Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 January 2009
What can I really say about this last trilogy that I haven't already said about the previous two novels? Honestly not much! These books are just that good, for a first time author Weeks has created a masterful debut Fantasy series. As with the previous two novels this book is written brilliantly with Great in depth characterization and a beautifully set back drop.

The story has progressed a great deal from the second novel, there is a new Queen in Cenaria, alas for her nation she proves to be a corrupt incompetent who only cares for her own power. The true King Logan is off hunting the last of the God Kings armies while his friend Kyler tries to warn him that he is marching into an ambush that could destroy him and any hope for the future of Cenaria. As for Kyler he will learn the bitter truth of his immortality he must also figure out a way to save a nation and restore a King to his throne, along the way he will meet old friends and older enemies.

All in all I can honestly say this is one of the best debut Fantasy trilogies i've ever read, if you're stuck for something to read then this will definitely make you sit up and think. Brilliant trilogy!

I hope this review was of some help to you.
on 17 December 2008
I liked the cover and the blurb sounded interesting so I picked the first book of this series up in a bookshop a few weeks ago. It was good but nothing out of the ordinary, however, I enjoyed it enough that I did want to read more to find out what happened to all the characters and how it would all work out. I picked up books two and three at the weekend and I was so engrosed in the story that I ended up reading long long into the night and have been half asleep at work for the last two days. The glimmer of promise shown in the first novel has developed into competent and very enjoyable fantasy writing.

Without giving away too much of the plot and spoiling the story Book 1 - The Way of Shadows (Night Angel Trilogy) sets the scene and introduces the stories of Azoth, a boy from the underbelly of society who ends up training as apprentice to Durzo Blint a wetboy (magical assassin extrordinaire), Logan Gyre the son of a Duke and several other more minor characters who become more major characters as the story progresses. When this book ends Azoth has become Kylar Stern, has killed Durzo Blint and has gained mastery of a magic which means that death is only another injury to be recovered from. Logan has become King, but has lost his kingdom and is thought to be dead along with his wife Janine, and the Khalidoran enemy has captured Cenaria.

Book 2 - Shadow's Edge (Night Angel Trilogy) begins with Kylar Stern turning his back on being a wetboy and trying to start a new life with Elene, but when he hears that Logan is not dead but captive in The Hole he must return to save his friend, and ends with Kylar inevitably (but not predictably) saving the day.

In Book 3 - Beyond the Shadows, Terah Graesin has usurped Logan Gyre's throne and enemies threaten the country from all sides. Khalidor is in chaos and Neph Dada is trying to raise the Goddess Khali. Kylar must do what Logan will not to secure his throne and he must defeat a Godddess herself.

As a writer Brent Weeks has improved in each book. There is more depth both to the world and to all of his characters as the trilogy progresses and the storyline is original and inventive. The first book held promise but book two and book three most certainly deliver on that promise. I'm looking forward to reading more from this author in the future and although this is the final book in a trilogy I'm sure this is not the last book that will be set within this world featuring Kylar Stern. Definitely worth reading.
on 13 December 2008
Enjoyed the first book in this series, found the second book was more about setting the scene for the third book, but still an enjoyable read...if slightly darker than the first book.
But wow, this the third book, was spectacular, I couldn't put it down, a real page turner...though this book was released one month after the second book, I very much doubt it is the work of one month, it is beautifully written, drawing all the plots and characters previously introduced into a clever and well thought out ending.
It is rare to see the progression of all the smaller plots and characters wound up so cleverly into the main plot...Well done the author:)
on 21 April 2009
I saw a review for this book on Amazon so bought all three. Glad I did. Very refreshing to read an author who doesn't stick to the safe passages of other authors but is willing to write a story that includes taboo subjuects and proper swearing as you would expect from the class of characters. Literally couldn't put the books down and had all three finished in a mateer of four days. Blown away! The only disappontment I had was that there was no more at the end of book 3. Told my brother how good they were so I showed them and when I made him a drink he stole them. Now I am thinking of asking a wetboy to do me a favour! Fast pasced, excellantly written, truly enjoyable. Out of all my books in my collection with over 50 authors Brent Weeks eased into my top ten favourites with this trilogy!
on 21 October 2013
'Beyond the Shadows' is the third and final instalment in Brent Weeks' Night Angel trilogy. The trilogy so far has followed the life of Kylar Stern, a young man who has developed since childhood from an orphan thief to a trainee assassin (or `wetboy'), and who has now finally taken on the role of the immortal Night Angel, the embodiment of justice.

The most entertaining parts of Kylar's tale are his interactions with both Durzo Blint (his mentor) and the black ka'kari (the magical item that is the source of his special powers), which are full of easy humour and sarcasm. However, these conversations don't happen very often, and Kylar's chapter are mainly focused on his complicated relationships with Elene and Vi. This book also has a wider scope than the others: we see more of the world and its inhabitants. While this gives the book something of a grander scale, I actually miss the focus of the first two books, which were mostly set within the streets of cities. The first book particularly focused more on character development within the confines of the city's underworld, and I think that approach was actually stronger than that of this book, which mostly seems to be `send the characters to loads of different places on loads of flimsy pretexts'.

One of the things I do really like about the plot is that there is always something happening: lots of little events occur within the tales of most characters, which helps to make the novel a fairly fast-paced read (although some of the events are a bit contrived). The way the various plotlines finally entwined was fairly well-conceived, and the final battle definitely had a feel of the epic about it. The sacrifice involved in the defeat of evil is somewhat glossed-over, but adds a nice sense of loss and emotion. However, I feel that the payoff was somewhat unsatisfactory, mainly because [spoiler] it revolved around the man characters gathering around an artefact, Power Rangers-style, and using previously unmentioned magic to end the epic battle and instantly transform the battlefield into a place of beauty.

For me, some of the strongest plotlines were those of the `supporting' characters. I particularly enjoyed the portrayal of Dorian's descent into darkness and subsequent redemption; and Vi Sovari's search for friendship and acceptance was my favourite storyline in the whole trilogy. The characters of Sister Ariel, Solon Tofusin and Feir Cousat were also fun to read about, but unfortunately they are very minor and don't feature as much as I would have liked. On the other hand, there were many characters I simply could not engage with, and whose chapters I found a little slow and dull, which meant that I didn't sympathise with them enough to feel the appropriate emotional impact of their various fates. I think this is one aspect that detracted from my enjoyment of the book: the fact that Weeks has so many good characters yet does not seem to develop them as strongly as he perhaps could have, while placing too much focus on characters who are a little two-dimensional.

There are plenty of aspects within the book that make it gripping - such as the torture of Kylar, the fate of the usurper queen Terah Graesin, the mystery of the Dark Hunter and the continual revelations about Durzo Blint - but there is also plenty of stuff in between that makes it, well, less-than gripping. I did enjoy reading it, but as the conclusion of a trilogy? It goes out with more of a whimper than a bang.

(Review first posted on my blog 'The Half-Strung Harp'.)
on 18 March 2014
Being the first series and books written by this author, I think he deserves a 6 star vote. This is the second time that I would read the series and still as entertaining and engaging as when I read them the first time.

Book 3 was definitely full of humour, action and pulled all the plot lines together very well. But the series ends, leaving you with a huge anticipation of what next? Definitely room for a new series of what happens with Kylar and Dorian's sons when they grow up and the battle with the Dark one.
on 17 January 2015
I was hoping for an ending to a really good trilogy, but found it hasn't ended. The main characters have headed off on more adventures (or landed in the mire) and we don't know what's happened to them, why? Is this going to be another 'trilogy' or series that never ends. So annoying.
on 11 March 2013
Some great ideas here, some really nice writing spoiled by jarring dialogue, lack of explanation regarding past legends that seem to have massive bearing on the storyline and anti heros that aren't all that anti or all that heroic.
I reckon that in 3 or 4 books time Weeks will be an author to read. This trilogy however relies heavily on Deus Ex Machina to the degree that you start wondering whats going to turn up next to allow our erstwhile protaganist save the day. Saying that, there are some parts where the books do truly flow and you can lose yourself for a while in the story. Sadly these are broken up all to frequently.

If you want the Assassin turned Hero story, i would refer you to Waylander by David Gemmell first.
on 27 July 2009
This is the last instalment of the Night Angel Trilogy, and the culmination of all the small stories coming together. I admired the way that Weeks brought it all together, but the ending left me with the distinct feeling that... theres another series in the pipeline.. I hope so, as there still seems to be story-lines opened that weren't concluded.. such as... the twins of Logan and the Princess.. what will be the outcome of Kylar and Vi. I'm waiting. The trilogy is good all on its own, but I'd still like to see what is coming next.

I found some of the story a little too emotional, but that's just me. a good stroy all round. Read the other 2 parts though, or you will definitely feel as though you missed something.
on 18 March 2009
I love Brent Weeks' style as it reminds me of some of the books of my old time favorite Michael A.Stackpole. The characters stay interesting, the plot twists and turns as in the two previous books... My only beef with the book is that there should have been a fourth part. Suddenly, half way in the book it feels as if the autor realized that he had only half a book left to finish the story. Interesting plot paths fade away or are abruptly cut off. It stays interesting but it could have been so much better. Still, the whole trilogy is among the best series i have read in a long long time. Highly recommended. And on the off chance Brent Weeks reads this: I WANT MORE!!!!!