Customer reviews

Trapped: The Iron Druid Chronicles
Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 October 2017
A really gripping story. It was unput down able. Love the series.
on 16 February 2013
Its the iron druid chronicles, what else need be said, excellent read can't wait for the next installment and how attic us is going to get out of his current mess.
on 2 December 2015
The fifth book in the Iron Druid Chronicles surprised me by being set twelve years after the previous book - a twist that I certainly wasn't expecting and one that left me trying to puzzle out when the stories were actually set, as I'd assumed the earlier stories were contemporary and struggle to believe that Hearne would want to be trying to predict the near future.

However despite the potentially futuristic setting nothing major appears to have changed in the world - at least in the limited time we spend in the company of mortals rather then the many domains of fantastical gods and mythical creatures. I was left a bit disappointed that the stories didn't continue in the same vein, but clearly the author wanted to shift some things up a notch.

There are a few references to an adventure which I have discovered, since finishing the book, was depicted in one of a number of interstitial short stories that I hadn't even realised existed. Again that threw me off slightly and made me wonder whether I'd been reading the series in the wrong order.

Anyway, back to this book specifically, which follows the characters as they are drawn back out of hiding and become involved in a complex set of rivalries which I'm not convinced I could have followed even if I'd been taking notes as I went along. Similarly I have no idea quite why one event led to another, and was slightly baffled by some of the action scenes which I think I was to tired to follow accurately enough to appreciate.

I enjoyed some of the other new detail though - some fascinating world building expansion explaining how Druidism works in this world, and some character development that I was sceptical off at first but later bought into, and of course the returning fantastic humour built around Oberon.

So overall a book I enjoyed despite feeling I didn't take it all in, and one that I'm certainly looking forward to following up with the rest of the series and the shorter adventures which ochre missed so far.
on 30 November 2012
I love the cover for this; it's so nice to see Granuaile on there. And it was great to be back with the trio again (adding in Oberon, of course) but I have to say this was probably my least favourite book in the Iron Druid Chronicles so far.

I don't know if maybe it was me not paying close enough attention or if it was just a bit all over the place, but I spent much of the book a bit lost and confused, if I'm honest. Just sort of letting the words wash over me rather than fully comprehending them. And whereas I usually like Hearne's little sojourns off into different mythology stories, this time they felt more self-indulgent and a bit teacher/studenty..if that even makes any sense. I felt like I was begin taught mythology rather than living it through the characters. Still incomprehensible? Oh well, I tried.

I'm also somewhat confused about Granuaile and Atticus. At one particular point I'm not sure if I was meant to read something between the lines, or...what. And that's annoying because that's what I was hoping for most of all--development between those two. I mean, it's been twelve freakin' years, people!

Anyway, the plot follows Atticus, Granuaile and Oberon as they try to find a safe a quiet and place to bind Granuaile to the earth as a new Druid. The ceremony will take three months to complete (it involves extensive tattooing), so it's important to find somewhere they won't be interrupted. Easier said than done as people seem to have cottoned on to the fact that neither of them are, in fact, dead as they led everyone to believe, which is something a few people would like to swiftly rectify.

I was nice to see Granuaile's badassery on display. She's going to make an awesome druid-- she's had an awesome teacher, after all-- I just still wanted more in terms of character relationship development. I've been saying this same thing since book one and now at book five I'd really got my hopes up that it might happen, but was ultimately left unsatisfied again. So that may well be another reason I'm slightly underwhelmed by this instalment.

But, hey, it's got Oberon. The only mind-speaking druid ninja dog in existence. So what more do you want?

3 Stars ★★★
on 13 December 2012
After what I felt was a poor fourth book (lots of great mythology, little real plot) I enjoyed reading this book, it kept my interest and made me laugh in all the right places (Oberon's the best). I have only given it four stars because, with the introduction of all the new baddies, the potential for a truely gripping and outstanding sequel is set. If the next book book fulfills all that is promised then I can't wait to read it and anticipate that five star rating.
on 2 January 2013
The entire series is about the last druid Atticus. For almost 2000 years he has been a fugitive and hardly a master of his own fate. In America, however, he finds compelling reasons to make a stand against his enemies and make it his permanent home. Along the way, there are hilarious escapades as he deals with all manner of supernatural threats.
Being alone, he is forced to make faustian deals in order to get the firepower to fight enemies which are literally gods but at last, in this 5th book, he is managing to train his 2nd and only living apprentice, the lovely Granuaile. Now, it could be two druids instead of one against a plethora of threats including the original force which annihilated the druidic order.

Sacrificing a little humour and entertainment, this is still a very enjoyable book. This book sets develops both plot and characters leading to a cliffhanger that sets up the scene for Atticus and Granuaile to fight back against the mysterious antagonist which killed all the ancient druids leaving Atticus the lone survivor.
on 8 December 2012
Too many gods, in whichever pantheon, are pompous. I like the way Hearne sticks pins and needles into their notions of their importance.

Then, when you add Oberon's outlook on human foibles, whether it's the merits of sausage or human mating habits, you're guaranteed a bunch of smiles.

This book kept me reading, but couldn't quite compete with all the Christmas brouhaha. Maybe if I read it after New Year's, I would of given it Five Stars.
VINE VOICEon 20 January 2013
Having fallen for Kevin's Iron Druid series since the first book it's been something of a must read each time a new one comes out. Here in the latest is a book that really keeps up the momentum that has been built up over the previous four excursions, the characters crisp, the prose sharp and when added to a kick ass plot with huge underlying arcs and historical payback, really makes this a book to savour.

Add to this a wonderful sense of familiarity with the characters that you care about, some wonderful turns of phrase as well as a great authorly directorial style and all round another tick in my happy reader box. Great stuff.
on 16 December 2012
While I enjoyed reading this a lot, it was to short, every thing happens in a breathless rush. Events happen so fast, that the reader like the Druid has no slow time, so the actors are spread thin and you get very little of their personalties. The dog Oberon has the most presence of all of them.
on 7 January 2013
This is several books in from when we are first introduced to the Iron Druid and his world. I have read all the books published so far in this series, with this one the latest release. I would say this book is up to the same standard as the others, i.e. a good page turner. The characters are developing far from the first book. The apprentice graduates in more ways than one and begins to take on a more than support role in the storyline. The iron druid himself seems to be needing to confront his internal demons as much as external enemies. Various gods show up and there are some high octane fight scenes. By the end (no spoilers) I was left wanting more, but satisfied with the book. Highly recommended.