on 16 September 2013
Well I'll start with the good stuff first. There were some very good tips in this book - nothing hugely ground-breaking but it was a nice read and it makes you more aware of what you're stuffing in your face. It's advice that you already know but don't bother to adhere to, so the book is a good reminder and confirmation that, if you fail to do these things, you will indeed end up like a heifer. I hate exercise so was pleased you don't need to sweat your butt off (just move around a bit more and climb some stairs) but I've tried just limiting myself to one square of top-notch chocolate a day before and that was a complete failure so now I simply don't buy any at all!

The downside to the book is that she is really self-satisfied. At first it's just here and there but by the end of the book you're just skim-reading over the smugness and starting to hate her just a little bit. It does feel like we're all getting a sound ticking off and that French women are simply amazing and the rest of us are undisciplined fatties. The little French sayings here and there were also delightful at first but you tire of them pretty quickly.

So overall, a sweet little book - not earth-shattering, but good as a reminder to get you back on track and developing better habits. However it is also irritatingly self-satisfied and smug in parts.
14 people found this helpful
on 8 August 2013
I don't have a massive amount of weight to lose (I'm within the healthy range of BMI scale). However, I was fed up of being on the same diets and calorie counting. I bought this book and started reading it on Kindle a week and a half ago. I weighed and measured myself this morning and have lost 1.5kg and half an inch around my waist. I find this astounding as I really have't felt deprived in anyway and find it very healthy and sustainable. I literally just followed the principles in the book and am drinking more water, my plates of food are more colourful, my portions are smaller and I am eating chocolate!!! (small pieces of dark chocolate admittedly). The book is well written and has some lovely recipes. I would definitely recommend this.
7 people found this helpful
on 30 April 2018
I'm really sorry, but while the approach to eat is good and the book is funny, criticising people for buying food in supermarkets rather than the "day markets" when we work all day; assuming that if you don;t cook fresh everyday the nutritional value of the food is out of the window (there is nutritionally speaking, anything wrong with cooking and freezing good meals...) and does not even touch on the fact that most cases loosing weight is more related to the relation that people has with food than eating from the market and going shopping everyday....
Entertaining but unrealistic!
on 11 November 2016
This is the sort of book where you don't really want anyone to see the title because they'll think you're an idiot. But actually I LOVED it. She's so fab! And sensible. And just like, eat nice food, not a problem, just enjoy it and don't eat 400 Mars bars when you're feeling sad and you'll be fine
2 people found this helpful
on 19 November 2017
Some really good advice and some good recipes that are worked into the story and provide seasonal options. An excellent handbook for anyone wanting to start living a more healthy lifestyle without limiting themselves too much. Its all about eating well and not over indulging too often, but nothing is off limits.
on 17 September 2015
Started this book whilst on holiday at the French Run club med resort. Observed the French Woman eating and decided to follow them and this philosophy. OMG is amazing. Lost weight whilst away and loving loving loving my food now. This is NOT aa on enviously diet book.. It's a way of life. Can't say I love the recipes, but the well explained concept of fantastic.
One person found this helpful
on 9 December 2017
Recipes are good. It’s good for a giggle, but unfortunately it isn’t going to be related for everyone.
One person found this helpful
on 8 March 2014
I would recommend this book to all women, most of us need this sort of reminder/help to fine tune our lives at some point. A wonderful reminder of what it means to be living a balanced life. I will certainly be buying a copy for my daughter, who I have to say is better at allowing the pleasure of food into her life and making sure that enjoyment of living holds great importance.
on 27 May 2018
Really interesting content. Getting some great ideas.
on 1 September 2017
The book is a bit boring, but the system works!!!