Customer reviews

on 10 August 2015
I bought this as a gift for friends who are just starting their family and I got them a stack of kids books our family adore.

This collection was a must!

They are a little bigger in size than a CD case which seems small, but they are perfect for little hands. Big enough for cosy-ing up close on the sofa for a read, the pictures are big enough to be able to see all the detail, but sometimes you need to look closely (which is fun)

Alfie is 3 or 4, has a 1 year old little sister and they live on a suburban street with their Mum and Dad. The stories feature realistic, everyday scenarios that could happen in the life of any young child.

The books you get are:
Alfie Gives a Hand - Alfie gets invited to a birthday party, where the birthday boy is naughty and Alfie comforts a crying girl.
An Evening at Alfies - A leak from the water tank causes problems when Alfie's Mum and Dad are out and the Babysitter has to get her parents round to help.
Alfie's Feet - Alfie is taken to the shop to buy Welly Boots, He puts them on himself, but on the wrong feet.
Alfie Gets in First - Alfie runs in the front door ahead of his Mum and slams the door behind him, causing a minor upset on the street before Alfie manages to open it for himself again.

My kids have loved them since they were old enough to sit still for a story.
on 2 July 2017
Some of the best Kkds books ever written. Have never found a child that doesn't like Alfie, Rosie-May, Mum, Dad, or the neighbors.
Read to my kids now being read to grand kids...will also be read to their kids. Unfortunately not by me.
on 10 December 2012
I bought this for my friend for her little girl's first Christmas. The books are a little too old for her really, but then it is never to soon to start reading. My friend loved it, the Alfie stories are so innocent and old-world, no hidden moral lessons or insights to modern society, these are just nice little innocent stories about a muddy little boy. Pictures are gorgeous too. This little set makes a very nice, understated gift.
on 19 May 2014
Have a new grandson called Alfie and am so pleased with this collection. I am sure we will have lots of fun reading them. His Dad and I used to read Shirley Hughes books 29 years ago. Wonderful illustrations.
on 15 December 2014
Good little set for present or for your child. The stories are lovely and depict simple everyday toddler activities. The illustrations are great too and my toddler enjoys looking at them as well as hearing the story. Would suit child from 18 months up.
on 28 July 2014
bought for Christmas presents as they we're recommended by my child's doctor.
a friend has bought them recently after my recommendation and her set are fab and she is made up with them. great little stories and lovely illustrations.
on 5 August 2013
this is a handy collection of the alphie stories that my 4-5 yr old children used to love.
these are about everyday dramas that captures a child's imagination, e.g. we see how alphie locks himself in,how alphie needs his cuddle blanket to go to a birthday party, how alphie wears his new wellingtons on the wrong feet. all stories are wonderfully illustrated by the inspired shirley hughes.
this time i purchased the stories for my 4 yr old grandchild. I thought they would be great also for travel time in car and plane etc

promptly delivered in perfect condition.
on 16 March 2015
Wonderful collection of full size books with the usual delightful drawings to accompany the story. We had these for our own children and bought this set for our grandson who loves them just as much.
on 31 January 2018
Love her books.
on 3 November 2014
I love, love, love the Shirley Hughes books and so have the children over the years. Would definitely recommend these.