on 15 February 2001
I am not a toddler. I am not a mother of growing children. I am a student in my early twenties, and I simply love this book! When I was a child, the books of Shirley Hughes were among my favourites: because of the funny, endearing, recognisable stories, and not in the least because of her wonderful illustrations. They are little pieces of art, each and everyone. Nobody can depict young children the way they are like Shirley Hughes. When I found this book, I was thrilled. It contains old favourites like Dogger and Alfie, but also some stories I did not know yet, and that are not specifically aimed at children, like The Lion and the Unicorn and Angel on the Roof.
A wonderful collection in a collectible edition, to be enjoyed for years to come!
on 9 June 2017
A really great book. I fell in love with Ir watching a TV program about its drawings. So I ordered some of her books, and I am deleted. The drawings are wonderful and so well done, it is very realistic with a lot of poetry and pure joy! I am an adult, and appreciate those books for the drawings but children will appreciate both the illustrations and the stories. I strongly recommend the books of Shirley Hughes!
Shirley Hughes is such an incredible children's book artist - she manages to portray young children with amazing accuracy: their expressions, movement, gestures and all the subtleties that a great illustrator is able to communicate so well.

The pictures are so animated that they really bring the stories to life. It's a substantial volume and excellent value for money. I think fans of Shirley Hughes will also appreciate the variety of illustrations you get in this collection. The book is divided into four sections as follows:

1) Stories and rhymes for the nursery years
2) Stories and poems for young children
3) Stories and poems for older children
4) Stories for all to enjoy

The stories and amazing illustrations capture the imagination so well and I think this collection is a real treat for children - simply brilliant!
on 4 July 2016
Hopefully my grandchild will enjoy these stories as much as his father did, 40 years ago!!
on 17 June 2016
Just love reading to grand children ,the pictures are wonderful .
on 26 March 2015
gifts for friends . They were delighted.
on 23 December 2007
This book is wonderful. I bought it for my sons 7th birthday. He had mentioned Shirley Hughes a few times having read stories at school. We love reading the stories together, they are so wholesome and innocent which is very refreshing when usually surrounded by simpsons, pokemon etc. I would recommend this book to anyone with children.
on 9 September 2009
This is a lovely book for young children with a good mix of stories and verses and some charming illustrations.
I bought a copy for my own Sons and they particularly love "Alfie and Annie-Rose" stories.
I have now bought several copies too and given them as new baby/christening/birthday gifts.
An attractive hardbacked book to give as a gift and share the joy of Shirley Hughes storytelling.The Shirley Hughes CollectionThe Big Alfie Out of Doors Storybook (Red Fox picture books)
VINE VOICEon 8 June 2010
As a child I was transfixed by the stories of Alfie and My Naughty Little Sister. This book brings together a collection of Shirley Hughes stories to suit a child from 6 months to around 12 years or so. The book is divided into sections for younger children, beginning readers and older children. There is something here for everyone from poetry to simple stories to longer more advanced tales. All are illustrated with the fabulous Shirley Hughes pictures. There are stories here I loived as a child and which my own son now adores too - his current favourite is a tale about My Naughty Little Sister attending Bad Harry's birthday party with disasterous consequences.

The book is hardback and beautiful to look at and hold, I can see that over time the sleeve would become damaged and torn but maybe this is part of the charm that a well loved and well read book has. My son was given this for Christmas and we have been reading and re-reading it ever since - and we still haven't read everything yet as there are lots of favourite tales and poems.

Worth buying and loving.
on 16 October 2008
This is such a wonderful, wonderful book with beautiful illustrations. The stories are just what children experience and they can recognise themselves in them. Since we bought this book it has been favourite and has to be read everywhere (a bit difficult because it is quite big) and over and over. It is so cute that I don't mind reading it over and over either!