Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 May 2012
This is by far the best Gears of War book so far and probably one of the best sci-fi books written by Karen Traviss. This is the fourth book in the series and is a compelling read for any Gears of War fan.

Gears of War: Coalitions End takes place at the end of Gears of War 2 and the beginning of Gears of War 3. The book has many flashbacks which give you an insight it the characters past. You get to know how some of the main characters met and how they became part of the COG.

If you have only played the GOW games, there are some new characters introduced to you in this book. Still very easy to follow the story but there are some moments when you are taken back in to the GOW past which may be unfamiliar.

The book kicks of where GOW2 ended after the sinking of Jacinto. The COG have now taken up home on Vectes, the naval base becoming the New Jacinto.

This book is ripe with emotion. Some of the characters have a very sad past, the book is so well written it leaves you feeling very empathetic. There is plenty of action written in and you will not feel bored or feel that a particular story drags on too long.

After reading the book there are still many unanswered questions, in particular the origins of the Locusts and Queen Myrrah. The book adds additional questions to the pile.

This is a very good book as a stand alone title but if you have read the other books or played the games you will enjoy it that little bit more. This book is a definite read for fans.
on 14 October 2011
To be perfectly honest, I was already a fan of Karen Traviss before purchasing the first published GoW novel. I had read the Republic Commando novels written by her and I was pretty sure she'd be a perfect fit for the Gears universe. However, yet again, I must admit that she exceded by far my initial expectations. :)

Every single thing you see in the games, either about Marcus, Dom, Cole or Baird is just nailed perfectly by Karen. Not only she understands the characters but if I didn't know better, I'd say the WHOLE Gears universe was penciled by her from the very beginning. In the end, I dunno who got lucky: Epic Games or us.

Anyway, long story short, this is in my humble opinion the best Gears novel yet. I almost read it in one single day, simply because I just couldn't stop reading it. The writing is smooth, character-driven and it keeps you on guessing... Nothing is black and white in the Gears universe and as a warm-up for Gears of War 3, this novel was just perfect.

I can't wait for the The Slab, but until then, I'm pretty sure I'll read this one at least a couple of times.
on 12 September 2011
As always Karen has done another fantastic job in writting this book, carries straight on from the last one but seems alot more gritty like the first one was. I really feel like I know these Guy's & never want the books or games to end even though I know they will. Must buy for any gears fan, truly epic story.
on 20 May 2012
Apart from the dramatic sinking of Jacinto (the last human city), things were pretty much still "business as usual" for our heroes in Delta squad at the conclusion of Gears 2. The core of Marcus, Dom, Cole and Baird remained intact; still supported by Anya and their invisible robo-pet "Jack". Colonel Hoffman was still in charge and every indication was that, come Gears 3, their raven would touch down somewhere and everyone would immediately resume slaughtering locust and high-fiving each other. There must have been a few scratched heads, then, when fans first started Gears 3. Suddenly, Delta are living on a converted warship/ark/farm in the middle of the ocean. Dom has grown a beard (and aged 20 years), Anya is in full body armour, Hoffman has gone AWOL, and a whole host of new characters have appeared from nowhere like this is an episode of "Delta and friends". But I knew what was going on: I've been reading Karen Traviss' excellent series of novels based on the games.

Each of the books in the series aims to fill out some of the back story from the games, and promises to reveal new secrets and insights into the characters' pasts. "Coalition's End", the fifth book in the series, covers events between the end of Gears 2 and the beginning of Gears 3, and also contains "flashbacks" revealing the past experiences of Cole, Dizzy and Bernie in the days, months and years following E-Day.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of the Gears of War novels, and this one is no exception. Traviss' writing is engrossing, and her experience as a former defence correspondent and member of the Territorial army clearly shows through. The novels have completely changed my perception of certain characters, making me more invested in them when I come to play the games, and I've been happy to accept the new characters as part of the Gears canon. Apparently, Epic Games were too - they enlisted Traviss to pen the storyline for the third game.

It is true that the books haven't delivered on one of the things that has kept me reading them - the promise of finding out more about the origins of the locust and other unanswered questions from the games. Much like the games themselves, the books seem to throw up more questions than answers, but I can't really begrudge them that. Instead of being frustrated, I have found myself eagerly reading through each book searching for answers and I'm not too disappointed that what I've got out of it is more detailing than new information.

If you are a fan of the series of games, I definitely recommend you give these books a try. It doesn't really mater much which one you start with either - as they all do a good job of being self-contained stories as well as part of a much bigger picture.
on 27 March 2012
Finally decided to jump into the literary world of Gears Of War. I think it was always going to be difficult to add more story to the already excellent creativity of the Gears Of War backstory and I feel it has shown in this book. The games are already very detailed and I don't feel that this book has added anything essential. It felt quite repetitive in parts and as much as I love the Gears Of War universe the book just didn't demand much of my attention. I would only recommend this for die hard fans!
on 11 March 2014
I've read this book back in 2011, after having played Gears of War 1 and 2, when I was eagerly anticipating the release of Gears of War 3. The story takes place after Gears of War: Anvil's Gate and takes place prior the events depicted in Gears of War 3. This book was a bit longer than the others and is at times slower, but in my opinion this isn't a huge problem. It sets the campaign of Gears of War 3 up quite nicely and I felt like I had a huge advantage by reading these books when I played through the campaign of Gears of War 3 (as in that everything made a lot more sense and the characters were already established)

Seeing as that I enjoyed all these books I thought it'd be pretty cool that Karen Traviss would write the story to Gears of War 3's campaign. Unfortunately I was quite disappointed, I think Gears of War 3 had the worst campaign of all three games. But I'm reviewing this book and not the game, I'd easily recommend this book to fans of the Gears of War franchise interested in learning more about the Gears of War universe.
on 10 July 2015
This is the final book of three in the story arc which bridges the second and third Gears games. Things are getting still worse for the COG's remnant -- even though they've found a valuable fuel source on their island haven, it brings with it a whole host of new problems. Locals on the paradise island of Vectes are struggling to feed themselves and the remnant, crop land is is being ruined, and the explosive enemy they face is showing up in ever more forms. The COG can't stay on Vectes forever - but when is the right time to depart, and where can Delta and co. go when they finally must?
on 2 September 2011
The final book of the Gears Universe, a simply brilliant read. If you want to know what happened between Gears 2 and 3 this is what you need. Also giving accounts of Emergence Day, this book adds plenty of character for all the Gears we've seen and played in the games. May be daunting for non-readers as it is 600+ pages long but it is well worth the time invested.
on 23 October 2011
Gears of War novels are easily some if not the best game-novels available. And every book gets a little bit better than that before.
on 6 July 2013
What a book, Biggest gear fan ever and it was just amazing to read, it was my favourite before the slab as they just get better and better but they are all amazing books! I've read other people say this but its true and you feel as though you know these characters now, sometimes I wish they were real because they are just awesome! overall 10/10 and a gear fan will love this book!