Customer reviews

on 16 August 2016
Bought this for holiday reading, having seen it cited as one of the best books on boxing. The Sweet Science is written in the prose of a skilled writer and the content is that of someone with very keen insight on the intricacies of the noble art.

Liebling brings New York of the 1950s to life superbly - the bars, taxi rides and, of course, the atmosphere at fight nights are all captured vividly. The author also has the gift of making interesting characters out of lesser-known boxers as well as referees and people he happens upon so even chapters that aren't about the Ray Robinsons or Marcianos are engrossing.

I was a little disappointed with the quality of the print but it was something that was quickly rendered irrelevant due to the excellent writing. I cannot recommend this enough due to its appeal on two levels; being an excellent work of literature and giving an insight into the past glories of boxing
on 23 February 2017
Sports Illustrated voted this the best SPORTS book ever written, not just boxing. I am not about to argue. My only regret is that it ends in the mid-Marciano era. Liebling is a first-class writer.
on 8 March 2017
Arrive on time. Loved as a gift by a boxer (not read by me, so five stars for quality of item and service and not content)
on 4 January 2018
Excellent
on 21 April 2015
Amazing book - genuine classic in this genre. Highly recommended.
on 31 July 2012
From the very first page you'll be entranced by Liebling's easy, laconic style and his amusing references to the rich history of Victorian prize-fighting.

I enjoyed the book so much that, once I'd read about half way, I started to worry that it was going to end at some point.

A superb read. I can't recommend it highly enough.
on 19 February 2014
I know I am meant to say that Liebling is a genius, blah, blah, blah and that if I dont its just because im uneducated in his literally style (which may well be true!) but I found this book a bit heavy going. The stories are on the whole very entertaining and I love some of the references to the little known characters around the fighters. However at times the style of writing appears a little dated and heavy going. A bit like a film that you have been told is GREAT, that you watch, enjoy, but have no desire to watch again.
on 20 February 2010
Liebling's essays in his book The Sweet Science (and also in A Neutral Corner) are books I can read over and over. When I found The Sweet Science in audio-book on Amazon, I knew I had to have it. It was well worth the purchase price. I am still listening to it and know I will always enjoy it. It is well read, word for word, and is something I would recommend to all fight fans, and indeed to all lovers of good writing. It is value for money, seven discs lasting 8 1/2 hours. What are you waiting for!!
John Jarrett
on 29 October 2015
As a long-time collector of boxing literature and anthologies (and having had this book for quite a few years now), the most remarkable thing I can still say about 'The Sweet Science' (and 'A Neutral Corner') is that this breadth and quality of writing is from just one author. Fantastic, wish there were more like it, worth it for 'Ahab and Nemesis' alone.
on 12 September 2013
it was okay there was nothing new in the book they keep rehashing the old story of LaMotta v Fox is that the only fight that was fixed it is the only one we hear about as i said nothing new