Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 March 1999
Since I love snow and obviously live in an area where it is a big deal if it does, I was immediately drawn to open the cover of this beautifully illustrated book. I love the simplicity of words and unique fun illustrations. It reads like how a child would think and that's what makes it so beautiful. Since it is not cluttered with too many words, the story allows the reader and the person being read to, to think and use their own thoughts and imagination. The storyline is about a boy's hope and faith that one snowflake will lead to two, and more, despite the unbelieving and cynical opinions of adults who cross his path. I can actually put myself in his shoes and jump right in those pages. I hope my children will grow to love this book like I do. It has become one of my personal treasures.
on 3 November 2011
Amazing author! I first bought The Moon in my Room by Uri Shulevitz and was blown away by his simplistic yet expressive and enchanting way of writing and ability to capture the child's imagination. His writing reminds me a little of the literary style associated with 'Where the wild things are'. Beautiful quirky illustrations combined with simple but clever writing equals an intelligent, magical and touching experience for both children and adults alike. I was so impressed and my son loved it so much (now a firm favourite) that I went on to buy this, The Snow and The Treasure... all equally brilliant! They're the kind of books you would always remember from your childhood and just as important the subtle morals and messages behind them. Uri Shulevitz is a genius and it's no wonder he's won numerous literary awards over the years. Truly captivating and effortlessly magical. Can't wait to seek out more. FIRST CLASS CHILDREN'S LITERATURE.
on 15 February 1999
Disarmingly simple text and well drawn illustrations. This is an excellent book to read and talk about with young children.
on 20 March 2014
A really elegant little book. The illustrations bear the weight of the book as the text is spare but they do this well. The excitement of the child waiting for that first snowflake and then the anticipation as the snow increases and thickens is so true and children readily relate to it.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 January 1999
I read this book at the preschool I work at. With beautiful illustrations and simple words, it shows the reader that one little snowflake can certainly turn into a snowstorm. The children loved it. It demonstrated the "faith like a child" we all wish we still had.
on 5 December 1998
This book envelops the reader and the simplicity is superb to any children's book I have ever read. It is my boyfriend's favorite book, and he is 18 years old! Keep up the beautiful work, Uri.
on 2 January 2013
Since it was a prize winner I expected more. There was an american spelling of a word and very little content.
on 2 October 2015