Customer reviews

on 13 February 2010
These are little but vivid tales narrated by a young Jewish boy growing up at the beginning of the twentieth century in Poland. I bought the book initially because of the Roman Vishniac photographs but having read it I have since bought two more copies to give as presents! This was the first Isaac Bashevis Singer book that I had read and it inspired me to read more - unfortunately I didn't like the others that I tried but this book is a gem and although it won an award for children's literature I would say it is, certainly, equally a book for adults.
on 7 July 2015
Written for children it might have been, but it's a wonderful read for adults too; splendidly evocative, taking the reader into a different time and place, and simply and beautifully written - at least in the translation.

I'd recommend all of Singer's books - but begin with the short stories, say "A Friend of Kafka".
on 10 October 2013
Somebody borrowed (and kept) my old exemplar, so I had to get a new one! Read it already many times and will read it again.
on 9 July 2013
A Day of Pleasure - I have not read this book yet. It is one that I will dip into, as I do with many of IBS's short stories. I really enjoy the storytelling of IBS and the historic era that he writes about. He was a great storyteller.