on 11 March 2014
Briggs writing draws me in so easily. I ended up reading this book in one sitting.

Night Broken is #8 in the Mercy Thompson series of urban fantasy novels. If you have read the previous seven books then the main characters need no introduction. If you haven't read them I highly recommend you go read the first book in the series, Moon Called, as Night Broken is not really a stand alone novel.

Night Broken is about Mercy's 'ex-wife in-law' Christy calling and saying she fell for a guy who's now stalking her and killing people, basically, she needs help. Mercy offers the woman sanctuary at her and Adam's home.

Whilst dealing with the manipulative ex living in her home is going on in the background we have Mercy trying to deal with Christy's homicidal stalker, an investigation into the local brutal murders plus a personal request from a powerful fae.

I enjoyed the story and the action, which as usual was excellent, but I felt Night Broken was more focused on relationships. Not only the romantic ones but all relationships between several characters in this series. I normally tend to get frustrated with romantic writings within urban fantasy. However, I found the small tender moments between Adam and Mercy to be some of the highlights of the book.

The ending felt slightly abrupt to me I had to check a couple of times to see if I had missed a few pages or an epilogue. The main story was wrapped up but there were many sub-plots left open which I am sure will be investigated later.

Overall, an essential read for all fans of Mercy Thompson.
The core of this book is the reappearance of Adam's ex-wife Christy as a damsel in distress triggering his protective instinct and creating havoc in the lives of Mercy, her family, and the pack. Everyone knows someone like Christy - her ability to play the victim and to belittle and blame other people is breathtaking but very realistic and hugely funny as Mercy does her best not to lose her temper or otherwise react. Christy really is in trouble and by fleeing to the pack for help (and also to try to get Adam back) she brings danger with her without the capacity to deal with it. The search for Christy's stalker and his revealed identity represents the real danger in the werewolf world and contrasts well with Christy's nonsense.

The joy of getting to this volume in the series is that the author doesn't just tell the same story over and over again but she has actually developed her characters through their experiences in previous volumes and we see that in the way that they react to each other and the events of this book. This means that it is probably best if you have read some or all of the previous books as you will understand many of the nuances better than if this is your first exposure to the series. I have read all the previous books and the Alpha/Omega series too and it really added to my enjoyment of this book as there are fleeting references to all sorts of previous events which add real depth to the story (there is also a delightful passing reference to Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden novels which nearly made me laugh out loud).

The core of the book is Christy's return, the effect that it has on Mercy's relationships with the pack, and the problems that she brings with her. The author creates a fascinating adversary for Mercy in a god from the Canary Islands. There are other sub-plots too which are neatly interwoven with the main story and which leave lots of new story lines to be explored (hopefully) in future volumes; these include a fellow walker for Mercy to get to know, an unexpected discovery about Stefan the vampire, trouble for Tad with the fae, a secret government agency which has nefarious designs on werewolves, a new submissive werewolf for the pack with his secrets, a new member of the pack who is not a werewolf, and a difficulty with the ownership of the magic walking stick. I am really looking forward to seeing what the author does in the future with some of this material.

The book is told all the way through in the first person from Mercy's point of view and is full of her wry observations about other people and her sarcastic wit. There are some very funny moments, some very scary ones, and some tender scenes. In all, this is a captivating read - I was gripped all the way through up to the very sudden, but effective, ending. It is going to be very difficult to wait for the next installment.
on 2 August 2017
I lost track of the series order as using a public library and you get what you can grab. Reverted to my Kindle and rereading through the whole series.

So well written and each one a page turner I can read over and over and find little bits I either missed, or realised something that was hinted at i one book has been explained in another but so well wrapped, it didnt stand out as a random fact.
on 9 April 2016
Love this series. I think this book is better than River Marked but not as good as Frost Burned. The ex-wife story thread was quite good and having the pack around this time was good. I am getting a bit fed up with the women's attitude to Mercy, especially as she saved their hides in the last book. The quality of the writing is as usual excellent. However, I think Mercy needs a break in the next episode, she is taking a lot of punishment for a mostly human.
on 20 March 2017
Great seller, item as described!
on 12 January 2015
I have loved every book in this series and this is no exception.
If you love strong female characters and sexy wolves fighting for what's good and right then this is most definitely for you.
on 25 July 2017
Awesome thank you!
on 13 March 2014
I have read all the Mercy Thompson books, and have loved them all. This one was brilliant, they just get better and better. The only problem now - having to wait for the next book!!!
on 12 April 2014
I love the Mercy books. This one has the added benefit of introducing Adams ex-wife. The tension between her and Mercy brings pack loyalties to the for.
on 16 March 2014
Have read all the Mercy Thompson books they just get better and better,I agree the ending quite abrupt but all I want now is the next book .Well worth getting all of them in my opinion.