Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 June 2001
I've read every available account of project Apollo and I think this is by far the best. Collins is a natural story teller and there's little eveidence of a co-author spoiling the text. Collins self-affacing humour and modesty make this a delight to read. Not only was he a Gemini and Apollo pilot, but he was instrumental in the designing of the pressure suit used for space and moon walks and he gives interesting accounts of this (including the discovery of his own claustraphobia-not a most desireable attribute for an astronaut!). My only disappointment was that Collins retired after being CMP on Apollo 11. He deserved a Lunar Landing and his account would have been electrifying.
I also unreservedly recommend this book-the hardback is especially nice!
on 6 May 2001
This is the most entertaining and illuminating account of man's early exploration of space that I have read. Collins tells the story in a witty and often poignant way and is not afraid to provide the reader with a 'warts and all' approach to some of the most momentous events of the 20th century. It will be of interest to both students of the subject as well as those who were not born when man first walked upon the moon. I recommend it without reservation.
on 26 January 2000
Carrying The Fire is a personal story by the 'third man' of Apollo 11. Michael Collins is often sadly sidelined in many accounts of mankind's greatest adventure. But as command module pilot of Apollo 11 his job was the equal of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin's.
Collin's is clearly a natural writer and his account of what it is like to be the only member of humanity to be totally alone is both informative and poignant. During the mission there was little time for him to reflect on the acheivement and significance of Apollo 11, but his retrospective view gives the reader a unique insight into the enormity of the undertaking. Collins' candid comments on his training and preparation for the mission show us at this thirty year remove, just how pioneering the whole of Project Apollo really was. These men were explorers as well as trained astronauts and Michael Collins was fully aware of this.
One particular passage stays in the memory - Collins knew that if anything went wrong on the lunar surface he had to be prepared to come back alone. As he says "I would have had to leave my crewmates to die on the Moon, whilst I flew home to safety. I would have been a marked man for the rest of my life"
As a long time fan of all thing 'spacey' I think Carrying The Fire is perhaps the most personal book I have read by any of the twenty four men who amazed and thrilled us all by journeying to the Moon.
on 6 February 2012
I am fascinated by the whole Apollo program. It is hard to sometimes to break away from the test pilot, jet jock who becomes a space man. This book gives us Collins as a man. Yes the importance of all the hardware is still there but it does not get in the way of understanding the man. On one occasion he is asked to test a new arrest mechanism for jets. He fires up the jet - heads down the runway at the specified speed (test pilot attention to detail) and then heads off into the desert in a cloud of dust - the arrest wire did not engage! Why? He forgot to drop the hook! Classic. He is also very frank about the other astronauts in the programme - he even apologises when he has something negative to say. Collins a man grounded and comfortable in his own shoes. A great read.
on 13 March 2006
The last book I read about the Apollo astronauts was the rather awful Rocketman (about Pete Conrad, commander of Apollo 12)so it was with a certain trepidation that I began this 500 page book. The first great advantage is that this has been written by Michael Collins himself and not by a Hollywood scriptwriter. His style is very accessible and you get a real feel for the man as he comes across as being tremendously self effacing and modest. He talks about his feelings and pulls no punches when talking about his colleagues, though he doesn't gossip he's merely honest. A most refreshing read which is highly recommended.
on 7 August 2014
I don't think I've ever had much interest in reading an autobiography before, but this book I really, really enjoyed. I found myself constantly telling my friends things I'd learnt from this book like "Did you know that astronauts get very dehydrated in space.. it's because.." or "did you know that when in space, they make their ship rotate very slowly so that neither side gets too hot in the sun?.. yep, just like a spit roast!". I think I will definitely read another astronaut autobiography, but I doubt anyone's will match this.

If you're interested in NASA's early days and space exploration in general, you should definitely read this book, because Collins makes it very clear how the space program worked, and how it was planned-out. He gives lots of technical detail on space flight in general: enough to keep a physicist happy (myself) but not too much to alienate a layman.

The book starts off describing his air force career, and how he tries very hard to become a test pilot. He then explains his career as a test pilot. He then explains his reactions to NASA announcing that they are hiring, and describes the application process (and his second). When he finally becomes an astronaut, he begins talking in more detail about technical and personal things. He talks mainly about the two flights which he flew: Gemini 10 (jam-packed with experiments, but mainly concluded that the Van Allen belt wasn't as radioactive as once thought) and Apollo 11 (the flight to land on the moon).

After coming away from this book, I feel like I understand and admire Collins. I was quite surprised by how little Collins talks of his wife and children, and how little he talks of politics (he says he was kind of oblivious to what was going on in the real world).. but it seems that at the time, he just very focussed on his work, and he says that when he was preparing for Apollo 11 he knew it would be his final flight whether they landed on the moon or not, simply because he'd burnt himself out and he felt like it was only downhill from here. Whilst Collins will come across as a bit sexist (the astronauts seem to like pin-up girls), he also comes across as a very reasonable person: he always tries to see a dispute from both sides, and there are very few things he complains about without saying that he realised why the person was acting like that (with the exception of medics). He says he hated being hounded by journalists and autograph-seekers, but confesses that american citizens pay his salary, so they have a right. I also really admire that after Apollo 11, the three astronauts refused to make a lot of money by selling-out, and switched to other career paths instead.

I like Collins' philosophy that the human is a machine, and if machines aren't regularly fired-up, used and maintained, they rust and people forget how to drive them properly. It makes me remember when I've been more active (mentally and physically) that I felt much more 'alive' than I do now. I realise I've been running at 5% capacity, when I could be running at 15%.
on 29 April 2006
Michael Collins was probably atypical in the astronaut fratenity and that's reflected in this book. It's by far the best book I've read by an astronaut. Despite that fact that it was written over thirty years ago, it has a very modern and candid feel to it and Collins demonstrates a level of self-awareness not visibly shared by many of his peers.

The level of technical detail given is just right and he gives a very good impression of the high workload and preoccupations of crews as they approached a flight. The level of risk and fragility of the whole Apollo programme is also conveyed.

It's a shame for all that Collins didn't walk on the moon!
on 8 July 2006
I first read this in 1976 and a lot of it went over my head. Now coming back to it after 30 years I find it without doubt the best astronaut autobiography around. As others have said, his articulate writing, his ability to render complex technology and science readable, and, most of all, his self-effacing wit and humour make this the best book on being an astronaut that you can buy.
on 12 April 2016
A very enjoyable read. Laugh-out-loud funny in places. Written in a very accessible style, technical aspects expressed in easily understandable terms. Enlightening and absorbing. Some very good photographs. A must read for anyone with even the slightest interest in the golden age of space exploration. Thank you Mr Collins!
on 27 July 2015
The best of the Apollo biographies I've read, Mike Collins writes with honesty, humour and humility. He is clearly deeply knowlegeable and not just about the Space Program. No self-obsessed 'Jock' as too many of his colleagues come across; I've no doubt he'd make the perfect dinner guest, it's such a shame I'll never have the priviledge.
I can't recommend this book enough.