Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 June 2017
Having read all 6 books, I'm only disappointed there isn't more. Heir of Novron in particular blew my mind at least 10 times. Highly recommend for any fantasy fans - also be sure to read them in order they were publicated;
Theft of Swords (contains The Crown Conspiracy and Avempartha)
Rise of Empire (contains Nyphron Rising and The Emerald Storm)
Heir of Novron (contains Wintertide and Percepliquis)
The Crown Tower
The Rose and the Thorn
The Death of Dulgath

It's star wars style, as the last 3 are prequels, but it works best that way in my opinion.
on 23 May 2012
This is the best thing I have bought this year. I could not put this whole series down, well it was kindle so I could not take my eyes from the screen.

Recommended to me by amazon, so I took a chance and started reading 'Theft of Swords'. I knew after reading the first chapter of 'Theft of Swords' I was in for something special but I could not imagine how great this series would grow to be as it continued with 'Rise of Empire' and then ended with 'Heir of Novron'.

I generally do not write reviews but this series had fantastic characters, amazing plot and great humour. I felt I had to add my voice to the positive reviews and say a huge thank you to the author.

Wonderful series, breathtaking ending.
on 2 August 2017
Good, clean, fantasy fun. Epic. Entertaining. Satisfying.
Not quite there at the top of the list of excellence but thoroughly recommended none-the-less.
on 5 April 2016
Could not put this down. Well worth a read.
on 21 July 2017
Brrilliant storytelling with likeable heroes.
on 18 March 2012
Okay, so we come to the end of either an epic trilogy or a six-part series, depending on how you look at it. This final omnibus contains the final two installments of Royce and Hadrian's story, Wintertide and Percepliquis. And I'm pleased to report that the are probably the best yet.

The first story resolves the New Empire plotline, as Hadrian goes undercover as a knight in order to save both the titular heir and the captive Arista. Meanwhile, the evil heads of the empire ready themselves to take full control, with only the shattered, isolated Empress Modina standing in their way.

This installment, while dark and heartbreaking in places, was a joy to read as it wrapped up a whole bunch of characters' destinies, as well as readying everything for the grand finale. The ending of Wintertide in particular (I certainly won't spoil it here) is a real emotional suckerpunch.

The second segment, Percepliquis, sees the return of the elves to the world, sweeping all before them in an unstoppable wave of destruction. Hadrian, Royce and all their surviving allies must form a desperate band in order to find the one thing rumoured to be able to stop them...

Again, the story was a delight; we finally get answers to all the mysteries of the series so far, some of which were signposted, some of which come entirely out of left field. Revelations will break, characters will die, and desperate last stands will decide the fate of the world.

The great thing about this series has been its feel of classic fantasy nostalgia, allied to snappy modern writing. Sullivan is a real find, and I would recommend that any self-respecting lover of the genre search out all three omnibi and devour the whole lot at once. Great stuff.
on 24 July 2013
Heir of Novron is the final part in Michael J. Sullivan's Riyria Revelations. It is an omnibus consisting of the final two books in the series, Wintertide and Percipliquis. Wintertide is in many ways the climax and conclusion to many of the series' main plotlines. Answers start to come thick and fast, amid twists and turns which are liable to give you whiplash.

For the most part, Wintertide is a book focused on Hadrian, with Royce and particularly Arista taking a backseat to a lot of the action. We get to see Hadrian in some really entertaining scenes. Wintertide is Sullivan's biggest Riyria book yet (until Percipliquis) - it's packed with action, tension, revelations and a lot of darkness. But cutting through this is the humour. It's not overdone, but I'd say this is the funniest book in the series, as well as being the tension filled climax it needs to be.

Percipliquis, on the other hand, is as dark and twisted as you're likely to ever see Sullivan become. It's a difficult book to review without spoilers, as most of what happens is related to the overall mythology of the world which Sullivan has layered in since the start of Book One. If Wintertide ties up the plots of books three and four, Percipliquis harps back to Theft of Swords and the history of Elan. It's not clear until you reach this point how Sullivan has lined up his pieces, all ready to come together for this final book. Royce and Hadrian are very much at the centre of the novel, but this time they are not alone. Nobody is left hanging in Percipliquis - everyone has their part to play. It's a huge book, but the pages move ten times quicker.

Sullivan answers everything and ties up the series with an amazingly tight ending. There are moments of joy, sadness and even Myron the monk gets his moment to shine. More so than any of the other books in the series, Percipliquis is like classic fantasy - a quest novel with elves and dwarves, wizards and dragons (kinda). But don't let that stop you - the difference here is that behind everything is a rich tapestry of worldbuilding, careful plotting and characterisation that Sullivan has been careful to line up throughout the series, meaning no matter how clichéd it may look on the outside, there is always a shock coming round to smack you in the face.

Heir of Novron is that rare beast in fantasy: an ending to a six book fantasy epic. It's an ending that feels well justified and foreshadowed to near perfection. Royce and Hadrian have come a long way together, and this is the ending they deserve. A fantastic conclusion to one of the most entertaining fantasy series in recent memory. If you want a deep, engrossing read that's nothing but entertaining at every step, please give the Riyria Revelations a go. It's the story of two thieves who become embroiled in an epic story to save the world. What more could a fantasy fan want?
on 2 May 2017
Undoubtedly one of the better fantasy epics in recent years.But the second set is clearly overpriced. Readers dont tend to spend so much on unfamiliar and relatively new authors
on 29 January 2012
My thoughts:
I am sad to see it end, but the end came. I still felt like this was one of those "I feel like home" books, because it reminds me of the books I first read and fell in love with. Which makes this the style of fantasy that is my first love, and my true love.

While reading there came a point where I just could not get enough, it was when the Percepliquis story started because it meant the end. I could not put the book down, but still I did put it down because at the same time I did not want it to end. I struggled between needing to know! And not wanting to know since then there would be no more. Of course the wanting to know struggle won, that is a given.

It was a good ending to this series and at times I giggled cos it was funny, at times I wanted to shout noo! And at times I said I knew it!! Did I really knew it? Well, I claim I did but in the end I have a million different versions of what might be going on, who might be who and all the rest. The book took me for a merry ride and gave me lots of surprises.

And what about our beloved heroes then? Oh I Heart Royce, but then I have always loved elves. I really fell for Hadrian in this one too because he is so chivalrous and sweet. And there were HEAs too, I do love them. Especially with one couple I did not know would meet. There are so many wonderful characters I would love to mention but that would take time. Though when thinking about what I have read I find myself startled cos I realize that I do not like Modina, I liked Thrace, but not Modina, the empress.

It was a wonderful conclusion to a great series and it had me at the edge of my seat. This is what I want my fantasy to be like, a great cast, a great story, a wonderful world and a rich history. In the end I would sure like to read more from this world, and certainly from this author.

Conclusion:
Of course I recommend this series to all. And do not be afraid of the page count, since I know some are. Fantasy books are huge, and this book is actually two books in one if that makes you feel better ;)
on 1 March 2012
This is an omnibus edition and contains the books 'Wintertide' & 'Percepliquis'.

Part One -
With the victory of the Empire over the last free nations all but imminent the impending marriage of the Empress is announced. An Act which is to be shortly followed by the tragic announcement of her death. Arista becomes a captive of Bishop Saldur and used as a bargaining chip to force Hadrian to act as Saldur's Assassin.

Part Two -
The True heir is free and rulership of the empire is secured in time to be revealed as irrelevant in the face of an unstoppable Inhuman Invasion. The last words of Esrahaddon are the only clue to the threat they face. For the last time Hadrian, Royce and Arista band together both with and against all their old foes and more in the search for the legendary city of Percepliquis. What they find there will redefine who they are and the History of Noviron.

The book synopsis doesnt really do this volume justice as spoilers would ruin the act by act revelations. And thats what this volume does. The previous 2 volumes(or 4 books) have set up a wonderful world background, history and set of relationships. The author avails himself of the fabulous backdrop to outright and shamelessly emotionally manipulate the reader here. A series of switches, revelations and lies now come apart. Anything is possible. Its the end of the road - for humanity and unfortunately for a number of people we were quite fond of.

Say goodbye to fun and familiar faces and places. The rather fun read of the past books is now overcome with a grim and forboding feel as the end of the world approaches. Particularly for part 2 'Percepliquis' - Heroic becomes Epic. this is fantasy turned up to 11. And yes everyones history is finally revealed. Worth waiting for - definitely. Any issues I had with backstory are answered here and the reasons for withholding become not just apparent but applauded as great storytelling crafting.

Obviously a well polished work of love.