing, and the story is fascinating. Surprisingly humorous too.Definitely recommend picking it up!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 April 2014
I have reviewed quite a few graphic novels and I rarely give them 5 stars. This is one that would appeal to people who are not normally interested in the genre. It is a clever combination of stylish comic book and a serious discussion of the Iranian revolution. The film is also good but it would be a shame if it overshadowed the book
on 2 May 2017
I loved this graphic novel! It is excellently done and considers a time and a place that most of us don't know about and easily make assumptions about. It was eye opening and reflective!
on 12 March 2017
Possibly my favourite movie, I finally read this magnificent book with even more tales from Marjane's extraordinary childhood. Thank goodness this woman survived and thrived to write and draw this masterpiece. I was moved so many times. The humanity. Thank you.
on 27 March 2017
This is a complicated story, a delight to get sucked in.
on 26 June 2017
great birthday present
on 2 March 2017
Good condition copy as promised. A neohistorical perspective from the viewpoint of a typically self-centred adolescent growing up in upper middle class Tehran in the late 20th century. Whilst autobiographical, the cartoon narrative spans the child to young adult stages and doesn't seek to hide the often less-than-appropriate actions and thoughts of a young girl. Marjane's seemingly unusual but rather privileged early life-journey is grounded in the unfolding national historical tragedy of Iran. There are many parallels in this refreshingly honest non-fiction pictorial novel for children growing up in difficult circumstances and possible reassurance for parents troubled by the complexities of raising children in today's seemingly challenging world.
on 26 April 2017
Persepolis is a must-read graphic novel, which tells the story of Marjane's childhood growing up in Tehran during the Islamic revolution. It is a fascinating and shocking tale, as she faces the challenges of growing up in a country in turmoil, being sent far away from home at a young age, on top of the regular struggles of adolescence. Persepolis is a remarkably honest account of a rather remarkable life.

It is a truly eye-opening account of a life so different to my own. Marjane's style is very candid and self-deprecating, which makes her character very accessible. I did of course read the English translation, so I can't say much about her original writing, but the English version of the complete Persepolis is very well-written and easy to read. Don't be put off by the fact that it is a graphic novel; there is still a large amount of text and the images really complement the story.

The artwork is simple and accessible, while every part of the story feels honest and relevant - there is no divergence into confusing history lessons or incomprehensible metaphors about thoughts and feelings that many graphic memoirs seem to have. Instead, the story is quite straightforward and comes across as completely true and believable, even to someone who has never experienced the things Marjane had to go through.