Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 1 May 2017
Divine by mistake is about a an English high school teacher Shannon Parker who goes to an antiques fair and ends up leaving with an urn that has her image painted on it. On her way home so has a car accident. When she wakes up she discovered she is in another world. The people mirror her friends and family but here she is a goddess and about to be handfasted to a man she's never met. With a great evil ready to descend on her new home Shannon Parker must decide where to become The woman who put her here and stole her life or own up and take the consequences.

I love this book it is funny and full of amazing places and characters. Shannon it's such a likeable character, I could relate to a lot of her feelings and mannerisms.
The story is a great mix of minders lanuage and what feels almost Roman in someways. The author brings to life a world you can easily get lost in and the darker elements are at times hard to read.

Over all I really enjoyed this book and will be reading the rest of the series.
5 stars
on 14 April 2017
I know I'm in the minority here, but I found this book so awful I couldn't even finish it, it was that bad. The book overall sounded fantastic but it was poorly written and executed. It confusing at best, like things not being explained properly. The main character acted more like a 12 year old than 35 year old English teacher and was very very unlikable and unrealistic. I also thought it was very difficult to get into and didn't hold my attention for very long
on 11 March 2017
An excellent 4stars ,I really enjoyed this book . The characters were well written and the story was very good.The main characters were engaging and there was a fabulous cast of side characters , I look forward to reading more of this series.
on 1 May 2017
I lived the book the first time I bought it but the book it's self actually fell apart so I bought it here to read it again and I loved it. There is a wonderful story line and I can't wait to 're read the next books
on 3 January 2012
Love this series. It starts a little slow in the first couple of chapters, but please persevere it is a fab book. Once Shannon enters Partholon and discovers a new life the book completely gripped me and I couldn't put it down. If only ClanFintan was real! Great read as are the other two in this series! :)
on 25 May 2017
Loved loved loved this book great storyline had me enthralled from the start brilliant to the end can't wait to read all the rest
on 2 October 2012
I love PC Cast as an author. Her works are addictive, am only gutted I didn't buy the whole series when they were this cheap. If you like this also check out her Goddess Summoning series and House of Night, though the latter for a younger audience.
...I can only say buy it, have your funnybones well-oiled, set back and ENJOY!!!!
This is a book that might easly fall through the cracks for I don't think they have invented the perfect catagory for it. PLEASE don't let the stop you. This is one of the Best books I have ever read.
Shannon Parker, 35 year old School teacher from Oklahoma buys an ancient Celtic death vase, and suddenly her life is not the same - actually, is NOT her life. She awakens in a strange fantasy life where ancient Celtic mythology is very much real. Rhinnanon the High Priest of the Goddess Epona, has traded places with Shannon. And this presents her with all sorts of problems. Like having to fill the shoes of someone no so nice, like finding her people under the threat of the vampire race of Formorians - and most perplexing, she is wed to a cenatur!!!!
Okay, all that is fine and thrilling premise, but is it Shannon's first person overview of all that is happening to her that makes this more than fantasy, more than romance. It is down right, belly-laughing funny the WHOLE Way!!!
I will not spoil the rest of the story, for it is there for you to thoroughly enjoy.
PC Cast...you are brilliant!!!!!!
WISE WRITERS AND READERS Book of the Month for April 2002
on 23 February 2010
My sister bought this book for me as she knows how much I love fantasy books, and a few pages in I was a little unsure of it and where it was going, however after some perseverance, I couldn't put the book down. It was witty, adventurous, romantic and contains action scenes of war. So everything a good book needs. I would recommend this book for older teens and adults due to some of the sexual scenes, which are mild compared to some fantasy novels, but there is a warning on the back of the book so thought id point that out.

So onto the plot....Shannon parker is a school teacher from oklahoma, in the school holidays she drives to an auction to see if she can find any special items. At the auction she comes across a ceramic pot which a picture inscribed upon it, the picture is of a red headed woman looking out, palm raised which a star shaped scar on her hand. The picture has an uncanny resemblance to Shannon who even has a star shaped scar on her hand....although her hair is very slightly shorter. As she stands there, nothing else matters in the room except the pot and why does she feel so hot all of a sudden, she has to own the pot. So when the bidding begins she bids a max $200 but unfortunately loses out. The winner of the pot examines it and finds a "crack" so the item is re-auctioned and Shannon is now the owner of this pot. She begins er drive home, pot in tow but finds herself caught in a terrible storm, the suddenly the pot is glowing brighter and brighter and her mustang veers off the road.

When Shannon awakes she finds herself in another world, the world of Parthalon, however she isn't Shannon anymore she is Lady Rhiannon...beloved of Epona/ Goddess incarnate and she lives in a temple with servants and people who adore her. Her main servant is Alana, who for some reason looks exactly like shannon's best friend suzanna back in okie. Alana knows that Shannon isnt Rhiannon but explains to her that she needs to pretend that she is, there are bigger things at stake. And right now Shannon is about to be married to Clanfintan.....a high shaman and centaur (half man half horse) . Shannon goes ahead with the ceremony to keep to her duty, but duty soon turns to love and affection for Clanfintan. As weird as it sounds falling for a half man/half horse.....he is able to shapeshift into a man for the sexual scenes (thank goddess).

The servants start to notice a difference in lady rhiannon, she is not the b**** that she once was and she doesnt sleep around like she used to, so they begin to trust her more and fear her less.

So Shannon becomes Rhea....she has vivid premonitions brought to her by the goddess Epona, and is able to communicate with her beautiful horse Epi. Epona takes her on a journey in her sleep where there is a great evil they must fight. These bat like creatures known as fomorians have been ripping humans to shreds with there huge claws and drinking there blood like vampires, and impregnating the women. Rhea must stop them by gathering and army but if all this wasn't enough there is also a breakout of small pox to contend with.

will rhea, so new to this world rise to the challenge or will she find a way to get back to her real ife in oklahoma?????
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 April 2016
When I first learned there was a paranormal romance series that involved centaurs, I was a little sceptical and a little intrigued. Over the years I have read paranormal romance books that involve all sorts of mythical beats, all of whom have had the vital bits of human anatomy needed for spicy romance books. I've even read about about a minotaur--it wasn't a paranormal romance novel, but he had fantasies and the compatible equipment to carry them out.

But a man's torso on a horse's body ... I just couldn't see how that would work. However I put the Divine series on my Goodreads wishlist and a friend answered my wish, getting me the set for my birthday.

Divine by Mistake is a very unique book. Written entirely in first person. I'll admit I was a bit overwhelmed at first as the main character, Shannon, rambled on with every word spoken and every thought thunk. However, not too far into the book I was surprised to find myself really enjoying her colourful outpourings. The story she takes the reader on is exciting, endearing, humorous and emotional. More than once I found myself welling up at the predicaments Shannon found herself in.

And I have to say, without spoilers, that the answer to woman and centaur coming together is tasteful, and "normal" thanks to the author's great imagination.

The story is a little gruesome in places and certainly not for the fainthearted. There are implications of rape, which are difficult to read. However to shy away from writing the uncomfortable is not an option.

I was completely consumed by the fantasy world created by P.C. Cast and I'm so happy I've got the whole set as I'll be moving straight onto book two.