Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 August 2005
This is possibly only the 4th ever book I have read where I had a definate 'lump in my throat' at the end.
This is the 'origin' of the character of Druss The Legend.
The story starts with him as a young farmer and takes us through to the battle of Skeln Pass some 30 years later.
What happens in between is a real 'boys own' adventure as
Druss sets off to rescus his missus when she's captured by slavers.
I gave the book to my 13 year old son when I'd finished and he devoured it in a couple of days.
Demons, monsters,witches and wizards they're all there. Real nasty bad guys including pirates, slavers, evil emperors, mad princes etc etc.
The characters are well told. The good guys are all likeable and you will have your favourite..whether or not that character survives is a lottery.
It's the end that ultimately steals the show as the Battle of Skeln Pass is told and various characters fates are explained.
It's just a great book, easy to read, fast paced with great characters and dialogues.The fights are well described and you wouldn't want to cross Druss!
on 9 June 2011
Ever since reading David Gemmell's 'Troy' series of books I have been hooked on Gemmell as an author. I have since begun to read all of his books and the Drenai books are simply wonderful reads.

I was originally unsure about whether to read the Drenai books as I've never been a huge fan of heroic fantasy - however given just how much I enjoyed the Troy books and the wonderful writing style of David Genmmell I decided to try them. I am so pleased that I did and I have now read nearly all of Gemmell's books and urge anyone considering the books to do it, you will not be disappointed.

All of the books are great and can be read as stand alone books or in order. The characters are wonderfully bought to life, there's love, romance, humour, twists & turns, betrayal, revenge, heroes, villains, sorcery, savagery, battles, emotional roller coasters and noble deeds and you will simply fall into the world the Gemmell creates for you. These books deserve to be read and its a an absolute tragedy that Gemmell is no longer with us.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 February 2016
The sixth book in David Gemmell's Drenai series but chronologically the first in the saga following the adventures of Druss as a young man and a prequel to Legend. Non-stop action but still an absorbing read, never dull and always entertaining.

Classic David Gemmell. Yet another of the most brilliant of fantasy writers no longer with us and greatly missed.
on 2 April 2002
This was the first book I ever read of David Gemmell's and the first fantasy book I've read: I've only read his books since. It's the story of a shy country boy woodcutter, who has his village raided and wife taken. he then sets on a quest to find her and other events take place on the way such as the odd war here and there. It may sound like a typical heroic fantasy, but, Gemmell manages to be different to the other authors. With this book, he sucks you into his world of heroics and wizardry in a manner that also allows you to create the gemmell has created with him, so that each individual has a different imagination of the world but still great. From this book, you will come to know that druss is probably one of the best characters he has created in his story writing days, a character we would all wish to be after reading the book. READ IT!
on 3 July 2013
If you've read Gemmell you know what to expect. Heroic fantasy with just a smidgen of magic thrown in for good measure. This chronicles the creation of the Legend that is Druss. Battles abound, but this is about Druss searching for his stolen love, and in that searching how Deathwalker was born. Brilliant.
on 13 April 2016
It's Ok if you like historical fantasy fiction, and in fairness, I think it probably helps if you've read other books in the series. This was the first of David Gemmell's books which I have read, and is probably not the best one to start with. There are a lot of characters, and it's sometimes hard to remember who is who, and why they are fighting whoever it is they are fighting.
on 21 May 2013
Well you know what your going to get when you pick up a Gemmel book - awsome characters, intense battles and a tale that drags you into it from the first word. This book is no exception Druss is a fantasy character who's legends you have to read, if you've bever heard of Druss before then pick up this book and read as his life is a saga to rival that of Pug, Frodo and Harry Potter.
If you want an epic, easy to read and flowing book then look no further than this book!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 November 2014
Though this is the sixth book in David Gemmell's Drenai series it is in fact a prequel to his debut novel Legend and what a cracking novel this is.

As the title suggests the book follows the protagonist Druss as a young man following his exploits, building him as a hero, the hero, Legend portrays him to be. This book is absolutely action packed with brutal combat, be it armed or unarmed but there is real character, occasional sadness and emotion as Druss travels the world for years trying to find his kidnapped wife, never giving up against all odds.

On the journey Druss learns a lot about himself, makes many friends, fights in wars, fist fight arenas, among other things. Chronicles of Druss rarely stops throwing new characters and situations at Druss yet the book seems to travel at a steady pace, never rushing to get where it needs to be.

This was one of the books that really fueled my imagination and enjoyment of the fantasy genre as a teenager, even re-reading it years later I still found it hard to put down. A very worthy prequel to Druss's heroism and character.

+ Fantastic action scenes.
+ Which are balanced with tender moments of love and friendship.
+ Fits perfectly into the Drenai series with Legend.
on 18 December 2015
David Gemmel is one of my favorite writers on heroic fantasy and this book doesn't disappoint, I've always bought his books in charity shops or car boot sales but this means I've never read two books in the order they're supposed to be in! I've started filling in the ones I've not been able to find and I can definitely recommend this one which begins the tale of Druss the legend, the axe wielding Hero Man-Giant. Brilliant characters and story line as always. Buy it!
on 3 July 2013
‘The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend’ overcomes some early obstacles to become a gripping read that fills in the background of an iconic figure in fantasy literature. If heroic fantasy is your thing, and you haven’t already given this book a go, then you could do worse than give it a go.