Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 January 2014
Ok..so you may see a bit of Abercrombie, Rothfuss, Lynch and Gemmell in there ...and your problem is?? I Chose this based on the excellent amazon customer reviews and was not in the least disappointed. An absolute gem of a read. Perhaps a few more than the usual amount of grammatical errors, but who really cares when you're being given a story as good as this with strong characters that you care about and a pace which just keeps you reading and reading..... This was my first read on my new Kindle paperwhite [great too by the way] but beware, because you won't get Amazon's quoted figure for use before recharging if you read this, because you won't turn it off. More than once after not being able to keep my eyes open at night and having waken later during the night I started reading again....just one more chapter... Not many books have done that to me.
For storyline read other and far more eloquent and informed reviewers, If you are selective in this genre like me and like your fantasy with more than a hint of substance with not much more than a smattering of magic, try this. Yes there were certain similarities in style and content with the aforementioned and a bit of "Left hand of God" in there too, but there's nothing wrong with any of that in my opinion. This author has obviously troubled himself to learn what makes a damned good story and how a good story should be told and the reviews bear this out. I believe this is the authors first novel and self published?... if so, another pat on the back is due. The last few years have produced some excellent firsts and this well deservedly joins them. I eagerly await the next installment of what has been a great start.
on 18 February 2014
like many i read many of these type of books and many of them are terrible. This bash by Mr Ryan at the gritty fantasy world is a very promising start. The story flows through out the book with regular highlights and sub plots that keep you engrossed. I cant wait to read the second book which is out in July i believe and see hopefully that Mr Ryan has followed up on a great first book.
on 29 April 2013
I picked this book as I was searching for new writers and new books to read. I'm very glad that I did. This is quite a fast paced book and a most enjoyable read. It's well written and that bit different. I would recommend this book. I thought I'd add another little bit to my review, and it's a warning. The front cover of the book has been changed, so don't think as I did, which was, book two is now out and just go ahead and buy it. The covers changed but it's the same book I'd bought previous, most disappointing. Still a good book though.
on 9 June 2013
I downloaded this book due to all the amazing reviews and I needed something to read on a 10 hour flight. I had intended to start reading for about the first hour and then watch some films..... as the pilot announced that we were starting our descent I realised what an amazing book this was!

The back story to the release of this book makes it even better for me. The fact that he released the story himself and only got picked up by a publisher after the massive word of mouth campaign just highlights how good the story is.

I have been reading science fiction/fantasy books for over 30 years and have read all (what I consider!) the greats; Tolkein, Hobbs, Eddings, Erickson, Gemmell and many others and I can honestly say that the character description and detail is as good as any of them. The one thing I look for in good fantasy books is a strong main character that you can believe in and has a continuity all the way through the book. He gives you this and some!

There are lots of small twists and turns and a number of half truths that keep the reader interested the whole way through and also make me count the days until the second book is released. This really is a fresh twist on peasant boy becomes most powerful man in world and is more along the lines of boy grows up to reluctantly accept the gifts he has been given. To me the most amazing thing is how quickly he throws you into the main story and how he maintains the continuity of the decisions and actions by the main character the whole way through the book.

This is the first review I have written on here as I believe the book is just that good. If you are looking for your new fantasy trilogy, look no further.... even if you aren't looking, still buy this book you won't be disappointed!
on 9 October 2013
The book is a clear 5 stars.

The plus points are as follows:
- it has a great, engaging plot, which as many readers have said makes it difficult to put down; I was riveted;
- the world Ryan has created is original and engaging, even after the story of Al Sorna ends in two books' time, I would love to continue reading other novels setting in his world;
- it is very well written - unlike so many of these fantasy novels, the prose is crisp and yet flowing, the book well structured overall, balanced all the way through and without lulls or weak spots.

Minus points are as follows:
- none.

Don't doubt it, just buy the thing, all the positive reviews are because it is very, very good.
on 2 May 2014
Cannot believe this wonderfully gifted storyteller had to self publish, beggars belief.
I have been reading epic fantasy for over 40 years and I would put him up there with the very best and include in that George Martin, Steven Erikson, and many more too numerous to mention in the epic fantasy category.
Absolutely loved it, could hardly put it down. I am about to purchase the sequel "Tower Lord".

I am hoping it's as good or better than Blood Song.
Keep them coming Mr Ryan, very impressed, I am only allowed one book a month (Her indoors won't give me the peace to read them any quicker?) So you have a month to deliver book 3 !!!!
on 25 June 2013
I actually bought this book on the strength of the Amazon reviews since I was looking for something to tide me over after A Memory of Light and as I wait for the likes of Brett and Rothfuss to hurry the hell up for the next installments in their series.

I have to say it was a pretty great read and took me all of three days to finish around my busy night shifts. Great story, good characters and written in a style very reminiscent of David Gemmel, another favourite author of mine. I shall keep a keen eye out for the next book! If you enjoyed reading about Skilgannon the Damned, then you will very likely enjoy this book.
on 25 February 2014
Whilst not my usual fare, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. A few pages in and I wasn't sure. Soooo many different (and difficult) names to remember, from characters to days of the week - this is a pet peeve of mine as, for me, it breaks the flow when trying to remember who/what is being referred to, but by the end of the sample I was hooked. Loved the story, the characters, the almost jedi-like sixth order, the world building and the twist at the end I wasn't expecting (I would've bet on the other one). Can't wait for book 2 :)
on 17 November 2013
For once you can believe all the blurb associated with a big debut release. This is a fabulous book, reminiscent of Patrick Rothfuss Name of the Wind. It is intelligent, well paced and packed full of action.

Believe the hundreds of positive reviews and buy this book!
on 22 September 2013
I cannot wait to read the next book. You are quickly drawn into this amazing fantasy. The story has depth and great imagery throughout. The cast are numerous bringing their own richness and unique character to the evolving tale.