on 29 January 2013
Butcher writes an amazingly complex and intriguing series and Cold Days was no disappointment.

Following on from Ghost Story, the book delves into the Winter court and Mab's plans for the main character, Harry Dresden. The previous book saw many questions raised, and though some are answered, there were a few that were not. Our hero is taken from death and brought into the world of being the Winter Knight, fraught with danger and misery.

In the course of the book, we meet with old friends, old enemies and get a tantalising glimpse of the enemies Dresden will have to face eventually. We learn more about the Winter court, Bob the skull and Mab's animosity, Demonreach, the Gatekeeper, Molly and even some secrets about Dresden himself; with the hint of something special on its way.

Although it's understandable why Dresden would not go and see her, face to face, it was still disappointing that the reunion was delayed for another book; those of you who know Ghost Story will probably understand who I mean.

High on action, wit and sarcasm, the latest Dresden Files will leave you begging for more... looks like you'll have to wait with the rest of us.
on 16 August 2017
Another great book from Jim butcher enjoyable read.
on 31 May 2017
See my review on goodreads!
on 20 March 2017
Love it
on 24 May 2014
I just can't get enough of Jim Butcher's books. I've read this book five times and even know I still learn some more new things about the main characters. I can't wait to read the next book in the series next week !!!!!!!! :-)
on 23 August 2017
Brilliant book, excellent condition.
on 4 June 2017
For those following the Dresden series this is another great instalment. It is defiantly worth reading and then the reading :-)
on 6 February 2013
Love the series, the characters are very well developed and the world they inhabit is amazing. Good one and I'm looking forward to the next adventure in Dresden-land ... unfortunately it's next year till then:(
on 20 February 2013
very good book realy enjoyed it cant wait to read th rest off the books deff recomend it to my freinds
on 10 December 2012
Harry is back from the (almost) dead, and is now having to cope with being the Winter Knight. It has to be said, we are kind of used to Harry making lemonade out of lemons, but it's always a great ride watching while he does it. When he accepted the Winter Knight's mantle he never meant to keep it - only Queen Mab has outmanoeuvred him so he's stuck with it. And now he's having to learn to use it without it using him.

And while he's doing that, he's got to stay alive in the Winter Court where killing people counts as after-dinner entertainment.

And he's got to kill an immortal - but which one, though? That's the million-dollar question, isn't it?

And then there's the whole problem of Demonreach.

While Harry is wrestling with his multiple problems and being beaten up by various enemies, Butcher is giving us more to chew on. We learn more about the Winter and Summer courts of the fae, and - hooray! - we learn more about the Gatekeeper. And why's he called the Gatekeeper anyway?

The series has expanded in scope over the last few books. Harry isn't just a wizard PI any more - he's a soldier in a war, and an increasingly senior one at that. The action in Cold Days mostly takes place over about 24 hours, so it's a pretty fast pace, but there's a lot in there that I think we will be seeing more of later. It's clear that Harry is going to be increasingly more important to the war (which war?) and that the stakes are going to keep getting higher. Other characters, too, grow and change - at least one other character getting a major life-change that I certainly hadn't expected.

Butcher has given us what we wanted - Harry's back in Chicago, and back with the old crowd. But the clock can't be turned back - the changes that started with 'Changes' are continuing, and I, personally, can't wait to see where Butcher is going to take us next.