Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 March 2013
Some great ideas here, some really nice writing spoiled by jarring dialogue, lack of explanation regarding past legends that seem to have massive bearing on the storyline and anti heros that aren't all that anti or all that heroic.
I reckon that in 3 or 4 books time Weeks will be an author to read. This trilogy however relies heavily on Deus Ex Machina to the degree that you start wondering whats going to turn up next to allow our erstwhile protaganist save the day. Saying that, there are some parts where the books do truly flow and you can lose yourself for a while in the story. Sadly these are broken up all to frequently.

If you want the Assassin turned Hero story, i would refer you to Waylander by David Gemmell first.
on 17 January 2015
I was hoping for an ending to a really good trilogy, but found it hasn't ended. The main characters have headed off on more adventures (or landed in the mire) and we don't know what's happened to them, why? Is this going to be another 'trilogy' or series that never ends. So annoying.
on 17 July 2016
One of the best stories I have read in thirtyfive years of reading fantasy and I have read most books in that time
on 3 May 2017
Amazing trilogy, lots of action with a great mix of combat and magic. Plenty of twists and a plot that keeps you turning to the next page.
on 18 March 2017
Great books
on 27 January 2009
What can I really say about this last trilogy that I haven't already said about the previous two novels? Honestly not much! These books are just that good, for a first time author Weeks has created a masterful debut Fantasy series. As with the previous two novels this book is written brilliantly with Great in depth characterization and a beautifully set back drop.

The story has progressed a great deal from the second novel, there is a new Queen in Cenaria, alas for her nation she proves to be a corrupt incompetent who only cares for her own power. The true King Logan is off hunting the last of the God Kings armies while his friend Kyler tries to warn him that he is marching into an ambush that could destroy him and any hope for the future of Cenaria. As for Kyler he will learn the bitter truth of his immortality he must also figure out a way to save a nation and restore a King to his throne, along the way he will meet old friends and older enemies.

All in all I can honestly say this is one of the best debut Fantasy trilogies i've ever read, if you're stuck for something to read then this will definitely make you sit up and think. Brilliant trilogy!

I hope this review was of some help to you.
on 12 May 2011
I really really loved the first book, rushed to get the second one as soon finished it.
Liked the second one. And then..........I dont know if it was me but the third one got me so bored that I really couldnt get to finish it, the same characters that I cared for in the first book and followed in the second, seems to loose consistency, I cant believe that this book was written from the same person who did the first two.....and camon the biblical passion ways that kylar face his deaths.....too over the top also for a fantasy book, and at the end I couldnt care less for what it was going to happen to them and the story, closed the book at page 500 and didnt open it since.
on 21 April 2009
I saw a review for this book on Amazon so bought all three. Glad I did. Very refreshing to read an author who doesn't stick to the safe passages of other authors but is willing to write a story that includes taboo subjuects and proper swearing as you would expect from the class of characters. Literally couldn't put the books down and had all three finished in a mateer of four days. Blown away! The only disappontment I had was that there was no more at the end of book 3. Told my brother how good they were so I showed them and when I made him a drink he stole them. Now I am thinking of asking a wetboy to do me a favour! Fast pasced, excellantly written, truly enjoyable. Out of all my books in my collection with over 50 authors Brent Weeks eased into my top ten favourites with this trilogy!
on 27 July 2009
This is the last instalment of the Night Angel Trilogy, and the culmination of all the small stories coming together. I admired the way that Weeks brought it all together, but the ending left me with the distinct feeling that... theres another series in the pipeline.. I hope so, as there still seems to be story-lines opened that weren't concluded.. such as... the twins of Logan and the Princess.. what will be the outcome of Kylar and Vi. I'm waiting. The trilogy is good all on its own, but I'd still like to see what is coming next.

I found some of the story a little too emotional, but that's just me. a good stroy all round. Read the other 2 parts though, or you will definitely feel as though you missed something.
on 27 May 2010
End of the journey.
Good and fitting final. Touching, moving with powerful emotions.
My deepest admiration is for Elena. Hat's off.
Kylar, Durzo, Count Drake are my favourites. Even the Wolf.

However, there a few glaring drawbacks that I cannot dismiss.
First of all, the whole trilogy was a bit short on history of Midcyru. Brent Weeks has probably realised it and attempted to force feed us large chunks of it in the last book but it didn't go very smoothly.
Second, too much was squeezed into one book. Too many events, too much info. It all felt a bit rushed. Not the ending, but the whole Beyond the Shadows.
A few questions were left unanswered or unclear? Such as, why Kylar could not defeat magic of wedding rings with black ka'kari if it was devouring any other type of magic, or how did Elena come up with the idea/knowledge that Khali was a disembodied spirit who needed a willing person to sacrifice her body?

I would say that Brent Weeks has created superb characters but world building was a weak side of the Night Angel trilogy. All in all it is a very good story (7 out of 10), page turner.
I believe the ending is open enough to write more in Midcyru's world, maybe with some familiar characters. Who knows? I am looking forward to read it.