on 18 June 2016
Well this started off really well and I was intrigued enough to buy the book. Unfortunately the more I read I was flipping pages through sheer boredom. There are much better free and kindle unlimited books out there to read. It was just plain and simply boring with no emotion felt for any of the characters. It has no action, the female lead is a bore and the male character you don't read enough about him to feel anything. There is no depth to any of the characters at all. The story is completely lost and is solely based on tests she has to pass to be able to help Henry out so he doesn't fade. You don't read about the tests we only hear her moaning about her passing them. You find out what the tests are right at the end when we read about the deception that everyone is involved in apart from her. What a farce ... very poorly delivered and excuted.......
on 12 October 2011
I am so intrigued by Greek myths that when I picked up The Goddess Test, I was excited to read about lots of gods and godly events and general excitement. Unfotunately, I was disappointed. This isn't to say I didn't like the book. I did, I really enjoyed it. But there could have been so much more!

I was expecting perilous quests and lots of action when it came to the tests. However, the tests Kate has to take may happen without her knowing, so the reader doesn't know about them either. Very few gods make an appearance too. Most of the book is just Kate spending time in the Henry's Manor, making friends, learning about the Greek myths, and spending time with Henry.

The book is quite short, and so Kate's time at the manor flies by, weeks, sometimes months going by with nothing major happening, but I would still liked ot have read more of the time Kate spends with her friends and Henry, seeing the friendships grow better. I would especially have liked more development of Kate and Henry's relationship. I just didn't find the feelings between them believeable. It all just happened too quick for me - although weeks were going by for Kate, it was only a few pages for me. I would have liked things to have been slower, and believed it.

I did enjoy it though, as I said, and with the ending, I think there is a lot of potential for this series to be really good. I think the parts that feel lacking to me just have to be put down to it being a first book in a series, and it's setting everything up. Goddess Interupted, the sequel, sounds brilliant, and I'm really looking forward to reading it! All in all, not a bad book.
I initially came across this book through amazon. I admit that I ummmed and ahhhhed a bit, and got the final shove when a very good friend (and bookworm) recommended it to me.
Having now finished it I'd wished I'd ummmed and ahhhhed a lot less and just read it so now I could know how it ends! I really enjoyed it and once I started I couldn't really bring myself to stop!

Before I go any further I should confess that I have a weakness for paranormal romance books containing ancient gods and myths. Therefore my opinion is somewhat biased... but only a little :p

Although Kate was the main character, my interest and attention was just as caught by Henry, and that was not entirely due to his looks (although I am only human!). He was indeed mysterious, charming and a gentleman but that wasn't it either. What really caught my attention was the strong theme of trust that he brought to the story.

Unlike most paranormal/romance YA that have an obviously strong love theme, Aimee Carter added and underlined the importance and vitality of trust, faith and the ability to believe in someone. It was soon clear to me that these were key themes, that were to go hand in hand with love if Kate was to become a goddess and Henry's bride.
I found refreshing how the possible relationship between Kate and Henry depended on so many variables such as the tests, trust, love and faith. It made it all seem that more magical and at the same time more realistic, because to create a relationship it takes just as many factors if not more.

The Goddess Test flowed well and swiftly as one event led to another. Although the pace slowed down and subsequently picked up again, depending on what was happening, I never felt like I wanted or could put it down.
The more I got into it the more twists there were. I confess that I did see a few of them coming, but the ones i didn't took me completely by surprise; and I caught myself more than once with my hand slapped across my open gaping mouth (thank heavens I wasn't reading it in public as I would have looked like a right idiot).

Reading The Goddess Test felt like stepping back in time to meet the gods and then yanking them forwards into our present time. It was a beautiful combination of ancient and new, trust and uncertainty, belief and second chances. I enjoyed every moment and didn't waste a second to dive head first into the sequel Goddess Interrupted (review to follow when finished). This is most definitely a very promising series to be watched!

If you liked this I would recommend reading the sequel Goddess Interrupted (review to follow when finished). Something similar but completely based in ancient greece would be Destined by Jessie Harrell. Another mythological paranormal romance involving gods and ancient heroes, that I strongly recommend, is Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini. If on the other hand you enjoyed the idea of tests, love and trust the I would suggest reading Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 7 June 2012
2.5 Stars (I can't quite bring myself to round it up to 3)

I was really excited about reading The Goddess Test. I love Greek mythology so the idea of Kate having to pass seven tests to save her mother's life had me really intrigued. I was expecting an action packed story line with Kate venturing into the depths of hell or at least trying to find her way through a labyrinth to fight a minotaur so I found myself very disappointed by the slow pace of the story. Not to mention the fact that Kate didn't even know when she was facing her tests so they were completely off my radar!

I felt there was so much potential to the story, especially at the beginning when you are watching Kate try to cope with her mother's illness. Some of the scenes between them were quite heartbreaking and having watched a family member fight a similar battle I really felt for everything that Kate was going through. However once Kate arrived at Henry's mansion things started to go downhill for me. The relationship between Kate and Henry felt forced and completely unreal, I didn't believe that either of them had feelings for the other. Kate found him attractive sure but we didn't see them spend enough time together for them to get to know and like each other. I also always felt that Henry was still in love with his first wife Persephone so how was I supposed to believe he had feelings for Kate?

The big reveal about what Kate's tests had been just didn't make sense. I can't say too much because I don't want to give you spoilers but I didn't feel that Greek Gods and Goddesses would care about the things they supposedly tested her on - if you look at any Greek myths it is quite clear that they don't look at sins in quite the same way a Christian would. I was also annoyed when the Gods and Goddesses revealed themselves - it felt like everything Kate had been through was a lie and if I was in her place I would have been livid with the tricks they had played on her. It even took away from the seriousness of her mother's illness and I just don't think there is ever a reason to make light of cancer. Watching someone waste away from cancer is one of the worst things I have ever been through and I don't take kindly to the way things played out in this story.

Overall I'm afraid to say that The Goddess Test completely failed to live up to my expectations. I hoped for a fast paced, action packed read and unfortunately that isn't what I got. I probably will still try the second book in the series because the publisher sent me both books for review but at the moment I don't have high hopes for it. Perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised though.
on 30 March 2014
Now, tell me that doesn’t sound like an AWESOME concept. Here I was, imagining an action-packed novel with Greek mythology and swoon-worthy characters spilling from its pages. And the tests? I imagined they’d be perhaps a little Goblet of Fire-like. Maybe some fighting and some seriously challenging tasks to accomplish.

Instead, I found The Goddess Test to be a rather fluffy novel with quite flat characters and a romance that I just couldn’t understand. I did enjoy reading it, but it certainly wasn’t what I was expecting and I’d have loved it to have been a bit more believable.

I mean, the tests were actually not really tests at all. I won’t spoil it for those of you who’d like to read it, but they certainly don’t involve fighting or tough challenges. I found them to be a bit silly, in fact.

And then there’s Henry, the love interest. So he makes her stay at Eden Manor for six months but the only incentive for her to agree to that is to keep her mother alive (but in a coma) until she leaves so that she can say goodbye. My first thought was that any daughter would realise that their mum would never want them to do that! They’d want their daughter to be free and happy and certainly not held somewhat captive by a total stranger.

Secondly, why oh why does Kate actually like Henry? Nothing about him really appealed to me, and if I were Kate I don’t think I’d ever be able to forgive him for taking away my freedom. Why would she WANT to pass all the tests and become his wife? I don’t know.

Another thing that irritated me is that all of the other girls died before Christmas yet Kate seemed to sail on through with hardly any attempts at her life. There needed to be so much more danger involved, because if it was that easy to protect the girl from the person trying to kill her this time, why on earth was it so hard all the times before?

Despite my ranting, I still did enjoy reading The Goddess Test. I just realised that I needed to stop asking questions and take it as it is, and in doing so I actually found the book to be a quick read that had some really good moments in amongst those irritations mentioned above. Just don’t expect action and seven tough tests like I did!
on 1 October 2011
Kate is a likable character from the off. Having to move across the country with her dying mother, you immediately feel sorry for her and what she has had to deal with since her mum got sick. Kate doesn't have friends and she is quite open in saying that she doesn't really want any either, knowing that she has to spend all of her free time taking care of her mum so right here, I wanted to give her a big hug. Even with a lot going on, no one should be without good friends to help cheer you up when you're down.

Things really begin to take shape though when Kate has a run in with Ava, a popular girl at school and this is where Kate meets Henry. Giving Kate a way out of her pain and grief, Henry offers her something that doesn't seem possible. I loved how the main plot line was revealed and how it all began. Henry is introduced really well but I do wish he had been given a different name. I know Henry was used to stay close to Hades but surely a better H name was available!? His name aside, I liked Henry. He was mysterious and troubled which gave him a lot of depth. It was great that way that his story was revealed and the way in which I got to find out more about him.

Secondary characters were just as good as main characters in this book and they really gave a lot more to the story. Without characters like Ava, the popular girl or the help around Henry's house, the story would have been completely different. Each secondary character added something exciting and different to The Goddess Test. Kate's mother is a big part of the story, especially with her nearly dying so it was nice to see that she was kept a part of everything once Kate went off to live with Henry and prepare for the seven tests.

The best thing about this book was the seven tests that Kate agrees to take. The way the story is written means that it is never really clear what the tests are or when they are being administered. There was so much mystery surrounding this part of the story and I couldn't wait to find out whether Kate passed them all or not and what the outcome was going to be either way. The end has a wonderful twist and I was quite annoyed with myself that I didn't figure some things out sooner. I do think the tests could have been made a bit more exciting though but the way they are done make this a lovely YA read.

The Goddess Test was a thoroughly enjoyable read for me and I can't wait to see what Kate, Henry and other characters get up to in the sequel.
on 31 March 2012
Read review at Mostly Reading YA: [...]

When I first received The Goddess Test I was really looking forward to reading it. The cover is gorgeous and the blurb on the back promised a great story. However there were times when I felt quite disappointed with this book.

Kate is a great character, she's mature and intelligent and it's great to see female characters like her in lead roles. Her relationship with her mother is brilliant and I loved that this was a parent and child relationship in which they loved each other, rather than the usual roles where the two bicker and irritate one another. Most of us love our parents deeply, even if they are annoying at times, and can't imagine our lives without them, so it was fantastic to see that Kate and her mother loved each other and were each other's best friends.

I also really like Kate's relationship with Henry and how it grew. Although she does find him incredibly handsome when she first sees him it takes a while for her to eventually fall for him. However I did find that her friendships with other characters were a little sudden. Ava goes from being an annoying cheerleader type who very meanly tries to trick Kate and leave her abandoned in the woods, to being her best friend, because Kate saves her life incredibly quickly. Although these things do make sense in the end for quite a while I found it confusing for a character to have such a sudden turn around.

I found all of the characters interesting in The Goddess Test and I enjoyed their interactions with each other and with Kate. However there were times where I found Henry a little unbelievable because he is supposed to be a god, he is supposed to be Hades and for a lot of the book there doesn't seem to be anything particularly god-like about his attitude or demeanour. He seems like just another pretty, supernatural boy for most of the book.

This was one of the main flaws with The Goddess Test. I never felt that any of the gods seemed particularly god-like, especially as these are Greek gods who are known for being powerful. I felt at times that the Greek gods were being muddled with human values. Why would the Olympians care if Kate sinned, when you consider that these gods themselves have always spent most of their time committing sins? I liked that the tests were structured around the seven deadly sins but I was also unsure of how Greek that was. Overall I found the gods to be too human, none of them seemed particularly intimidating or powerful. They seemed rather ordinary and I think that may have not been helped by them having very ordinary names such as Walter and Henry.

I also found it frustrating to have yet another supernatural character implied to be a virgin. As a god who has been around for thousands of years it is completely unbelievable that anyone would think he hadn't had sex. Especially as it is a rumour amongst the gods themselves. No one would believe it. Along the same lines it irritated me to have an eighteen year old girl referring to sex as "that". It is immature and I felt it was out of character for Kate, or any other character in the book. She is eighteen, not eight, and is portrayed as a very grown-up character throughout the book, so to have her refer to sex as "that" took me out of the story.

With the tests themselves I was also disappointed. I wanted Kate to be more aware of the testing, I wanted to be concerned for her safety and I simply wanted more excitement. The beginning of the book dragged for me so I was hoping that the middle section would up the ante. Although the pace did pick up I still found that I had to force myself to sit and read, which is never enjoyable. It wasn't until the last quarter that I finally found the book interesting and I finished it quite quickly. The twist was interesting, even if I did guess it a few pages beforehand, and the final reveal of who all the gods are, the results of Kate's testing and another final twist were great.

Overall I did like The Goddess Test. Aimée Carter is a very good writer, the prose is accessible and at times quite eloquent, there were points that made me laugh and other moments that tugged at the heart strings. Her characters are interesting and I did enjoy reading about them. The gods were interesting as people but I never found them to be god-like which frustrated me. The biggest downfall for me was the pace. It took far too long to really get started, and then once i did it was over. However I know that this is the first in a trilogy and first books are always difficult. The Goddess Test is definitely worth a read if you enjoy supernatural romance novels and I am sure that the second book will be even better.
on 10 June 2012
I bought this as a bit of a whim thinking it would be a bit different from what I usually read. I connected with Kate very quickly and as her story unfolded I did find myself rooting for her. Some of the 'twists' were a bit obvious but all in all it was a really enjoyable, not too taxing, read. I really enjoyed it. It may not be for everyone but then nothing ever is.
VINE VOICEon 21 March 2012
Loosely based on the story of Hades and Persephone, set in modern day where the Gods characterizations have fabulously quirky twists, the way in which their individual traits associated to their domains were exaggerated was something I especially adored about this book. Ava/Aphrodite made me giggle. Although it did take me a while to work out which God was which.

Written in first person narrative from Kate's perspective. I will be honest with you, at points I found Kate extremely irritating and this is the reason for my rating. Kate is very much what I would class as a doormat - blaming herself for things that were beyond her control or she had no influence in affecting. Saying that, I sympathized with her over her mother being terminally ill. The emotion was poignantly portrayed. The good thing about Kate is that she always tried to find the best in people, such an admirable quality, which in turn resulted in the positive qualities of people being brought out by Kate and endearing her to others. If I were to sum up Kate in this book I would have to say that she is a bit mopey and emo-ish but with an inner strength she hasn't fully tapped into yet.

Meeting Henry and agreeing to undergo the tests to become a goddess in exchange for spending additional time with her mother added to the portrayal of grief and how hard it is to lose a parent. I felt that the relationship between Kate and her mother was a little extreme, probably due to Kate having been her carer for a number of years. Kate feels she is only defined by her mother, she doesn't know how to be her own person.

The ups and downs of emotions alongside some ingenious plot twists make for a very compelling story-line, seriously my only criticism is Kate's doormat tendencies which made me want to slap her.

The way in which the tests were conducted, the fact that we didn't know what the tests were or when they were being carried out added to the tension of the narrative. The tests are not revealed until the very end was a stroke of brilliance.

Overall I adored the characters, the interactions and the plot my rating is a reflection of my dislike of Kate's doormat inclinations more than anything else and I will most definitely be carrying on with this series.
Now I'll be honest, first of all I didn't know what to make of this book. I've been dying to read the series for some times now and I got them at Christmas so I thought I would finally get around to it, it took me a lot longer than it normal would not because the book was bad, but because at the start of March my little girl turned 4, so with her birthday and the business in the weeks that fallowed, I was left without much time to read. Or motivation for that matter.

It started of rather slow for my liking, which is ironic because the story was moving forward way too quick, and I think that's why it dragged for me. Kate moves to Eden, the birthplace of her dying mother, so that Kate can experience the place that she once called home. Her mum is dying from cancer, has been for years, and wanting to spend as much time with her before it happens Kate agrees to move, that and she doesn't want to turn down what could be her mothers dying wish.

From the start Kate notices little things out of place, and when a prank goes wrong, Kate is thrown into the world of Henry aka Hades, and is forced to live with him as part of a deal. But that's not all, not only does she have to stay with him for 6 months, she also has partake in 7 tests to see if she's worthy or not of becoming his wife. And for Henry its his last time, countless girls have tried before but with him time is nearly up, Kate is his last hope.

This is maybe the 2nd series I've started about Greek Mythology, first being Starcrossed series by Josephine Angelini, and even though it doesn't live up to the story between Helen and Lucas, it was still an ok story. I'm trying not to judge it too harshly as there are more books yet to come but even though I've given it 4 stars, it wasn't without faults. Kate's friendship felt fake, her relationship with Henry moved to quickly and I found a lot of the storyline and plot twists highly predictable. (not the authors fault as such, I just know what's coming half the time) but even that being said I found my self really liking it once I pushed myself back into reading. I loved Henry, really loved him, and sometimes felt rather fondly of James too. Kate did however get on my nerves, I don't know why, but she did.

Like I said, it started of slow but picked up and became a book I was happy to read. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series and just hope that it picks up a bit more :)