Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 February 2013
If you thought Ender's Game was a great book and wanted to read the sequel then you're reading the right review.

Orson Scott Card wrote Ender's Game, then Speaker for the Dead, then Xenocide....
Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide take place thousands of years after Ender's Game, feature almost none of the characters from Ender's Game and are written in a very different style than Ender's Game (definitely not much action). Speaker for the Dead is an interesting story, but it's more of a murder-mystery and a look at small town family life. It doesn't feel like a true sequel to Ender's Game.

Orson Scott Card came back years later to write the Shadow Saga, following the tales of Bean. The true sequel to Ender's Game, featuring the same characters, the same time period, and most importantly, the same writing style (intelligent strategy / action).

I'd strongly recommend the Shadow Saga to anyone who enjoyed the original Ender's Game.

As this is the first review of this book, I'll confirm that the description is correct. This is the paperback omnibus with over 1,000 pages featuring all the books from the Shadow Saga.
on 29 October 2015
I've just finished what I think of as the last true "shadow" book i.e. not one of the ministories based in the same universe. I have a mixed reaction to Orson Scott Card's books; I really enjoyed Ender's Game and while I did enjoy his other Ender books and subsequent Bean-focused books, there are a few issues that stop me from rating these any higher.

The first is that Card is very good at writing really dislikeable characters. A lot of them are arrogant, sarcastic, condescending, selfish and downright unpleasant. Just to name a few who fit this mould: Bean, Petra, Ali, Virlomi, Carlotta, Novinia and all of her children and even the bugger queen and there are more. The fact that so many of the major characters are so dislikeable makes it hard to care what happens to them other than being secretly happy if one of them got killed off.

I won't harp on about it but the second is the fact that Card is obviously obsessed with religion and can't help thrusting it repeatedly down his readers' throats in his books. I wouldn't mind if the story points made sense but the books seem to have been written in such a way that it seems forced just so he can go on about religion. Are we really supposed to think that that far in the future when these books are set, humanity wouldn't have evolved sufficiently to reject that fictitious crap?

So, long story short, the books do manage to hold your attention and in parts are very well written but the combination of obnoxious characters and preachiness stops me from rating them higher.
on 5 October 2013
I read Ender’s Game when I was much younger and only recently got around to reading ‘Speaker for The Dead’, which got me interested again.

I loved The Shadow Series, which approaches the Ender story from a very different aspect and fills in some great background.
The characters are great, in fact I preferred them to the main Ender books, as someone else has commented Bean’s character is great. The story really has lots of depth, excitement and is quite moving and sad at times.

I would recommend reading ‘the series’ as I found it a bit confusing trying to find out what order they should be read in individually – indeed the shadow saga should probably be read in between Ender’s Game and ‘Speaker For The Dead’ (but I don’t think they were written in that order).

A note of caution!!

I loved these books so much I could not wait to get my hands on the concluding ‘Ender in Exile’ book, which to me was massively disappointing and really took the shine off the whole series, so if you’re a fan of Ender books I would recommend avoiding that one.
on 2 April 2013
A wonderful parallel story to the famous Ender series. I had to go back and read them again just to see which ends had been tied up in the Shadow Saga. Orson Scott Card explores key themes of friendship, loyalty and 'otherness'. Read both series!
on 30 April 2013
After reading Enders game and Ender in exile, this book was the perfect companion to continue with Orson Scott Card's universe. I especially love how the story of the battle with the Formics, and life beyond that, is retold through Bean, sharing a perspective you would otherwise have never seen.
Would definitely recommend.
on 25 November 2013
Ender's Shadow is an excellent read and a brilliant re-telling of the original story - particularly if you've just re-read Ender's Game, like I just did :-) It really does give an unexpected twist to the whole tale and I recommend it.

As for the other books - well - they are IMHO for completists only. It's not a joy to read-through and the take on geopolitics is - well - let's just say it's a difficult subject to write about convincingly. OSC doesn't really pull it off.

You won't feel ripped off, just disappointed after such a clever 'sequel'.
on 29 September 2014
Thoroughly engaged the whole way through - I really enjoyed the Ender series, however the pace slowed down so much after the first book...much more action packed in this series, and it's great getting a look into how some of the other characters think
on 31 December 2013
I loved Ender's Game, but this terrific 'opus major' has taken over my life! I can only manage relatively brief spells each day in which to read, so this has stayed in my thoughts for a considerable period of time. Wonderful.
on 28 March 2014
Even web I was reading Enders Game, I felt as if the author had just dropped the character of Bean and didn't know what to do with him! But the shadow saga more than makes up for it! If you loved Enders game you will love the shadow aaa omnibus
on 19 March 2014
This is a great series and has saved me a whole heap of hassle and money.
Orson Scott Card is brilliant.