on 22 July 2004
...help you understand your self, or help you understand a suicidal person you care about.
Although medical professionals may read it, it is a book for anyone and easy to comprehend and feel emotional about.
I know a lot about suicide. It's a subject I have studied for all the wrong reasons since I was a kid. It nearly killed me.
I first read Dr K.R.Jamison's book when I was extremely ill, and it made me feel understood. It opened my eyes about some of my depressed thinking, just long enough to hesitate and live. It also brought home to me, the consequences of taking my life. It didn't always stop me trying to kill myself, but it mostly did. It certainly put me off some of the more gruesome ways to end life.
This book covers dark topics, it has to. It is difficult to read about peoples' pain, and frightening for all. But the book itself reads easily and informs absolutely. I recommend it highly.
on 17 February 2001
Kay Redfield Jamison's own experiences with bipolar disorder and attempted suicide have led her to this excellent, intelligent and compassionate study of a normally taboo subject. Written in a very literate way with great poetry, don't be put off by the subject. Get a hard dose of reality written in a gripping and profound style. Wow.
on 9 March 2002
I first started to read this book whilst in the middle of a depressive episode, it was not a good idea. The book is quite hard to focus on unless you are 100%.
Having said that once I was better, I found the book sensative, informative and knowledgable. Unlike other book's it provide's clear and concise statistical data on the risk's of suicide, and accounts of those who have survived a suicide attempt and those who have died as a result. The types and methods used, and phsyco-analytical information.
The book examines the suicidal mind, and provides history showing that this is not a modern disease. No stone is left unturned.
For those who have survided a suicide attempt themselve's, you will find your self laughing, weeping and empathising as only a true surviour could.
To learn your own mind is a virtue - I would highly recomend this book - especially to all suicide survivours.
on 20 June 2014
i have been in the place that many of the case studies have been, it can be an easy read depending on your mood, i have found it really helpful in understanding my feelings and the 3 ppl i know who have committed suicide who were very close to me, yes it tends to look at the schizophrenic and bipolar and the people i know had bpd but it still helped
on 21 October 1999
Once again Doctor J. has written something that speaks straight to my heart. Iam a manic depressive and been tempted by suicide many times but still I never realized that my illness was behind most of the terrible suicides of mostly young people. Depression is a true killer much worse than Aids and yet a lot more money goes to Aids research than to depression research. This book should be a wake-up call to all not just to medical people but also to those who decide where our tax money goes . Thank you doctor Kay , once again.
on 15 June 2001
Full of informatiom, everything you need to know about Manic Depression. Easy reading. Very impressed with this book.
on 14 December 2010
An incredible read. Heartbreaking stories and the pain and suffering of the sufferers was palpable. A great insight into the lives of people suffering with mental illness, a must for all counsellors.
on 18 June 2014
I keep reccomending this book to people by telling them "I read this FANTASTIC book about suicide!" which makes them look at me suspiciously.

But it is. It is a fantastic book, and it manages to be both factual, relying on hard data and good research findings, and completely heartbreaking, as any book about suicide should be. It should be required reading for anybody involved in mental health, as well as anybody who has even felt suicidal. It is matter of fact, and passionate about suicide prevention, and humane. It is also a harrowing read, but you will come out of it a better and more informed person.
on 6 October 2014
Not read yet, on one of her other books. She's an amazing writer/inspiration!
on 19 June 2014
A great read. Accurate product description. Very pleased overall.