on 3 February 2014
Well plotted story with a carefully crafted background and a very unusual humanoid AI heroine/hero (?) I didn't think I was going to like it much to begin with, but as I read on I found it difficult to put the book down and in the end I found myself frantically looking to find out if a sequel would be in the offing! Loved the main character Breq/Justice of Toren.
One person found this helpful
on 7 May 2016
Very enjoyable opening to a SF series. Would be a shame to spoil the plot too much, but Leckie plays with themes around artificial intelligence and totalitarianism. The praise the novel got was deserved.
on 27 March 2015
I loved this book, the concepts, the twists, the interesting, perhaps surprising, use of gender, but mainly the breadth of Ann Leckie's vision. Beautifully written, I would love to see this developed into a series of Imperial Radch novels, the roots are all there in this first novel. The minute I finished this one, I read the second, and wasn't disappointed!
on 18 May 2017
I'm still reading this but the next two are top of my to get list, and i'm having to slow myself down to prolong it. Stunningly good read.
on 22 May 2014
This is science fiction for grown ups: intricately plotted, challenging, and thought-provoking. The book will almost certainly end up on a university's sociology readinglist, as its depiction of an alien culture manages to be both detailed and fascinating. For fans of Ursula le Guin.
on 6 February 2014
Thoughtful and fascinating, an exciting universe with very different concepts, and a brilliantly written story set in it. The only criticism I can level is that the end is a little to clean a set-up for the series, but then I can't wait to read them...
One person found this helpful
on 4 April 2018
Took a few chapters to get me interested, but then became a page turner. Pretty exciting for the last few chapters. Time to read the sequel now.
on 24 April 2014
The only words I can use to describe this is "tour de force". Excellent storyline that had me desperate to finish it to find out the answers to the questions. Ann writes very clearly and cleverly. Loved the book, well deserving of her recent award for best debut novel!
on 13 May 2014
I really, really enjoyed this book and the comparison to Iain M. Banks is a fair one. The world is skillfully-drawn and the concepts are macabre but chillingly plausible. The plot was great - never faltered - the characters had depth and complexity. I really don't have any criticism except that I would like more of these novels now! Great story and I cannot wait to read more from this author.
on 28 April 2018