on 21 April 2017
The good - the use of the female pronoun for practically everyone was interesting, the hive mind and last one left from the hive was great. The author enjoys politics and double dealing - quite complex and not easy to follow but I wrote some of it out and I think it's logical.
The bad - all the coincidences - arrives in the capital planet and bumps into people she knows all over the place, runs away to escape and bumps into ... The editing is iffy too (the "palace proper" turns up half a dozen times in only a few pages). I won't bother with the others, but if you're serious about SF you should read this
on 12 January 2018
Develops some interesting ideas with a very thoughtful perspective. In some ways reminiscent of Neal Asher or other "Hard SF" - but with a very distributive "voice".

There were moments where I wondered about continuing, as the scene setting is pretty lengthy, but well worth persevering with.
on 10 December 2017
Ages since I read a scI-fi book. Chose this one because of its prize winning status. Obviously very good novel with ingenious ideas and storylines. Although I have to say it is quite confusing,it’s great that it really challenges the reader.
on 9 July 2017
Starting off a bit unclear but then having it all explained in little steps was a wonderful experience and made me unable to stop reading! Onwards to the second book!
on 7 August 2017
Absolutely amazing book! Intriguing plot and interesting characters. Might be my favourite read so far this year.
on 15 December 2017
Really enjoyed, but once you've got past the exceptionally interesting premise of this book, the pacing of the storytelling and the writing did not enthral me. Still definitely worth a read, just because the universe building is so interesting.
on 20 January 2017
Loved this book, funny and interesting, the story is well paced.
It reminded me some of Ian Banks culture novels.
Now let me be to read the next one!
on 28 June 2017
This book is worthy of the awards received.

If you're still reading this review -why? Just buy the damn book.

I was riveted from beginning to end. Truly outstanding. I cannot wait to read the rest of the series.
on 18 May 2017
I'm still reading this but the next two are top of my to get list, and i'm having to slow myself down to prolong it. Stunningly good read.
on 6 February 2014
Starts slow and I almost put it down, but I perservered and I am glad I did. Builds up to a good story and develops some action, enough to keep me going and looking forward to the next one!